Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NP 76

I know its not good to see a young up and coming lad out of football for that long but surely 1 phone call to Danny Murphy would of cleared up any queries would it not .

conormac

Dont panic folks burren can usually do whatever the hell they like and come out the other side smelling of roses

whitegoodman

Quote from: NP 76 on January 25, 2012, 07:17:33 PM
I know its not good to see a young up and coming lad out of football for that long but surely 1 phone call to Danny Murphy would of cleared up any queries would it not .

Would you really expect a young fella after being told by a senior club official that it is alright to play to say hold on, im not sure about this, let me phone Danny Murphy first to check?

This is the club and officials within the clubs fault 100%.

I dont think this will be the end of it either. 

NP 76

i know its the clubs fault just was probaly an over sight by someone but they obvivously thought there was a query as someone obvivously asked the question was he allowed to play . For a club with a man of Dannys knowledge on board was he not the one to ask and then you would of been right

thewobbler

Anton was sent off for striking. I feel sorry for the lad for getting 6 months, but both he and his club should have had more sense than to allow him inside the wire for an under 21 game. The fact that he didn't start the match would raise suspicions for me that Burren's mentors didn't know if he was eligible or not. Why they then put him on in a nothing game is completely mad.

Pangurban

Something stinks here. The normal punishment for this offence is the suspension of Club Chairman, Secretary and first fifteen players. Why have no officials even been called to account. Anton has been scapegoated, but for what reason. This case must be referred to Croke Park, where perhaps there will be more transparency

onefaircounty

The negativity in this thread is laughable, and that's from an Armagh man. Ye have the making of an excellent panel with a bit of tweaking.

However, as an Armagh man, may I justshow my support to those saying you should go to 6-2-6.  :P

Feel sorry for Anton McArdle, genuine mistake, not his fault - six months out at an age were he would be developing. Pity.

redandblack4ever

Re: Anton McArdle

How stupid could the Burren club be letting a suspended player play. I'm a Yank born and bred and even I know that when you're suspended from the GAA it means at all codes and levels.  ??? ??? ???

Mrs. redandblack4ever
"A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves."Edward R. Murrow,American Jounalist,1908-1965

johnneycool

Quote from: Pangurban on January 25, 2012, 08:41:12 PM
Something stinks here. The normal punishment for this offence is the suspension of Club Chairman, Secretary and first fifteen players. Why have no officials even been called to account. Anton has been scapegoated, but for what reason. This case must be referred to Croke Park, where perhaps there will be more transparency

I'd a good laugh at that one.

We'd a lad sent off in a minor game, straight red card, not sure what the ref put him down for, but the Chairman rang the office in Castlewellan to see if he was eligible for an adult game and was told that yes it was as the referee's report had him down for some category or other incident and he'd be OK.
The lad played in an adult game the following night and low and behold a few days later the club received an email from the disciplinary committee saying that he shouldn't be playing adult fixtures until his suspension was up. The Chairman panicked and rang the office where they admitted their mistake and nothing would come of it providing the club he played against didn't object. I'd say the team he played against hadn't a clue, but I always wondered what would have happened if they did.

whitegoodman

Quote from: redandblack4ever on January 25, 2012, 09:25:22 PM

How stupid could the Burren club be letting a suspended player play. I'm a Yank born and bred and even I know that when you're suspended from the GAA it means at all codes and levels.  ??? ??? ???

Mrs. redandblack4ever

Dont think you are correct on this.

There is a ruling regarding underage not counting at senior level as far as I am aware.  I think where Burren got it wrong is that they thought Under 21 counted as underage when it is actually seen as senior.

Maybe someone with more knowledge on the issue than me can clarify this??

EagleLord

Why does his age matter?? Just because he's 20 they should say, na you're alright, run along ye little scamp.. As if. Player suspended, played while suspended, further suspension, black and white. It's a non-debate. Who mentioned Croke Park getting involved? Dont make me laugh.

johnneycool

Quote from: whitegoodman on January 26, 2012, 01:10:33 PM
Quote from: redandblack4ever on January 25, 2012, 09:25:22 PM

Mrs. redandblack4ever

Dont think you are correct on this.

There is a ruling regarding underage not counting at senior level as far as I am aware.  I think where Burren got it wrong is that they thought Under 21 counted as underage when it is actually seen as senior.

Maybe someone with more knowledge on the issue than me can clarify this??

Always thought of underage as up to minor level myself.

Surprised that Burren didn't do some sort of checking up with officialdom in Down before naming the lad on the teamsheet which in theory would have been enough to suspend him irrespective if he'd come on or not.

Downgaa88

Anybody heard much about this years minor panel?

bridgegael

i know of two players that got straight red in senior club match, suspended for seniors but allowed to play for seconds.
"2009 Gaaboard Cheltenham fantasy league winner"

DaisyCutter

The Down Senior panel was cut last night with approximately 15 players getting the chop. Mark Doran was cut of it, so he will be disappointed as he's been on the fringes for the last number of years. Down are playing Crossmaglen In a challenge game today in Mayobridge.