Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Don Johnson

Quote from: NedFlanders on April 14, 2012, 09:47:14 AM
Was down an the An Riocht Banbridge game last night, decent game on poor field. An Riocht had to dig deep to come away with the points, Chris Killen hit 1-6 for us. Have to say though, Banbridge is a poor poor ground for football, has to be one the poorest in the county, spectators literally on the field with the players, making it near impossible for linesmen to give decisions, pathetic!!

You've not been to Magheralin then have you?

general

Lads no jokin here, talking about football grounds!! I was out in the aran islands this week and on one of the islands (inis iorr) there was a fantastic football pitch!! Full size, all marked out and fences and very good stop nets!! Makes ya wonder!! Them facilities on a island just full of rock! Not to mention the 3g training pitch! Think that team plays in the galway 2nd league

PAULD123

I happen to agree with Don Johnson that it would be better to have a seperate County and Club thread. But until everyone else takes up his suggestion I'm posting in both places.

The team shows a lot of messing about. But in fact the only missing player from last week is Gordon. Why not just a straight switch Turley for Gordon and leave the rest of the team unchanged? So maybe Turley goes in straight for Grodon at FB or maybe he playes CHB and McCardle drops to FB. But that was the only alteration that was actually required. The team played quite well last week and as teh game went on the passing improved. Now we start with yet another new formation. This can hardly help the players to know what the other guys will be doing around them.

Too many changes are not a good thing. Kerry and Cork field fairly consistent sides and last year Dublin did the same. In our best recent year 2010, we had a very settled first fifteen and I am sure that helped the team interact with each other as well as they did. 

5 Sams

All very quiet over in the bridge...youse got some hidin from the noisy neighbours...what the fcuk happened??
The Aristocrat Years

The Real Gael

Interesting start to our senior leagues this weekend, Cant help but feel some clubs will treat the league with serious contempt this year due to the zero relegation in division one. Ballyholland, Longstone, Saval and these other small clubs who regularly flirt with relegation, what is their motivation now this year??????

Result of the night goes to the mighty men from Burren, a previous poster hit the nail on the head, the bridge are finished and have been for some time, while the men from St Marys could be set to dominate our game for the foreseeable future which will help extend their underage recruitment even further outside their parish  ;)

Faceinthecrowd

Talk about Burren underage..........I saw their u-14's play in the Down feile at St. colmans last Monday, they were very impressive. So many of them very comfortable on the ball, and mistakes were a rarity. Closest to them were Carryduff, but showed more tenacity and brawn than stylish football. Shamrocks struggled, they only had a couple of decent footballers, compared to their team last year.
Shamrocks must be a formidable team at u16 this year, saw they beat Rostrevor 8-24 to 0-1 during the week, considering Rostrevor beat Shamrocks in the u16 south down final last year and went on to beat Carryduff in the county final.
Interested in that comment about Burren bringing in lads from outside the parish, is that really going on and if so, how is it happening?

NP 76

Was also at the feile on monday and have to say the Burren team was very good . Thought the full forward was excellent and could take a score with ease . Its funny that the remark was passed that once Burren have a good side they throw all their resources at it . They had alot of big names along the line at the college and then when they got into the final the calls must of went out and alot more people arrived . To be fair i thought the Carryduff team was excellent and played some great football

behind the wire

Quote from: NedFlanders on April 14, 2012, 09:47:14 AM
Was down an the An Riocht Banbridge game last night, decent game on poor field. An Riocht had to dig deep to come away with the points, Chris Killen hit 1-6 for us. Have to say though, Banbridge is a poor poor ground for football, has to be one the poorest in the county, spectators literally on the field with the players, making it near impossible for linesmen to give decisions, pathetic!!

Thoroughly agree ned. If you know anyone that will donate a few quid to us to make a new field just drop me a pm.
He who laughs last thinks the slowest

amallon

Very poor show from the Bridge, this could be a long season of rebuilding.  At least we can't get relegated!  ;)
Disclaimer: I am responsible for MY comments only.  I don't own this site.

NedFlanders

One of the most open games of football ive seen in a brave while, hardly any tackles or pressure when kickers went to take their scores. Cork never had to get outta 3rd gear, Kerrigan ran the show, no doubting it, the lad is a cracking football, but the down defence still needs some addressing. Dont understand how Daniel McCartan expects to mark a man when he's 5 bloody yards away, must be the family ties again!! Thought big McConvillie did very well, kept working hard especially for the goal and was unlucky to be taken off

The Real Gael

Quote from: NedFlanders on April 15, 2012, 08:14:15 PM
One of the most open games of football ive seen in a brave while, hardly any tackles or pressure when kickers went to take their scores. Cork never had to get outta 3rd gear, Kerrigan ran the show, no doubting it, the lad is a cracking football, but the down defence still needs some addressing. Dont understand how Daniel McCartan expects to mark a man when he's 5 bloody yards away, must be the family ties again!! Thought big McConvillie did very well, kept working hard especially for the goal and was unlucky to be taken off

Was he playing today?

When We Win

Just see that Div 3 is going rightly this year. It is not even May and there is nearly a quarter of the games played. Lessons must have been learnt from last season. Still early in the season but even the table looks unfamiliar with a few teams struggling you wouldnt expect after last season .

I am going to make a few bold decisions for tonights games based on some unprecedented results to date: Wins for

Saul at home to Ballymartin by 4
Darragh Cross away to Tullylish by 1 (potential for a draw in this one. neither team hitting big scores)
St Johns by 7
Ardglass by 3 at home
Bosco away by 6

Now if only i had the odds.

turkey+ham

anyone got a league table for division 3?

PAULD123

Lads we have an over 35s team. we played a few challenge matches last year against An Riocht and Bosco. It is just for a bit of fun for the lads that want another we turn out in their club colours. Generally we have a match and then a bite to eat in the hosting club and a bit of a drink/craic.

Would anyone here from another club be interested in getting an over 35s team together for a friendly match? Would be great to get a few more games going.

Down Mad

Turkey & Ham

All the up to date league tables are on the Down website.

Click on Fixtures & Results and then follow Down Competitions-Football-Results-Senior-All County league and then click on whichever league you want.