Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

whitegoodman

MDG will many of that team be playing for the under 21's next wk, it is a very long season for the young fellas from Kilcoo, Bryansford, Burren and Bridge.

On the league I can see the view on having playoffs as some teams will be short of their best players for many of the starred games but maybe something should be done if a team is clear at the top of the league by a margin for the whole of the season.

Maybe if a team is something like 4-6 points clear at the top at the end of the season then they should be automatically crowned champions or maybe the league playoffs should have a date set in stone for them to be played no matter who is in Austrialia!!!!

Something needs to be done anyway as Burren looked like a completely disinterested team the other night, the bridge looked the same in the 2nd half tonight and Kilcoo had to wait 2 months to claim what was rightfully theirs.  Any more of what happened with this years playoffs gives the risk of seriously devaluing the competition in the future.

Mid Down Gael

Quote from: whitegoodman on December 09, 2011, 10:09:21 PM
MDG will many of that team be playing for the under 21's next wk, it is a very long season for the young fellas from Kilcoo, Bryansford, Burren and Bridge.

On the league I can see the view on having playoffs as some teams will be short of their best players for many of the starred games but maybe something should be done if a team is clear at the top of the league by a margin for the whole of the season.

Maybe if a team is something like 4-6 points clear at the top at the end of the season then they should be automatically crowned champions or maybe the league playoffs should have a date set in stone for them to be played no matter who is in Austrialia!!!!

Something needs to be done anyway as Burren looked like a completely disinterested team the other night, the bridge looked the same in the 2nd half tonight and Kilcoo had to wait 2 months to claim what was rightfully theirs.  Any more of what happened with this years playoffs gives the risk of seriously devaluing the competition in the future.

Its time to forget about the playoffs imo. The attendances tonight and on Monday where not very big and it seemed more like relief for the players on both sides at the final whistle tonight that its finally over.
Kilcoo only had 2 under 21s playing tonight but had many in reserve who where not required.

KIDDO 4

Senior Football League Winners

1950 Downpatrick
1951 Newry
1952 Clonduff
1953 Mayobridge
1954 Glenn
1955 Castlewellan
1956 Annaclone
1957 No ACL
1958 Glenn
1959 League Declared Void
1960 League Unfinished
1961 Ballykinlar
1962 Ballykinlar
1963 Clonduff
1964 Castlewellan
1965 Newry Mitchels
1966 League Unfinished
1967 Burren
1968 Newry Mitchels
1969 Burren
1970 Kilclief
1971 Bryansford
1972 Kilclief
1973 Tullylish
1974 Bryansford
1975 Burren
1976 Burren
1977 Burren
1978 Bryansford
1979 Castlewellan
1980 Clonduff
1981 Burren
1982 Burren
1983 Burren
1984 Burren
1985 Burren
1986 Loughinisland
1987 Burren
1988 Burren
1989 Loughinisland
1990 Burren
1991 Downpatrick
1992 Burren
1993 Mayobridge
1994 Burren
1995 Burren
1996 Burren
1997 Newry Shamrocks
1998 Burren
1999 Mayobridge
2000 Clonduff
2001 Mayobridge
2002 Mayobridge
2003 Kilcoo
2004 Mayobridge
2005 Rostrevor
2006 Burren
2007 An Riocht
2008 Kilcoo
2009 Mayobridge
2010 Mayobridge
2011 Kilcoo

DaisyCutter

I agree with Mid Down Gael on his opinions there. The league playoffs needs serious looking at by the CB. Was at the game tonight and would be lucky if there were 250 spectators at it on a very cold night in December. It makes a farce of the whole league campaign which started in April.

Overall tonight, I think Kilcoo overwhelmed the bridge, especially in the second half. But it was worth the value as some of the scores taken from both sides were fantastic and a joy to watch! I've great admiration to both sides for keeping at it this long, after 11 weeks since their last league game.

Just on the discussion about players In Div 1, I think Stevey Kane of Kilcoo deserves a fair chance at the County set up as he's been outstanding in all the games I've seen him in this year. His point blank save against Sexton tonight was worth the gar fee itself. Keith Quinn also deserves a proper go at it IMO. Tried really hard tonight again for the bridge.

Leo

Quote from: DaisyCutter on December 10, 2011, 01:58:02 AM
I agree with Mid Down Gael on his opinions there. The league playoffs needs serious looking at by the CB. Was at the game tonight and would be lucky if there were 250 spectators at it on a very cold night in December. It makes a farce of the whole league campaign which started in April.

Overall tonight, I think Kilcoo overwhelmed the bridge, especially in the second half. But it was worth the value as some of the scores taken from both sides were fantastic and a joy to watch! I've great admiration to both sides for keeping at it this long, after 11 weeks since their last league game.

Just on the discussion about players In Div 1, I think Stevey Kane of Kilcoo deserves a fair chance at the County set up as he's been outstanding in all the games I've seen him in this year. His point blank save against Sexton tonight was worth the gar fee itself. Keith Quinn also deserves a proper go at it IMO. Tried really hard tonight again for the bridge.

250?

At least 1500 in the stand for a very entertaining 40 minutes  - at which stage Bridge threw in the towel in a changing of the guard, It's Kilcoo & Burrren for the next few years.
Superbly refereee'd, as a neutral I had value for money but - WHY oh why is this game being played in Freezing December?
Fierce tame altogether

amallon

It was a disappointing second half from the Bridge.  I though we were well placed going into the second half playing with the wind but that was as good as it got.  Kilcoo's lack of celebrations at full time told its own tale.  Both teams just glad to see the end of the season

Am I the only one who thinks Kilcoo are a better team than Burren?
Disclaimer: I am responsible for MY comments only.  I don't own this site.

wehatepauly2

Yes amallon I certainly agree with you,I think kilcoo are a much greater team than burren,they have better forwards and a tighter defence but 1 bad performance against clonduff ruined there year.would have loved to see kilcoo v burren final. But that didn't happen so that leaves burren as rightful champions

5 Sams

Anyone else seen the new Down Yearbook......as usual it is a high quality publication....apart from a picture of Shane Mulholland and his management team being captioned "Ballyholland Camogie Management Team" ???
The Aristocrat Years

redandblackareback

Quote from: 5 Sams on December 11, 2011, 11:35:37 AM
Anyone else seen the new Down Yearbook......as usual it is a high quality publication....apart from a picture of Shane Mulholland and his management team being captioned "Ballyholland Camogie Management Team" ???

Surely the contributions to the year book are from the clubs themselves?? In that case would it not be an admin mistake from the ballyholland club??
havent seen the picture your talking about but i thought that was always the case that clubs sent in the photos and the write ups?

whitegoodman

Quote from: amallon on December 10, 2011, 04:41:56 PM
It was a disappointing second half from the Bridge.  I though we were well placed going into the second half playing with the wind but that was as good as it got.  Kilcoo's lack of celebrations at full time told its own tale.  Both teams just glad to see the end of the season

Am I the only one who thinks Kilcoo are a better team than Burren?

Kilcoos record in the league over the last 10 years has been fantastic but for a team to be so dominant over that period a return of 1 championship is very average.

Everyone can have their own take as to why this is, teams matching the intensity they play all year with in the league when it comes to the championship, peaking too early in the year, not performing on the big day or whatever but something isnt quite right when it comes to the championship.

At the minute Burren are a championship side and Kilcoo are not, time will tell over the next few years if they can rectify that.

alba2

Kilcoos record in the league over the last 10 years has been fantastic but for a team to be so dominant over that period a return of 1 championship is very average.

Everyone can have their own take as to why this is, teams matching the intensity they play all year with in the league when it comes to the championship, peaking too early in the year, not performing on the big day or whatever but something isnt quite right when it comes to the championship.

At the minute Burren are a championship side and Kilcoo are not, time will tell over the next few years if they can rectify that.
[/quote]

Kilcoo always come outta the traps flying in the first few league games and cant sustain it for the duration of the season.  The year they won the championship they started slow in the league and gathered momentum in June, July in the league and then the championship in August, September.  They also finished hight up in the league table that year... The question i pose is - How important is the league in real terms for clubs in the county??

Yeah you can say that if Bridge or Kilcoo win it this year its a good years work - but realistically had the Bridge or Kilcoo or indeed BFord won the championship this year - they wouldn have given a stuff who won the league... The clubs mentioned plus Burren are the tip 4 in the county and will remain so for years to come.  but the only want the big one - the championship..

DaisyCutter

Very valid points there alba2 but in fairness to Kilcoo, they had one poor performance against the yellas in the champ semi final where the conceded 11 points and 9 were from frees. Beaten by t
1 point in the end. I watched them up in Burren this year where they tore the st. mary's team to shreds. Burren also failed to beat them in Kilcoo as well. They had the best defensive and scoring tallies from any club in league and champ. But it is what it is and it's the results in championship what matters, although the league is still a very important competition.

IMO also, I do think that it will be between Burren, Mayobridge, Kilcoo and Bryansford for the next number of years.

5 Sams

Quote from: redandblackareback on December 11, 2011, 02:28:45 PM
Quote from: 5 Sams on December 11, 2011, 11:35:37 AM

Surely the contributions to the year book are from the clubs themselves?? In that case would it not be an admin mistake from the ballyholland club??
havent seen the picture your talking about but i thought that was always the case that clubs sent in the photos and the write ups?

Defo no mistake from the club....picture was correctly captioned...but anyone with a modicum of interest in Down Football would know that Shane Mulholland isnt a camogie manager...sorry no excuses for this one.
The Aristocrat Years

NP 76

anyone with a modicum of interest in Down Football would know that Shane Mulholland isnt a camogie manager...sorry no excuses for this one.
Maybe there is a very distincitive resembelance to his sister and they mixed them up

umpire