Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dundrumite

Quote from: thewobbler on October 28, 2011, 09:27:46 PM
Something clicks in my head that Rostrevor were in D2 for a season in 1996.

Remember an interview with pj Magee in the down year book 98 whilst in charge of rostrevor. They scrapped out of 2 and ended up winning championship two years later. Incredible for all their success of recent underage football to be plying their trade in the second tier. I believe at the same time Saval amalgamating at various underage levels to field a team. Funny old game as they say

ardtole

Quote from: umpire on October 28, 2011, 11:50:32 PM
Quote from: ardtole on October 28, 2011, 10:59:53 PM
Quote from: thewobbler on October 28, 2011, 09:27:46 PM
Something clicks in my head that Rostrevor were in D2 for a season in 1996.

They were alrite wobbler. Ardglass spent a season in div 2 in 96 and we played rostrevor that season.

Ardglass play Rostrever in Rostrevor. i remember a 16 year old Ardglass corner forward up against Finbar Caulfield. its was a mismatch. Now not sure if Rostrevor can get out of 2nd Div next year. you have An Riocht, Loughinisland, Liatriom, Warrenpoint and Shamrocks all capable to finish in top 2.  Really feel sorry for Rostrevor with a small slice of luck they could have finished on 15points. They got 9 points on first 9 games and at that stage they knew that they need another 6 to make it to 15 points but they only got 4 in last 9 games.

Ardglass actually won their first 3 games that season but around 6 of that team went to usa and we didnt have the strength in depth to compete at all that year.

dundrumite

Dundrum relegated beat by hungrier St johns team. Bad day for our club. Pity for our manager paul shields who in all my time of playing football with school and club is easily one of the best  managers I have played under and I wish him well in the future because with talent at his disposal will do a fine job if an opportunity arises.

DownFanatic

Quote from: dundrumite on October 30, 2011, 03:07:47 PM
Dundrum relegated beat by hungrier St johns team. Bad day for our club. Pity for our manager paul shields who in all my time of playing football with school and club is easily one of the best  managers I have played under and I wish him well in the future because with talent at his disposal will do a fine job if an opportunity arises.

St Johns by far the better team. Wanted it so much more than our boys. 2-14 to 0-10.

I concur with Dundrumite in saying that Paul Shields is the best manager ive come across in my time and any club in the top flight would do well to acquire his services.

Dubh driocht

Burt 1-7 Bredagh 1-6
Bit of a heartbreak at an excellent Letterkenny set-up in near perfect conditions for October.Donal Hughes picked up where he left off in the county final with an excellent goal in the fifith minute following good work by Kevin Harte. Unfortunately Bredagh literally took their eyes off the ball and hesitant defending allowed a soft equaliser within two minutes. Burt played effective Jim Mc Guinness football to score three unanswered points before Brian Rice (2), Kealan Devlin and John Mc Kenna put the Belfast men in front. Hughes hit the post when the ref allowed advantage in the square but two soft frees saw Burt ahead by one at the interval.
The second half was even tighter and you knew it was going to be nip and tuck to the end .Bredagh struggled to penetrate the blanket defence and were restricted to long range shooting- only Henry Deazley and Rice found the target to leave it all-square in the 59th minute.Burt captain and Donegal Hurler Enda Mc Dermott then stepped up to the plate and following a strong run from defence, sent the winning score over from 45 metres. The only blot on the victory was a straight red for full-forward Joseph Boyle but a long journey home for the brave Down champions.

whitegoodman

Was annaclone match not on this wkend??

lecale4

Quote from: Dubh driocht on October 30, 2011, 07:11:54 PM
Burt 1-7 Bredagh 1-6
Bit of a heartbreak at an excellent Letterkenny set-up in near perfect conditions for October.Donal Hughes picked up where he left off in the county final with an excellent goal in the fifith minute following good work by Kevin Harte. Unfortunately Bredagh literally took their eyes off the ball and hesitant defending allowed a soft equaliser within two minutes. Burt played effective Jim Mc Guinness football to score three unanswered points before Brian Rice (2), Kealan Devlin and John Mc Kenna put the Belfast men in front. Hughes hit the post when the ref allowed advantage in the square but two soft frees saw Burt ahead by one at the interval.
The second half was even tighter and you knew it was going to be nip and tuck to the end .Bredagh struggled to penetrate the blanket defence and were restricted to long range shooting- only Henry Deazley and Rice found the target to leave it all-square in the 59th minute.Burt captain and Donegal Hurler Enda Mc Dermott then stepped up to the plate and following a strong run from defence, sent the winning score over from 45 metres. The only blot on the victory was a straight red for full-forward Joseph Boyle but a long journey home for the brave Down champions.

umpire

Quote from: whitegoodman on October 30, 2011, 07:42:33 PM

On Downgaa website.
Annaclone  - - Ballymartin  Ballykinlar 05/11/2011 14:00

lecale4

Dubh Droicht is right about the early Donal Hughes chance - he was rugby tackled in the square - but as the ball broke and hit the post the ref apparently played advantage! He lapped all the big decisions - early yellow to 13 from Burt when it should have been red. Then called him over with 5 to go to book him again - realised he would have to send him off and waved him away - 13 scored the winner a minute later.

The umpire made the decision for him in injury time to produce a straight red - of course he didn't add on time.

Burt were typical Donegal - fair play to them if that's what you want to do week on week - have to agree with Spillane - puke (or maybe sour grapes). Very disappointed!!

here comes 6

Quote from: umpire on October 30, 2011, 09:49:48 PM
Quote from: whitegoodman on October 30, 2011, 07:42:33 PM

On Downgaa website.
Annaclone  - - Ballymartin  Ballykinlar 05/11/2011 14:00
Why was this game not played today???

amallon

Which club currently in Division 1 has maintained division 1 status for the longest?
Disclaimer: I am responsible for MY comments only.  I don't own this site.

Maiden1

Quote from: amallon on October 31, 2011, 09:02:39 AM
Which club currently in Division 1 has maintained division 1 status for the longest?

Has to be Burren, everyone else has spent at least a season in division 2 from the 90s onwards.
There are no proofs, only opinions.

When We Win

No1 what happened yesterday. I believe you cam out on the wrong end of a bad loss. Two off in the first half couldnt have helped. Was there a gap between the two team intermediate teams? Craigbane would be a strong enough outfit in Derry and will push hard for another Ulster Championship and promotion to Div 1.

amallon

What about Clonduff when did they last get relegated?
Disclaimer: I am responsible for MY comments only.  I don't own this site.

Maiden1

Quote from: amallon on October 31, 2011, 02:07:09 PM
What about Clonduff when did they last get relegated?

I thought they spent a year in division 2 in 2000s but maybe not.
There are no proofs, only opinions.