Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

EagleLord

When is the U21 semi final replay then? Shoule be a crackin final either way. I'd asume the final will be next weekend then? Crazy calender playing championship finals in December.

amallon

Down convention live online tonight @7.30

http://www.destinationnewry.com
Disclaimer: I am responsible for MY comments only.  I don't own this site.

amallon

So far.

Paul Blaney assitant secretary seeing off Donal McCormack
Sean Rooney ousted Kevin Bell for central council delegate.
More votes to come in.  Seamus Walsh, Seamus Ryan, Sean Og, Paul Rooney through unopposed
Paula Magee cultural officer.
3 Clubs didn't attend.

11 o'clock and they are only starting motion.  Its going to be a late night for the St. Paul's delegates.

amallon

Motion to get rid of county board reps and require club chairman or secretaries to attend Co board was unanimously beaten.

More votes in.
Ulster Representatives , Diarmuid Cahill, John Devenny
Congress Diarmuid Cahill, William J Smith, Gerard McShane, Seamus Ryan and Sean Rooney

amallon

The motion to do away with referees administration committee was carried.  The county committee will look after after referees training, examinations etc..  This was the most heated debate of the night Gerry Quinn and Frank McDonald arguing strongly against.

Delegates to Ulster Convention - Seamus Walsh, Sean Og, Seamus Ryan, William Smith, Kevin Bell and Sean Rooney.

I can't believe I've been watching this since half 7.

DownFanatic

I see McCartan has named a panel for the McKenna Cup.

Niall McParland (Glenn), Conor Cough (Shamrocks), Ross McGarry (Warrenpoint), Marcus Miskelly (Darragh Cross), Damien and Peter Turley (Downpatrick) and Arthur McConville (Clonduff) are all included.

Its a great time for some new faces to get a chance to break into the team with Martin and John Clarke, Caolan Mooney, Peter Fitzpatrick, Luke Howard, James Colgan and Ronan Murtagh all gone

Damien Rafferty, Declan Rooney, Conor Garvey and Ambrose Rogers are said to be all back in contention too.

5 Sams

I have to say that after the service the man has given to the county Ronan Murtgah's retirement has gone unnoticed and has largely not been mentioned among the chattering classes.....
The Aristocrat Years

Minus15

The first I heard of Murtagh's retirement was in the Irish News yesterday.

Surely a man that will be missed, A great club player who gave his all for the county and never let us down!

NP 76

Ronan was a great servant who would of put his head in where others wouldnt have put their boots . He gave 100% no matter what role he was asked to fulfill . To me i thought he had a great year when he was wing half back and was attacking instead of getting the ball with his back to goal . But the mark of the man was when he felt he should be starting along with alot of people in the county , and he never gave up . He never doubted himself and did a great role as an impact sub  . To me this showed how much playing for Down meant to him . You never know how he might feel next season when he gets over his injury but whatever he decides good luck Rony

whitegoodman

Quote from: 5 Sams on December 15, 2011, 01:29:03 PM
I have to say that after the service the man has given to the county Ronan Murtgah's retirement has gone unnoticed and has largely not been mentioned among the chattering classes.....

Is it definitely the case that he has retired? It wouldnt be like the Irish News to get one of these things wrong.  It may be the case that he is taking a bit of time out to rid the long standing injury he has.  Maybe some of you harps boys could confirm?

If it is the case then I would feel it is a bit premature.  Still feel he would have a lot to offer but best wishes to him if he does retire.  Never truly fulfilled his vast potential imo whilst at the same time didnt get a good run at it in his last few years when he was in his prime.  Thought he should have been a starter in the championship last year and still in the top 3 club forwards in the county along with Benny and Lavery.

downredblack

I'm sorry to hear that , my thoughts would be that it is premature and that a player of his quality surely has something to offer Down next year . One thing for sure , he owes Down nathing . Best of luck Rony Murtagh .

Down Follower

I reckon that if Rony had started the All Ireland Final in 2010 we would have 6 Sams in the bag by now.  A number of goal chances were on offering in the first half and Murtagh would def have went for them whereas John Clarke and Paul McComiskey (who did have a great game) settled for points. The old adage stands, Goals Win Games, and Down def needed goals that day.  Murtagh was so sharp around that time it was unreal.

Mid Down Gael

Under 21 Simi Final Replay

Kilcoo 1-20 Bryansford 2-6

Superb team performance from Kilcoo tonight who showed their true potential to destroy rivals Bryansford comprehensevly in the end. The Ford will know they missed their chance two weeks ago when our lads failed to perform and stil salvaged a draw.
The scoring power of Marty and Paul Devlin, Barry Kane and the Johnston brothers was too much for the ford defence, who lost David McKibbin to a silly and needless red card in the last quarter.
The county final will take place in Pairc Eoghan Rua on Tuesday next between Kilcoo and Mayobridge after both clubs agreed to toss for the venue. A cracking final lies ahead, the bridge likely favourites, the loss of Ciaran McClean, James McClean and Cillian Laverty to the Kilcoo side against a team the calibre of the bridge could be too much.

redandblackareback

Quote from: Mid Down Gael on December 16, 2011, 09:55:06 PM

Superb team performance from Kilcoo tonight who showed their true potential to destroy rivals Bryansford comprehensevly in the end. The Ford will know they missed their chance two weeks ago when our lads failed to perform and stil salvaged a draw.
The scoring power of Marty and Paul Devlin, Barry Kane and the Johnston brothers was too much for the ford defence, who lost David McKibbin to a silly and needless red card in the last quarter.
The county final will take place in Pairc Eoghan Rua on Tuesday next between Kilcoo and Mayobridge after both clubs agreed to toss for the venue. A cracking final lies ahead, the bridge likely favourites, the loss of Ciaran McClean, James McClean and Cillian Laverty to the Kilcoo side against a team the calibre of the bridge could be too much.

The most disappointing thing about Kilcoo for me, particularly in the first game against the ford was the constant slabbering from the Kilcoo support and that included a referee and a county selector! Unfortunately the same "thrash talk" is going on, on the field too which was probably one of the reasons Mc Kibben foolisly got sent off for last night. This is obviously being installed into them at training and is a disappointing aspect to their game which is excellent outside of that.

MDG to try and play down this Kilcoo side though is also a wee bit silly from yourself, considering you have won the last 3 county minor titles so I dont think too many will be falling for that one, everyone knows this is a class team ;-)

Should be a good final but for it to be played on a tuesday night, 20th of December is woeful!!

Oglach

Quote from: redandblackareback on December 17, 2011, 05:31:04 PM
Quote from: Mid Down Gael on December 16, 2011, 09:55:06 PM

The most disappointing thing about Kilcoo for me, particularly in the first game against the ford was the constant slabbering from the Kilcoo support and that included a referee and a county selector! Unfortunately the same "thrash talk" is going on, on the field too which was probably one of the reasons Mc Kibben foolisly got sent off for last night. This is obviously being installed into them at training and is a disappointing aspect to their game which is excellent outside of that.

MDG to try and play down this Kilcoo side though is also a wee bit silly from yourself, considering you have won the last 3 county minor titles so I dont think too many will be falling for that one, everyone knows this is a class team ;-)

Should be a good final but for it to be played on a tuesday night, 20th of December is woeful!!

"Slabbering" takes place from both sets of supporters unfortunatly, at least they do it in open view rather than behind a computer.
This team were beaten by Mayobridge at minor level after a 2nd replay so i think given our injury list iits correct to install the Bridge as favourates...