Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ardtole

Ardglass are home for 9 of their first 12 games in the league, I didnt hear if this has been ammended since.

johnneycool

Quote from: ardtole on March 08, 2012, 07:24:00 PM
Ardglass are home for 9 of their first 12 games in the league, I didnt hear if this has been ammended since.

Something similar happened a few years back in the hurling fixtures where Bredagh were to play 7 away fixtures on the bounce. The fixtures were amended a few weeks later.

5 Sams

Quote from: Minus15 on March 08, 2012, 06:29:30 PM
I see a third set of Fixtures have been released for Div3. The reason being sequences of home or away games leading to new fixtures being released. Don't be surprised if this is to be amended again before 25th March. At first glance I can see a couple of clubs with 3 away fixtures in a row and 1 club with a run of 4 home fixtures. There is surely more instances.

How hard is it to get this right?

New fixtures secretary this year lads...fcuk sake give him a chance before you go to town on him :-[
The Aristocrat Years

NP 76

Down team to face Mayo on Down website
Brendan Mc Veigh
D Mc Cartan
C Garvey
D Turley
D Gordon
A Brannigan
N Mc Parland
A Rodgers
K King
D Hughes
M Poland
A Carr
C Laverty
B Coulter
C Maginn
Good to see a team announced today instead of the nonsense last week   

Minus15

Quote from: 5 Sams on March 08, 2012, 09:27:35 PM
Quote from: Minus15 on March 08, 2012, 06:29:30 PM
I see a third set of Fixtures have been released for Div3. The reason being sequences of home or away games leading to new fixtures being released. Don't be surprised if this is to be amended again before 25th March. At first glance I can see a couple of clubs with 3 away fixtures in a row and 1 club with a run of 4 home fixtures. There is surely more instances.

How hard is it to get this right?

New fixtures secretary this year lads...fcuk sake give him a chance before you go to town on him :-[

Not having a go at any one person 5sams just you would think that there would be some sort of formula in place that has been used in previous years to draw up the fixtures. In fact, there should be more than one man behind this sort of thing. When the reason that new fixtures are being drawn up twice is instances of long sequences of home or away fixtures, you would think that more than one man would be looking at this to ensure that things are rectified before sending out again! I personally had no grievance with these sequences but I can see why clubs would voice their disapproval.

whitegoodman

Quote from: NP 76 on March 08, 2012, 10:42:36 PM
Down team to face Mayo on Down website
Brendan Mc Veigh
D Mc Cartan
C Garvey
D Turley
D Gordon
A Brannigan
N Mc Parland
A Rodgers
K King
D Hughes
M Poland
A Carr
C Laverty
B Coulter
C Maginn
Good to see a team announced today instead of the nonsense last week   

Strange looking team, Gordon at wing back, Brannigan at Centre back, 5 small fowards again.  Would much rather had Turley at CHB, Gordon to midfield and ambrose to wing foward for a start.

Mourne Rover

It's great to see a team announced at the proper time, and it looks as though some expressions of concern here and elsewhere have been taken on board. However, it is very difficult to see how Kevin McKernan and Peter Turley will both be on the bench on Sunday. It must also be unlikely that, after Benny's recent public comments, he will be left alone up front as part of an approach which he plainly does not favour.  Turley or McKernan or both into the half back line, Gordon to midfield and KK to full forward would make sense as late switches. Our half forward line is a concern, as it did not function properly last week, and we are taking on the form team of the division, but at least we have the opportunity to put some things right.

PAULD123

Quote from: whitegoodman on March 08, 2012, 11:44:42 PM
Strange looking team, Gordon at wing back, Brannigan at Centre back, 5 small fowards again.  Would much rather had Turley at CHB, Gordon to midfield and ambrose to wing foward for a start.

Totally agree with WGM's comment. I also agree with Mourne Rover - "Turley or McKernan or both into the half back line, Gordon to midfield and KK to full forward would make sense"

I just hope James sees sense. Though I would still prefer Turley with Gordon in Midfield, Rogers half forward and King up front. Does anyone know what has happened to Doyle? Is he injured again?

whitegoodman

Think Doyle has a recurrance of an old calf injury.

By the look of that forward line the 2 men FF line will remain with Maginn coming out the field.  Not a lineup that would inspire but heres hoping they can pull off a surprise victory.

Dubh driocht

Good to see the team although I think Peter Turley brings a lot more to the team than Aidan Brannigan- an honest player who gives his all for Down so no disrespect to him but Turley brings a physical presence we need.
I have to say that I cannot see what AOR brings to the party. I have watched him at close quarters during Mc Kenna Cup and league and he has no way with him. He doesn't seem to respect the players or officials -maybe he is a good trainer but we need to improve our man-management, not make it worse. James is clever - he was a clever footballer but , like everyone, he has strengths and weaknesses. He should bring in people that complement him, not re-inforce his stubborness.Young players need to be blended in, not hauled off and on, while older players need respect.The Eoin experiment has failed- a great footballer plagued by injury but better to keep him for club cameos. A point in Castlebar would be a good result but we need a tight, content squad on the road and I'm not sure if we have that.

Pangurban

Having initially welcomed O Rourkes appointment, i now believe it was a mistake. His behaviour on the line appears to have an unsettling effect on some players. On and off the field he appears to have to much say and influence. Every Paper you pick up has quotes and comments from him re. players and tactics, some of them contradictory. I welcomed him for his experience, dont know if he is a good trainer or coach, but performances since his arrival give rise to doubt re. his ability. It is now my opinion that we have better Men for the job in Down, i cant see what he is bringing to the table

here comes 6

AOR was brought in as coach. The coachs job is a behind the scenes job and thats where he should be kept. Hes a show off thats wants the lime ligt as it throws his name into the hat for bigger pay packets.

Leo

Tuned into live commentary on destination newry for down vs mayo now....
the Statler & Waldorf of commentary (That's correct, sez Waldorf - constantly!!)
Great craic.
Fierce tame altogether

marsbarkid

cant get the destination newry coverage, anyone any links to a Connacht radio station playing the match?

ardtole