Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ardtole

I see there is a board discussing the unlikely prospect of ballykinlar and dundrum amalgamating. I was just wondering do any of the mourne posters remember greencastle, lisnacree and kilkeel amalgamating  and was there much controversy at the time. It seemed to work out ok in the end, im from the other end of the county so id know no one from the kingdom but often wondered how things were at the time.

Lecale2

The An Riocht amalgamation wasn't without it's problems. There were many individuals who refused to support the new club but from a football point of view the new club did fairly well. The facilies at Dunavil are far better than Lisnacree or Greencastle could ever have provided and Greencastle probably couldnt have carried on for long with very small numbers.
The main downside of the amalgamation was how hurling & camogie was allowed to die in the area. Kilkeel had been a strong hurling club and while An Riocht won a IHC and JHC inside 6 or 7 years hurling wa dead in the Mourne area and camogie followed.

5 Sams

The Kerry team for Sunday is as follows:

1. Brendan Kealy (Kilcummin)
2. Marc O Se (An Ghaeltacht) 3. Daniel Bohan (Austin Stacks) 4. Killian Young (Renard)
5. Peter Crowley (Laune Rangers) 6. Aidan O'Mahony (Rathmore) 7. Brian Maguire (Emmets)
8. Anthony Maher (Duagh) 9. Bryan Sheehan (St Marys)
10. Paul Galvin (Finuge) 11. Darran O'Sullivan (Glenbeigh/Glencar) 12. Declan O'Sullivan (Dromid)
13. James O'Donoghue (Legion) 14. Kieran Donaghy (Austin Stacks) 15. Patrick Curtin (Moyvane)

Apart from them having one of the best half forward lines in the last 20 years...would we not fancy ourselves against this team...we're fcuked at full back as usual but Donaghy is not playing well so we might get away with it...I think we're worth a punt :-\
The Aristocrat Years

GAA_Talk

Quote from: 5 Sams on March 02, 2012, 12:06:44 AM

2. Marc O Se (An Ghaeltacht) 3. Daniel Bohan (Austin Stacks) 4. Killian Young (Renard)
5. Peter Crowley (Laune Rangers) 6. Aidan O'Mahony (Rathmore) 7. Brian Maguire (Emmets)
10. Paul Galvin (Finuge) 11. Darran O'Sullivan (Glenbeigh/Glencar) 12. Declan O'Sullivan (Dromid)
13. James O'Donoghue (Legion) 14. Kieran Donaghy (Austin Stacks) 15. Patrick Curtin (Moyvane)

Apart from them having one of the best half forward lines in the last 20 years...would we not fancy ourselves against this team...we're fcuked at full back as usual but Donaghy is not playing well so we might get away with it...I think we're worth a punt :-\

As an impressive a line up as you'll see start this year. 14 different clubs represented on that starting 15!!

£5 double on Down and Ireland returns about £63 on William Hill :)

redandblackareback

Quote from: 5 Sams on March 02, 2012, 12:06:44 AM

Totally agree 5Sams, dont see why we couldnt beat that team. Its a very average looking Kerry defence which we should exploit, as long as we go for it and dont end up with half of our forward line playing the ball across the field in our half  >:(

snoopdog

Obviously a very important game for Down this weekend, Kerry are Kerry and no matter what team they have out they will be tough to beat. They seem to have a conveyor belt down there.
got me thinking to the last time Down lost a home league game, i know we drew with Tipp back in division 2 in 2010 but am i right in saying we havent lost at home since Cavan beat us in 2008? i remeber being at it a wet and windy night in Div 3?

western exile

Quote from: snoopdog on March 02, 2012, 11:40:26 AM
Obviously a very important game for Down this weekend, Kerry are Kerry and no matter what team they have out they will be tough to beat. They seem to have a conveyor belt down there.
got me thinking to the last time Down lost a home league game, i know we drew with Tipp back in division 2 in 2010 but am i right in saying we havent lost at home since Cavan beat us in 2008? i remeber being at it a wet and windy night in Div 3?
I think that was 2009. 
But you are correct in that we have not been beaten at a home since.

EagleLord

That's quite a stat there. havign 14 different clubs in a startign 15!

I wonder what a Down team would look like if only 1 player from each club was allowed to be selected? Anyone want to have a go?

1. McVeigh (An Riocht)
2. Rafferty (Newry Shamrocks)
3. Gordan (Loughinisland)
4. McArdle (Annaclone)
5. Carr (Clonduff)
6. McKernan (Burren)
7. Doyle (Liatrom)
8. Turley (Downpatrick)
9. McAreevy (Tullylish)
10. Maginn (Bryansford)
11. Poland (Longstone)
12. Hughes (Saval)
13. Laverty (Kilcoo)
14. Coulter (Mayobridge)
15. McComisky (Dundrum)

Mourne Rover

Paddy Power has us at 11/4 on Sunday, which must be the longest odds we have been given for a home fixture for many years and reflects how atrocious we were in Cork. However, we are in fortress Newry for this game, where we have never lost under James in the league, and it is a fantastic incentive to host Kerry at any stage and in our case I think for the first time since 1989.

Big Kallum is back from suspension, Danny Hughes will hopefully be fully fit and we are told that Ambrose will definitely be involved, so those are three massive boosts. We are taking on probably the best half forward line in the National League, but we will be looking to Hughes and Poland to drop back and cut out the space in front of them.

It is a massive game and it will tell us if we have any right to believe we can have a rattle at the USC and beyond this summer. I can't wait.

Leo

Which primary school won the competition to design the new sign outside Park Esler?
Have a look at it tomorrow, it is awful, a messy affair witha graphic on it that looks like a paint splash and -in the middle- surely the most prominent begging letter in Down.
It says nothing about Down other than that we have no sponsor.
Come to think of it, a primary school competition to design it would have been a far better idea.
Fierce tame altogether

NP 76

Looks like we are back to the dark days of Ross and DJ with no team announced yet . Will we only find out when the team takes the field ? I think this is a sign that not only do we not know who is playing but possibly the management also dont know . When James took over it was great to see the team in the papers on either a thursday or Friday but not no more

Leo

Quote from: NP 76 on March 04, 2012, 09:51:54 AM
Looks like we are back to the dark days of Ross and DJ with no team announced yet . Will we only find out when the team takes the field ? I think this is a sign that not only do we not know who is playing but possibly the management also dont know . When James took over it was great to see the team in the papers on either a thursday or Friday but not no more

From reading the papers we seem to be the only county with no team selection announced - with just 2 hours to go to the game!
Must be the Down way we hear so much about.
Fierce tame altogether

DownFanatic

Poor enough display today. We went the wayside in defensive terms in the 2nd half. We are also lacking incisevness and natural score takers in the attack.

This was a less than stellar Kerry team and I felt especially in the 2nd half that we were chasing shadows. Dan had a decent game around the middle and Laverty tried hard to bring the game to the Kerrymen when he was brought out the field.

There was plenty of effort from the players today but unfortunately it didn't pay of. We face a real battle to stay in this Division now.

Dubh driocht

Hard to know what the plan is at present -but we need to sharpen up on and off the field.
First things first. For a county who leads the way in communication and have pioneered some very innovative ideas this season, someone needs to take control . It is not good enough for supporters not to know the team before the game. You set out your fifteen with confidence and make your statement. There is no advantage to the opposition, just confusion for supporters and , it looks like, players also.
Secondly, the programme has a team which is different than the team who takes the field. So why buy a programme ?Then you have a substitution where the programme states that 25 is Marcus Miskelly, the announcer states that is Marcus Miskelly, presumably the TV commentator states it is Marcus Miskelly. Yet Gerard Mc Cartan comes on at 25. Now, for the players involved, their families,their clubs and the Communication people etc- this is an insult. The PRO must be well pissed off and the County Board need to sort it.
Thirdly, the team that lined out was probably about right as we must assume that Doyler is injured - not sure why Carr didn't start- but why not start Ambrose?I thought the defence did OK in the first half- while Costello got caught out once, he defended well and could feel unlucky to be called ashore before half-time.Peter Turley, Big Dan and King were good and Damien Turley and Daniel Mc Cartan had reasonable games. Poly , Maginn and Danny put in good shifts, Laverty is good value, Benny was marked out of it (again) while Arthur Mc Conville / Eoin Mc Cartan just aren't up to it.
Finally, we need a bit more passion . Ambrose is the natural leader and with no Marty Clarke to orchestrate the attack, it is going to be a long hard season. We should have been ahead at half-time but the last 20 minutes were close to embarassing. The Bandwagon jumpers will soon disappear which is no bad thing as some of the shouts from the crowd are pathetic. Ah well...

maldini

Quote from: Dubh driocht on March 04, 2012, 06:14:28 PM
Hard to know what the plan is at present -but we need to sharpen up on and off the field.
First things first. For a county who leads the way in communication and have pioneered some very innovative ideas this season, someone needs to take control . It is not good enough for supporters not to know the team before the game. You set out your fifteen with confidence and make your statement. There is no advantage to the opposition, just confusion for supporters and , it looks like, players also.
Secondly, the programme has a team which is different than the team who takes the field. So why buy a programme ?Then you have a substitution where the programme states that 25 is Marcus Miskelly, the announcer states that is Marcus Miskelly, presumably the TV commentator states it is Marcus Miskelly. Yet Gerard Mc Cartan comes on at 25. Now, for the players involved, their families,their clubs and the Communication people etc- this is an insult. The PRO must be well pissed off and the County Board need to sort it.
Thirdly, the team that lined out was probably about right as we must assume that Doyler is injured - not sure why Carr didn't start- but why not start Ambrose?I thought the defence did OK in the first half- while Costello got caught out once, he defended well and could feel unlucky to be called ashore before half-time.Peter Turley, Big Dan and King were good and Damien Turley and Daniel Mc Cartan had reasonable games. Poly , Maginn and Danny put in good shifts, Laverty is good value, Benny was marked out of it (again) while Arthur Mc Conville / Eoin Mc Cartan just aren't up to it.
Finally, we need a bit more passion . Ambrose is the natural leader and with no Marty Clarke to orchestrate the attack, it is going to be a long hard season. We should have been ahead at half-time but the last 20 minutes were close to embarassing. The Bandwagon jumpers will soon disappear which is no bad thing as some of the shouts from the crowd are pathetic. Ah well...

thats more than half the team youve mentioned as playing good or reasonable? what match were you watching?

Gordon the only positive for me