Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NP 76

I paid into the u 16 game the south Down final between Shamrocks and Rostrevor and the lights went out also .  I couldnt make the reply but when things are out of your control what can you do but go on . That night the stewarts did a good job and it all passed off without incident but you never know what could happen when people get frustrated . Health and safety has to take a bearing on preceedings . To be honest i think the County Board comes in for un fair critisism at times its the same as the County draw which is being run at the end of the day to benefit Down and no one else . It takes money to run all these teams but we all just expect this to be common place as if we are a wealthy out fit . Last year there was a cry about the paying for our tickets in sterling to raise the extra few pounds , the big breakfast and the race day but our players got well looked after and were home from their trip to America when rich County Boards like Cork and Tipp were only having their fundraising nights

forevergreen

Your opening comments forevergreen are very honest but the last comment is way out of line. I entered the pitch at 7.05 and the lights were on and cut off about 7.10. You seriously need to know all the facts before slagging off the officials there. Im not a county board official or rep, but there was no point in letting people in and paying their money and maybe having to postpone the game and as another poster says it was also for health and safety reasons. There may not have been as many officials running about as there would be on a Down match but the officials their did have respect for the supporters. I would love to have heard your comments if you had of paid in, didn't get your money back and were not able to go to the refixture!!!!!
[/quote]

Fair enough true blue if lights were on then cut off again and as you rightly say Health & Safety takes all precedent but should we not be asking serious questions as to why the lights in pairc esler are continually cutting out, alot of money was invested in Newry for the best facilities but on a number of occasions they have cut out, apparently happened last week in an under 21 game

DownFanatic

No1, just a matter of curiosity but did Kilclief have anyone on this year's panel that was part of the 96 JFC winning team?

GAA_Talk

Kilclief's Dinner Dance will be some event this year. It'd be worth going to for the craic  :P. You's much planned for it No.1?

No1

DF, there are few boys still hanging around since 96!  Julien Swail, Kieran Polly, Mark Polly, Dale Curran, Jonny Hanvey, Karol Shields and Martin Craig were all on the JFC winning panel.  The current management team all played in 96 aswell so that's another 3.

GAA_Talk, not too sure about this year but last year's dinner was cancelled due to lack of interest.  Our boys are nearly celebrated out at this stage but I'm sure they have a big one left in them!

upthem

Calling all past, present and future QUB and UUJ Gaels!
Thursday 15th Decembers sees the greatest university rivalry spill over into the ring with QUB and UUJ GAA coming head to head in Fight Knight at the Queen's PEC at 7pm.
Come and see some of the upcoming names in Ulster GAA take to the ring. This is a night not to be missed!
Tickets costing £15 are available from the PEC, UUJ Sportscentre, committee members or email fight_night11@yahoo.com
Follow us on facebook at 'Fight Knight'

DaisyCutter

Interesting views of posters on here recently of the best footballers in Div
3 this year. Marcus Miskelly probably the stand out player and derservingly getting a go at the county set up. Who do the posters believe were the best players in Div 1 & 2  this year?? Would be interested to hear your views. I'll start of by mentioning Declan Turley of D'patrick. Thought he had a good year in defence for the hoops. Views from keepers to forwards would be appreciated. Thanks.

alba2

Quote from: DaisyCutter on December 08, 2011, 06:57:48 PM
Interesting views of posters on here recently of the best footballers in Div
3 this year. Marcus Miskelly probably the stand out player and derservingly getting a go at the county set up. Who do the posters believe were the best players in Div 1 & 2  this year?? Would be interested to hear your views. I'll start of by mentioning Declan Turley of D'patrick. Thought he had a good year in defence for the hoops. Views from keepers to forwards would be appreciated. Thanks.

Division one

Keepers

Cathal Murdock/Liam Coulter/Brendan Mc Veigh/Peter Travers

Defenders

Timmy Hanna/Joe Murphy/Kevin Mc Kernan/Miceal Lively/Niall Brannigan/Jarlath Farrell/Darren O'Hagan/David Mc Kibbin

Midfielders

Anton Mc Ardle/Keith Quinn/Phelim Mc Greevy/Conor Toner (when he played)/Paul Murphy

Forwards

Mark Poland/Conor Maginn/Adrian Mackin/John Clarke/Conaill Mc Govern/Ryan Brady/Conor Laverty/Danny Savage/Benny Coulter

Out in Front

I'll be accused of advertising but what the heck...anyway I've a competition running the the Newry Reporter this week and next and amongst the prizes is admission for two to each of Down's home NFL matches (Donegal, Dublin and Kerry) as well as admission for two to each of Armagh's home NFL games (Mayo, Cork and Down) as well as a ball of other stuff including books, jerseys etc - all sports stuff.

supersub

Surely Johnny Parr was one of the best keepers! Called up to county panel and all even though we were relegated.

forevergreen

Johnny Parr would definitely be worth considering.

Also in the forward line Donal O'Hare would have to figure

supersub

J Parr
D McEntee Branningan?? J Farrell   
J Murphy D O'Hagan K McKernan

A McConville P Murphy

P Devlin C McGinn D O'Hare
K O'Rourke  J Brown C Laverty

NP 76

Thats a good honest team supersub not far away from what games i saw . Another lad who impressed me this year was Niall Mc Quillan from Ballyholland . Young lad but always gives 100% .

alba2

Quote from: supersub on December 09, 2011, 09:40:38 AM
              J Parr

A McConville P Murphy

Mc Entee - you're having a laugh. Got completley cleaned out of it in the last 3 or 4 games for his club.  Played rightly against Latton but that was it.
Arthur Mc Conville - not worthy either. Anton Mc Ardle skint him in the county final and had a good Ulster campaign for Burren - apart form the final as did Keith Quinn.
Kevin O'Rourke had one good game this year - last Monday night against Burren - anyone honest enough around the bridge would tell you the same.
Paul Devlin is a shadow of the player he was when Kilcoo won the championship in 09.  Has come nowhere near those dizzy heights since. You have left out Mark Poland from the half forward line - best player in Down at the minute.

supersub

Quote from: alba2 on December 09, 2011, 10:19:58 AM
Quote from: supersub on December 09, 2011, 09:40:38 AM
              J Parr

A McConville P Murphy

Mc Entee - you're having a laugh. Got completley cleaned out of it in the last 3 or 4 games for his club.  Played rightly against Latton but that was it.
Arthur Mc Conville - not worthy either. Anton Mc Ardle skint him in the county final and had a good Ulster campaign for Burren - apart form the final as did Keith Quinn.
Kevin O'Rourke had one good game this year - last Monday night against Burren - anyone honest enough around the bridge would tell you the same.
Paul Devlin is a shadow of the player he was when Kilcoo won the championship in 09.  Has come nowhere near those dizzy heights since. You have left out Mark Poland from the half forward line - best player in Down at the minute.

That's why he got runner up in down player of the year, good lad! I'd say Arthur played nearly every game for Clonduff this season, whereas Anton didn't for Burren. Arthur is more consistent and would have him in midfield ahead of McCardle anyday!

McEntee Last 3/4 games? He got MOM in his second last game so your comment doesn't add up. He was solid for them and takes something to break into and sustain a place in the current Burren team.

Devlin poss replaced by Poland.