Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

johnneycool

Quote from: Square Ball on August 17, 2011, 10:25:30 PM
fair play to our nearest and dearest beating portaferry tonight. This will be the first of many times the minor hurling title will leave the ards imho.
I believe they cant represent Down in Ulster as they are classed as an amalgmated team?

They're as amalgamated as Cushendall or any other North Antrim team who allow adjoining junior clubs without juvenile teams to play for them.

Are you sure about that Square ball.

duffed

The team was an amalgation because it had one player from Ballyvarley (who don't have a minor team this year).  The boys from Darragh Cross don't count as an amalgamation as Darragh Cross don't have hurling and the boys joined the nearest hurling team.  Before Carryduff agreed to the amalgamatioon the Hurling Board confirmed as the Ulster Monir Hurling Championship (like the Minor Football) is not organised by the Ulster Council but by an indivdual club and is by invitation then Carryduff could represnt Down.  Carryduff would not have agreed to the amalgamation unless this had been the case.

dundrumite

Quote from: Mid Down Gael on August 17, 2011, 10:56:04 PM
Quote from: razor on August 17, 2011, 10:17:27 PM
Morgan Milk SFC Quarter Final Draw:
Ballyholland v Rostrevor
Loughinisland v Clonduff
Mayobridge v Burren
Bryansford v Kilcoo

Around a Pound IFC quarter final draw
St John's v Kilclief
Annaclone vs Clan na Banna
Ballymartin vs Bosco
Dundrum v Attical

What a draw. Bridge v Burren and Kilcoo v Ford will be two crackers. Personally delighted with our draw.

Can't wait for them two games.
In intermediate, one of the lower division 3 teams are going to be in a semi final. With two of favourites meeting. Beauty of championship

Mourne Rover

Congratulations to Carryduff on a fantastic achievement. Picking up a player from Ballyvarley, which must be 25 miles away, is a little unusual at underage level, but it shows the kind of organisation which is needed for a breakthrough.

redandblack4ever

Quote from: Mike Tyson on August 17, 2011, 10:21:01 PM
Ballyholland v Rostrevor
Loughinisland v Clonduff
Mayobridge v Burren
Bryansford v Kilcoo

St John's v Kilclief
Ballymartin vs Bosco
Dundrum v Attical

Fck it'll be hard to predict winners for the SFC bar our game.

Getting a little cocky there, aren't you???
"A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves."Edward R. Murrow,American Jounalist,1908-1965

Mike Tyson

Quote from: redandblack4ever on August 17, 2011, 11:38:43 PM
Quote from: Mike Tyson on August 17, 2011, 10:21:01 PM
Ballyholland v Rostrevor
Loughinisland v Clonduff
Mayobridge v Burren
Bryansford v Kilcoo

St John's v Kilclief
Ballymartin vs Bosco
Dundrum v Attical

Fck it'll be hard to predict winners for the SFC bar our game.

Getting a little cocky there, aren't you???

No, I think we'll be beat.

duffed

Carryduff took the youngster from Ballyvarley so that he could get minor hurling as they weren't fielding a minor team this year.  He will return to Ballyvarley to play senior hurling and it is brilliant that he'll go back with an "A" Championship medal.  I am sure everyone in Ballyvarley will be proud of him and are happy that Carryduff gave him this opportunity.  He is a credit to Ballyvarley.

Leo

Wonderful game between Burren and the Stone tonight, lit up by Donal O'Hare & Shay McArdle in the two corners for Burren where they prosperd on good direct fast ball, and by an almighty display of athleticsm from Ambrose Rodgers that kept Longstone in touch up until they lost a player to a (correct) red card. Referee has to be commended, let the game flow and despite virulent comments from the Burren supporters was absolutely correct on the penalty call where the defender had ownership of Poland's jersey over a distance of 20 yards or more - which all started off in the square. Couldn't understand Burren taking off Eamon McGovern, a very polished player throughout. McKernan was all over the show to no effect while Higgins again gave the Stone everything.
Credit to both teams who went out to play football and, boy, was it good? Yes it was.
Fierce tame altogether

andunabu

Quote from: dundrumite on August 17, 2011, 11:11:34 PM
Ballyholland v Rostrevor
Loughinisland v Clonduff
Mayobridge v Burren
Bryansford v Kilcoo

St John's v Kilclief
Ballymartin vs Bosco
Dundrum v Attical

What a draw. Bridge v Burren and Kilcoo v Ford will be two crackers. Personally delighted with our draw.

In intermediate, one of the lower division 3 teams are going to be in a semi final. With two of favourites meeting. Beauty of championship
Who would that be dundrumite?

redandblackareback

Quote from: Leo on August 18, 2011, 12:53:40 AM
Wonderful game between Burren and the Stone tonight, lit up by Donal O'Hare & Shay McArdle in the two corners for Burren where they prosperd on good direct fast ball, and by an almighty display of athleticsm from Ambrose Rodgers that kept Longstone in touch up until they lost a player to a (correct) red card. Referee has to be commended, let the game flow and despite virulent comments from the Burren supporters was absolutely correct on the penalty call where the defender had ownership of Poland's jersey over a distance of 20 yards or more - which all started off in the square. Couldn't understand Burren taking off Eamon McGovern, a very polished player throughout. McKernan was all over the show to no effect while Higgins again gave the Stone everything.
Credit to both teams who went out to play football and, boy, was it good? Yes it was.

Exciting game I agree with you leo, but to be honest cannot understand why oh why the stone were so silly again to give those two super footballers in the corner the space they got. Could they not have adapted a sweeper for the night?? Burren played well but its the end of the road for the champions, no doubt at all the bridge will win comfortably by at least 5 or 6. The 2nd game was generally poor and I was disappointed in Clonduff, their tackling was shocking and the amount of free kicks they give away was scarey!! They should beat lisland but that will be it! Rostrevor v Ballyholland had a major brawl in the league so it should be a tasty encounter.The winners will come from the last quarter final the Magpies v The Ford!! What a cracker!!  All in all looking forward to the quarter finals!!

supersub

You have it all worked out eh!!

Lecale2

Well done Carryduff minors! I know a lot of hard work went into preparing that team.

here comes 6

Quote from: andunabu on August 18, 2011, 01:12:38 AM
Quote from: dundrumite on August 17, 2011, 11:11:34 PM
Ballyholland v Rostrevor
Loughinisland v Clonduff
Mayobridge v Burren
Bryansford v Kilcoo

St John's v Kilclief
Ballymartin vs Bosco
Dundrum v Attical

Who would that be dundrumite?

Senior games are all veryeven i would say. I would go for burren kilcoo clonduff and it will be a toss up between ballyholland and rostrevor. i'll stick my neck out and go for ballyholland.

Intermediate seems easier to predict with Kilclief, ballymartin having the easiest game to make semi.  Annaclone and Dundrum should get through in other two ties

snoopdog

Quote from: duffed on August 18, 2011, 12:05:12 AM
Carryduff took the youngster from Ballyvarley so that he could get minor hurling as they weren't fielding a minor team this year.  He will return to Ballyvarley to play senior hurling and it is brilliant that he'll go back with an "A" Championship medal.  I am sure everyone in Ballyvarley will be proud of him and are happy that Carryduff gave him this opportunity.  He is a credit to Ballyvarley.

Congrats to Carryduff and the young lad from Ballyvarley. Hopefully Ballyvarley will be able to round up a minor team in the coming years. Its sad to see a traditional Dwn Hurling club like that unable to field although i am aware that it does have a small population to pick from.
Can only be good for Down Hurling taking the title out of the Ards.

johnneycool

Quote from: snoopdog on August 18, 2011, 11:35:01 AM

Can only be good for Down Hurling taking the title out of the Ards.

Why?

If it spurs on the likes of Liatroim, Newry, Warernpoint, Kilclief and maybe centres of population like Downpatrick and Newcastle with little or no hurling then I'd agree with you.

I think its good that underage hurling in Down is now a five horse race instead of the usual three.