Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

thewobbler

Doyle at WHB just isn't an option, it'd put too much pressure on the WHF in front of him to track back. Aaron Kernan might look like a luxury player, but he has the engine and speed to get back down as well as get up the field. Liam, at 31 and 10 of those years out hurt, wouldn't be able to - and 70 minutes of doing so at Championship speed on a summer pitch could finish him. If anything, it's a role made for Kevin McKernan.

WGM - would you really call Turley more mobile than King? Enough to notice at county level? I'm not sure. I'd say they're similarly quick. Turley might be a more keen ball carrier, but I actually think of King's greatest strengths is he knows what his role isn't to do.

Ambrose and Dan could, I believe, only work together in midfield in tandem with both a CHB and CHF who hold their positions. Neither of them provide any real shield for their defence, and Down could be easily exposed by direct football up the middle. Personally I don't think it's worth pursuing. One or the other.

I'd also like Garvey to get a run at centre back this year in the early games. McKernan is a great centre half back to have around when we're winning, but when we're losing, he's too keen to force the game by bombing forward. There's only a handful of "out and out" defenders in Down. We need one of those at CHB.

Leo

Some interesting posts here but most seem to be veering towards the natural return of Dan Gordon to midfield.
It's 20 years since I watched the best midfield partnership I have seen win the All-Irelannd, McGilligan & Tohill, a perfect combination. This would enhance the argument of those who would pair King with Gordon, and there's a lot to be said for letting Ambrose play off the half line. Kalum is no Brian McGilligan but he does bring some of his physical elements to the position.
I also strongly agree that McKernan is no CHB; his ebullient style can be accommodated at wing half as long as we have a solid holding player in the centre.
There should also be a place for Darren O'Hagan in the defence based on his club form last year - not the biggest, but a good footballer, fields well, athletic and strong on the ball.
Come the League, the likes of Donal O'Hare & Jamie O'Reilly will be pitching in for a forward place so it would be logical too leave Benny on the square, given that there hould be plenty of service from those around him.
Fierce tame altogether

alba2

Who will start this weekend?? Any word of team selection?

Mourne Rover

Quick one for the anoraks. A majority of the Down starting 15 last Sunday were from east Down clubs - when was the last time that happened in a competitive match ?

Mid Down Gael

8 lads from East Down started last Sunday with 3 coming on also. In 1994 there was also 8 starters from The East. I would doubt if there was ever any higher representation in between these years.

Leo

Quote from: Mid Down Gael on January 12, 2012, 11:42:09 PM
8 lads from East Down started last Sunday with 3 coming on also. In 1994 there was also 8 starters from The East. I would doubt if there was ever any higher representation in between these years.

Coming rom Sth Down, I couldn't be happier than to see our East Down neighbours getting the limelight, but, honestly, this is a small county, every club within an hour, why do we need this East/South nonesense? We are all An Dun. Time to abolish these divisional boards.... long past.
Fierce tame altogether

Leo

Quote from: alba2 on January 12, 2012, 09:25:14 PM
Who will start this weekend?? Any word of team selection?

Goals: ???
Backs: Daniel McCartan + 2
Half backs: Brian McCartan + 2
Midfield: ???
Forwards: Charlie Pat McCartan + 2
Full forwards: Eoin McCartan + 2
Just a wild guess.....
Fierce tame altogether

NP 76

Good one Leo must of been up all night to think of that one

thewobbler

East Down folk seem to be very hung up on the split of the county team. It rears its head every few months on here, and is even pushed as a problem for the County Board by some folks. When I watch Down, I couldn't give a fiddlers where anyone comes from. I prefer if they're Ballyholland, but beyond that they're all my county men.

But, to help hose down this nonsense, I went to Ross Carr's first game in charge against Antrim, and I'm pretty sure all of these featured that day (some as subs):

- Turley, Telford, Gracey (Downpatrick)
- Johnston and O'Reilly (Loughinisland)
- McGourty (Darragh Cross)
- Burns, McGreevy (Castlewellan)
- Toner, Carville, Gribben (Bryansford)

I'd be surprised if Liatroim didn't have a player or two involved that day as well.

PAULD123

That list by Wobbler makes me think that Ross Carr either had very little to choose from or made poor choices. I think the truth is a bit of both.

As for the East to vs South Down issue. It is of little relevance to supporters, who just want to see the best 15 players in red and black. It is a chip on the shoulder of some (a few) people from East Down. But I do not for a second think it is even a tiny bit of an issue for the management. The only objective is to win and the best players to achieve that will certainly be picked. The management may get the decision wrong at times but not for geographical prejudice, just because humans don't always get things right.

Finally The four best teams are Burren, Mayobridge, Brynsford, and Kilcoo. The squad represents this quite reasonably and there is no justification for trying to make up agendas that simply don't exist.

PAULD123

More importantly Lets talk about the Monaghan match. The team will probably be announced around 11pm tonight. And NP76 will probably be first to post it!!! The team will contain several of the new squad members and those on the periphery. James has stated clearly that the McKenna cup is for experimenting and for giving people a chance to shine.

What ever team is chosen I really hope we can get a victory because winning is a habit and it would be nice to progress in this competition to give all the players a good run out. I think it could serve as a good launch pad for our league campaign.

thewobbler

That list by Wobbler makes me think that Ross Carr either had very little to choose from or made poor choices. I think the truth is a bit of both.

In fairness Paul, the story was a bit different. More than a few people observed that Down weren't physically big or strong enough to compete with Armagh or Tyrone during POR's reign. Which was a load of nonsense; the truth is we weren't good enough to compete on a level basis, and weren't organised enough to clamp down, cheat and curtail enough to close the gap.

When Ross and co took over, they basically gave every player in the county of over 6' and 13st a run out, to see if they could unearth a centre back, full back and full forward. Part of it was political - a few D3 and D4 players got call ups who were never close to good enough - and part of it was genuinely motivated by trying to find a hidden gem.

The team that they ended up with come Championship time was uncannily similar to Paddy O'Rourke's in the previous couple of years.

amallon

Interviews with Down players after the Armagh Game

Dan & Ryan Brady                            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_VuhtSaxchg&context=C3185cc7ADOEgsToPDskL1OwIYS8cw9waRaB2MjN3U
Danny Hughes and Marcus Miskelly    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iYFFbSb-QEI&feature=related
Damien Watson & Conor Lavery         http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CKUPp6HnNcw&feature=related
Disclaimer: I am responsible for MY comments only.  I don't own this site.

Mid Down Gael

Down v Monaghan
1 M McAllister
2 N Brannigan
3 D McCartan
4 D Turley
5 K Quinn
6 K Duffin
7 M Doran
8 P Turley
9 A Rogers
10 D Hughes
11 A Carr
12 D Gordan
13 M Miskelly
14 K King
15 C Laverty

Mourne Rover

In July, 2010, Ambrose gave a midfield masterclass when we hammered Kerry in the championship at Croke Park. Due to injury, he has not started a competitive game for Down since then. He has been an enormous loss for us over the last 18 months, and, beginning at Clones on Sunday, he is due a change of fortune.

My previous query about east Down players was based on idle curiosity and some of the replies had a hint of paranoia.  It would also be tempting to ask how many Down forwards scored with their left feet in the 1991 All Ireland final, but it might risk a backlash from the right-footers.