Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pangurban

Totally agree Leo,was going to express simialar sentiments, but did not too be accused of heresy, i predict that a team who plays six forwards with none dropping back to cram an already over-crammed MF, will win the AI. this year

Leo

Quote from: Pangurban on January 24, 2012, 02:14:06 AM
Totally agree Leo,was going to express simialar sentiments, but did not too be accused of heresy, i predict that a team who plays six forwards with none dropping back to cram an already over-crammed MF, will win the AI. this year
Ah, redemption!
Fierce tame altogether

NP 76

Name a team in Ireland that plays six forwards with none dropping back !. I cant stand all the men back and then when we turn the ball over there is no outlet to get it to . I noticed that 3 to 4 Down men run to the man on the ball which leaves at least 2 spare men . The probelm is that Down dont seen to really know what they are doing . There is times when 5 or 6 go to the man on the ball because they dont know whether to go or stay . We played Duffin as a sweeper in front of our fullback on sunday yet Paddy Bradely still won every ball that went into him and he was only half fit imagine what he would do if he had more game time . Gone are the days of man to man marking . 

redandblackareback

A lot of Doom and Gloom around and we havent kicked a competitive ball yet. Think someone previously said, its the Mc Kenna cup, who cares???  ::)

As for the comments about negative football and not the "Down Way"  ::) , wake up and smell the coffee those days are gone, the game has changed and we have two men in charge who are renowned for playing in a defensive manner. So get used to it or dont pay your money to watch it, Simple!!

whitegoodman

Anybody who thinks any of the top teams of note play with 6 on 6 is living in a timewarp.  Kerry dont, Cork dont, Dublin dont, Tyrone dont, Kildare dont, Donegal dont.

Micko stuck to his guns down in Wiclow, fair play to him but the are in division 4 and make little or no impression in the all ireland series.  We played 6 on 6 under POR and it got us far!!!!

I dont like the way football is being played as much as anyone else but that is the way it is going and we are going to have to go along with it if we are going to have any chance of success. 

I dont feel we should be above adopting to current footballing philosophy if a county like Kerry think they need to adapt to the here and now and are not too proud not to do so.

Leo

Quote from: redandblackareback on January 24, 2012, 01:32:19 PM
A lot of Doom and Gloom around and we havent kicked a competitive ball yet. Think someone previously said, its the Mc Kenna cup, who cares???  ::)

As for the comments about negative football and not the "Down Way"  ::) , wake up and smell the coffee those days are gone, the game has changed and we have two men in charge who are renowned for playing in a defensive manner. So get used to it or dont pay your money to watch it, Simple!!

Maybe you are right but as we showed against Derry & St Mary's (and all the way back to that disastrous game in Sligo many moons ago) we can't f**king play that bastarised game.
Play the game we CAN play and let it take us as far as it will.
At least we might enjoy the ride.
Fierce tame altogether

NP 76

I see on the Hoganstand web site that Anton Mc Ardle didnt get his suspension over turned . He will miss the entire National League

EagleLord

Bit silly that NP76, I've just read it myself. The club should have known not to play him, and he should have known himself. They cant complain about it imo.

supersub

Back page of Irish News today too

5 Sams

No excuses...he was suspended...he played while he was suspended...black & white...surprised at the Burren Management etc taking a chance like this
The Aristocrat Years

Mourne Rover

While some people might well have thought that senior suspensions did not apply at underage level, the club should have checked and double checked before taking any chances. However, the penalty handed down to McArdle is extreme. He will be unavailable for the Sigerson, the entire National League, most if not all of our championship campaign and quite possibly the opening rounds of the county championship, all for a technical offence involving a brief appearance as a sub. Kallum King got a red card for kicking an opponent last Sunday and will probably miss no more than a couple of games. Any mercy committee should take into account McArdle's age and consider an alternative punishment.

Leo

Considering that Burren is top-heavy with GAA "officials" of great experience (or at least longevity) they have seved this lad poorly; not his fault at all and if there is any way he can be reprieved then the club should be hit with a heavy fine instead.
Fierce tame altogether

NP 76

Mourne Rover  Anton got a month just like we hope Kalum gets . It was the fact that he didnt adhere to the month that this probelm arose . Just because he is young should he have a different disiplinery process to anyone else . The Burren club has alot to answer to in its decision to let the lad play . Anton is not totally innocent in this he has been playing football along time ,going to a large university with a major football element in it and i would think he has alot of football friends surely he could of taken advice from some one of them . Its like getting a 2nd opinion from a doctor at the end of the day its for his benefit also

blueannavy

What date will his suspension be up ?

Mourne Rover

McArdle got a run-out for the last ten minutes of an u21 game which Burren were winning comfortably, after he was wrongly told by his club officials that his senior suspension did not apply to underage matches. It would appear to have been a genuine mistake on the part of a 20-year-old and a financial penalty for the club would be more appropriate than a six-month ban for a young player.