Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

supersub

Longstones last game is against Rostrevor so there could be a few outcomes from the last round. It's still in our hands. I believe they will play all matches on the same day so no team knows what they have/have not to do!

Mid Down Gael

Jez its tight at the bottom of Division 1. So Clonduff v Burren and Rostrevor v Longstone in the last round, anyone know who the Kingdom play?

whitegoodman

Think Kingdom are at home to the bridge.  All fixtures other than the burren v clonduff game are down for next saturday.

Difficult to see rostrevor getting a result down in the stone and if kingdom can pull out a result against a bridge team not playing for anything, rostrevor will be relying on burren to do them a favour.

NedFlanders

All makes for a very exciting finish.. But from what i seen from An Riocht today, i'm sure we have more than enough to stay up, the spirit, work-rate and the willingness to work for each other really shone through, the 15 fellas and the subs used worked their balls off for one another. Played some outstanding football on a wild wet field. Our CHB young Decky Doyle, gave Conor Magin a real lesson, only 17 and dosent look outta place in division 1.
We wnt in trailing 9-3 at ht and Battled back to win 14 - 10, outscoring the ford 8-1 in the 2nd half, our best performance of the year and were finally starting to build momentum when we need to.
Mayobridge will be tough, but i think we'll come out of it with 2 points
An Riocht Abu

whitegoodman

Anyone else hear of a meeting in canal court last wk involving a 50 strong panel and the county management?

Any new players? Off top of my head would like Philip Bonny,Danny Savage, Arthur McConville, Colm Murney, Keith Quinn and Donal O'Hare to get involved in the priliminary squad anyway.

Thought about Kilcoo but without any disrespect I couldnt think of any individuals that stood out in the 10 or so games i watched this year.  A good team without outstanding individuals other than Laverty imo.

Havnt seen any of the lower divisions to comment on any potential players from there.

DownFanatic

Quote from: whitegoodman on October 02, 2011, 09:23:53 PM
Anyone else hear of a meeting in canal court last wk involving a 50 strong panel and the county management?

Any new players? Off top of my head would like Philip Bonny,Danny Savage, Arthur McConville, Colm Murney, Keith Quinn and Donal O'Hare to get involved in the priliminary squad anyway.

Thought about Kilcoo but without any disrespect I couldnt think of any individuals that stood out in the 10 or so games i watched this year.  A good team without outstanding individuals other than Laverty imo.

Havnt seen any of the lower divisions to comment on any potential players from there.

Marcus Miskelly of Darragh Cross, Ricky Kerr of Kilclief, Gareth Johnston of Tullylish and Liam Mullan of Ardglass would be worth a tryout.

NP 76

Liked the look of Conor Toner from Burren any time i have seen Burren play this year. Big strong fella but young . Also Arthur Mc Conville would be worth a try as someone said earlier . Donal O Hare looks a certainty a Ryan Brady would give you his all

thewobbler

Anyone proposing namesshould bear in mind that Down have a bloody good forward line as it stands. I'd be thinking only exceptional forwards should be pushed forward as alternatives, and not good club players.

whitegoodman

Toner is young and Id let him develop with Burren and the under 21s for another year or 2.

IMO the following players are likely to be the mainstays of the team next year;

G McCartan
Gordon
Garvey
Rooney
Ambrose
McGinn
Poland
Coulter

Obviously McVeigh, McKernan,King and McCumisky will be close but given their performances last year I would think that there are places up for grabs including a least 1 new forward given martys likely departure.

NP 76

Just because we have good forwards at the minute a bit of competion among the players keeps them on their toes and gives other options

supersub

I hear Conor Toner and Donal O'Hare are in the panel mentioned. As well as Conor Magee from Rostrevor. Not sure about others!

ardtole

There is definitley a spot for a midfielder up for grabs. Fitzpatrick away to oz, ambrose injury prone, King I think was found out last year, McArdle shouldnt be there.

redandblackareback

Quote from: thewobbler on October 02, 2011, 09:51:28 PM
Anyone proposing namesshould bear in mind that Down have a bloody good forward line as it stands. I'd be thinking only exceptional forwards should be pushed forward as alternatives, and not good club players.

Dont know how you v come to this conclusion? Could you explain the word exceptional? Who in the current down forward line would you describe as exceptional??  ???

dundrumite

Quote from: redandblackareback on October 02, 2011, 11:02:24 PM

Dont know how you v come to this conclusion? Could you explain the word exceptional? Who in the current down forward line would you describe as exceptional??  ???

Danny Hughes, Benny coulter, Paul mc Comiskey, Conor Laverty and Conor maginn are all definitely better than any other forwards in the county not on the panel.

redandblackareback

Quote from: dundrumite on October 02, 2011, 11:39:54 PM
Quote from: redandblackareback on October 02, 2011, 11:02:24 PM

Danny Hughes, Benny coulter, Paul mc Comiskey, Conor Laverty and Conor maginn are all definitely better than any other forwards in the county not on the panel.

Danny was exceptional in 2010, but this year had a shocking season, Coulter is gettin on a bit and his hamstrings are no longer going to give you 9 months of graft! Laverty is just pure and simply too light for intercounty top level footballl, you could argue the same about mc comisky, Maginn is a terrific worker but what does he contribute going forward?? Im not being negative, im just trying to get Wobbler to think about usuing the word EXEPTIONAL!!