Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Milltown Row2

Quote from: 5 Sams on October 18, 2011, 07:43:06 PM
Have to say I am delighted for Kilclief...they always seemed a good bunch of lads and I have always admired the way they have fielded in both codes in an area that wouldnt necessarily be coming down with people to depend on to nurture the games. They were always a hard bunch of fcukers to beat down there. I'm old enough to have played against Ben Dearg when they a certain reputation....the reputation they have now is that you are more likely to come away from Kilclief empty handed nowadays rather than nursing a few knocks and bruises like you used to :)

Remember playing them a few (hundred) years ago and we also came away with a few bruises and a one point win when Kilclief hurled in the Antrim leagues. Great to see the dual clubs doing well
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

umpire

Quote from: artisan2010 on October 18, 2011, 05:32:01 PM
Quote from: DownFanatic on October 18, 2011, 05:09:06 PM
It may have gone under the radar but Downpatrick are back into Division 1. They beat Liatroim 1-09 to 1-08 in a promotion playoff on Sunday. Must of been around 2003 that they were relegated from Division 1 last time round. Won two IFC's in the intervening period. Probably one of the biggest underachievers in the county.

Good to see a town club heading in the right direction.  If only Newry could be sorted so they made a contribution worthy of its size.

Downpatrick were relegated to Div 2 in 2002 wtih 17 points (8 wins and a draw) along with Warrenpoint.

thewobbler

Hoops have been knocking on the door for a few years now.

They've a pretty decent side, but any time we've played them in recent seasons I've been shocked by their small squads. For a promotion playoff in 2009, I don't think they'd 5 subs. If they did they weren't watching the game.

Maybe they've moved on since then. I hope so, for D1 will eat them up otherwise.

NedFlanders

I mind we played the hoops 3 years back, very small Panel bck then, but since have been there or there abouts at the top. They would surely needa a big panel for D1, if not, itll be a long, hard, ultimately disapointing season!

Burren Hiltown Saturday, praying for a Burren win

PAULD123

Does anyone know If St Colmans play Abbey this Saturday? What time & venue? NP76 are you informed?

6th sam

Quote from: NedFlanders on October 19, 2011, 10:29:12 AM
I mind we played the hoops 3 years back, very small Panel bck then, but since have been there or there abouts at the top. They would surely needa a big panel for D1, if not, itll be a long, hard, ultimately disapointing season!

Burren Hiltown Saturday, praying for a Burren win

Fair play to the senior teams of RGU,Kilclief,Saul,Drumaness,Bredagh,Castlwellan,all of whom have secured championship,and/or promotion football success this year.I sense there is a resurgence among East Down clubs,which can only be good for the county as a whole.Castlewellan dominated Div 2 all year,and should do well in Div 1.RGU's results over the past couple of seasons,would indicate that they have been knocking on the door of Div 1 for a few years now,and I think they'll also be well prepared for the step up.Kilclief's success,and performances have been roundly admired by all,and with their Hurling exploits, they symbolise what the GAA is all about.Drumaness and Saul ,having secured promotion,meet for the Div 4 title on Sunday ,in what should be an entertaining encounter,given their two previous meetings this year. Bredagh,I feel will put their promotion disappointment behind them,for a serious onslaught on the Ulster JFC.

whitegoodman

Downpatrick and Castlewellan are both likely to struggle imo next year unless Castlewellan have improved dramatically from last year.

Ballyholland and Saval adapted well to the first division this year which meant that any of 6 teams were always going to be struggling.  Outside of the "top 4" anyone could have went down.  And on their day any team could beat any other team and that includes the "top 4", in the league anyway.  I see this as a one off  and not the norm though and unless Downpatrick can use their home turf as a fortress, they are going to struggle as they were never the best of travellers even when they had good teams.  All the best to them anyway and its good to see them back.

On another note is it likely that if Burren were to go on to the Ulster final, the 1st Division final wouldnt be til mid december?  I base this on the fact that Burren are unlikely to face the bridge in the semi final whilst McKernan is away and then they will have 3 games in 3 weeks culminating in an Ulster final at the end of November if they were to get that far.

Hardly far on Kilcoo who could go 2 months without a game!!!!

here comes 6

Quote from: whitegoodman on October 19, 2011, 01:26:15 PM
Downpatrick and Castlewellan are both likely to struggle imo next year unless Castlewellan have improved dramatically from last year.

Ballyholland and Saval adapted well to the first division this year which meant that any of 6 teams were always going to be struggling.  Outside of the "top 4" anyone could have went down.  And on their day any team could beat any other team and that includes the "top 4", in the league anyway.  I see this as a one off  and not the norm though and unless Downpatrick can use their home turf as a fortress, they are going to struggle as they were never the best of travellers even when they had good teams.  All the best to them anyway and its good to see them back.

On another note is it likely that if Burren were to go on to the Ulster final, the 1st Division final wouldnt be til mid december?  I base this on the fact that Burren are unlikely to face the bridge in the semi final whilst McKernan is away and then they will have 3 games in 3 weeks culminating in an Ulster final at the end of November if they were to get that far.

WDG good point but nothing kilcoo can do about it only wait.   It could have been roles reversed if Kilcoo hadnt of taken their eye of the ball

Mid Down Gael

Quote from: here comes 6 on October 19, 2011, 01:38:32 PM

WDG good point but nothing kilcoo can do about it only wait.   It could have been roles reversed if Kilcoo hadnt of taken their eye of the ball

Burren should have to play their league games prior to their November 13th game in Enniskillen against Roslea. They face Clonduff this Saturday, the league simi final should be the following weekend (29th/30th Oct) allowing the league final to take place on Friday 4th November. This would give Burren 9 days prior to their ulster quarter final, should they overcome the Bridge in the league meeting.
I remember in 2009 when we where in Ulster we where forced to fulfill our domestic league fixtures so i dont see why it should be any different for Burren.
But of course they will get their way and we will be waiting to xmas.

goldenyears

anyone at the rgu game? i hear it was a last minute penalty rebound that put them through?

True Blue

Just on promotion and relegation it must be the first time in a number of seasons that the 2 promoted teams stayed up in division 1. Well done to both Ballyholland & Saval, I would say that was their goal and anything else was a bonus. Having been part of 3 or 4 Warrenpoint teams that got promoted I know exactly how hard it is to stay up and in particular with a smaller division. For Castlewellan & Downpatrick to do the same next year I feel they should concentrate on beating the bottom 5 teams at Home and trying to gain as many away points as possible. 10 pts at home and try to pick up 4 more would have kept you safe!! As for Burren, Kilcoo, Bridge & Ford anything got from those games would be a bonus. That's were I feel Ballyholland & Saval have survived the dreaded drop or play-off.

As for the saga of the Div 1 title, realistically, do Burren want to be playing football in December? Even with Kevin McK playing for Ireland I would suggest that they would want to clear up all league football before they venture into Ulster. A championship and league double would be nice for any club but I would say they would prefer to concentrate souly on the Ulster Club SFC. That is not taking anything away from our Div 1 league title or Mayobridge or Kilcoo who are still in the competition.

I suppose we will will learn soon enough. I just wish the Point had this problem although thank God we managed to stay clear of relegation play-offs to the 3rd div. We have never survived relegation play-offs before. wishing Ballymartin & annaclone all the best, wouldnt have predicted either club playing this game at the end of the season.
The minute you start talking about what you're going to do if you lose, you have lost.

whitegoodman

Quote from: Mid Down Gael on October 19, 2011, 03:18:00 PM
Quote from: here comes 6 on October 19, 2011, 01:38:32 PM

Burren should have to play their league games prior to their November 13th game in Enniskillen against Roslea. They face Clonduff this Saturday, the league simi final should be the following weekend (29th/30th Oct) allowing the league final to take place on Friday 4th November. This would give Burren 9 days prior to their ulster quarter final, should they overcome the Bridge in the league meeting.
I remember in 2009 when we where in Ulster we where forced to fulfill our domestic league fixtures so i dont see why it should be any different for Burren.
But of course they will get their way and we will be waiting to xmas.

The difference MDG is that Burren may not want to go into a league semi without McKernan.  Would Kilcoo think its fair to go into a league semi against your closest rivals without Laverty through no fault of ur own?

I dont know, maybe Burren will play it to get it out of the road but there was a precedent set a few years ago when the bridge didnt have to play a league match as benny was in Oz with Ireland team.  If they dont want to play it they wont be forced to imo.

At the same time they went out last year the wk after the cross game and gave an abject performance against the bridge in the league final so i can see the merits of getting it played before any ulster matches.

Green+Gold

Quote from: goldenyears on October 19, 2011, 03:21:24 PM
anyone at the rgu game? i hear it was a last minute penalty rebound that put them through?

RGU were 2 behind in injury time when the ref gave them a penalty out of nowhere. Dont even think any of their players appealed for it. Terrible decision but he hadn't given them much up until then. Penalty was saved but it came straight back out to the penalty taker who knocked it in. Dramatic stuff at the end of a long season. RGU have a very young side. I'd guess that the average age of their 15 on Sunday would be around 21/22.

weebob

Burren should be given the choice whether to play the league games  or not play the league games after all they are representing the county in ulster  and shouldn't be put under pressure to finish the league . personally i think when any team plays div1 football its the c/ship they want to win and push on in ulster . so for MDG to say Burren should have to finish the league to suit them or anyone else is very unfair that would be 4 tough games in 23 days if they did make the league final . catch a grip of yourself man dear . and whats the dig about of course burren will get their own way ?

DvM1991

To launch our Talk Night in Bryansford GAC this Saturday Night Peter McGrath will be interviewed today on U105FM by Frank Mitchell (McClorey). On air after 10am.
Panel on Saturday Night is confirmed as Bernard Flynn, Colm O'Rourke, Eamonn Burns, Ross Carr and Peter McGrath with MC Mark Sidebottom.
It is anticipated all the Down Players will be attending.
Show to commence at 8pm.