Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Smurfy123

Well done to Kilcoo and the other winners over the weekend
Deserved that win today

Expect the Down manager to be announced Wednesday

lumpitin

Kilcoo excellent yesterday. Dont win by much but dominate the games. Burren didnt do much to creat them problems at all. Poor from mccorry who should have known everything about kilcoo. Burren just did not look like winning or going infront at all.

Smurfy123

McCorry didn't bring anything to the Burren table this year
In the biggest of big games it was the same old from Burren
Why not try something different
Is that not why these big managers are brought in

Expect Jim McG and Stephen Poacher to be named doll as the Down management as soon as tomorrow if word is right. Fully founded by our sponsors

Truth hurts

Quote from: Oglach on November 07, 2021, 11:53:36 PM
I've been reading the anti Kilcoo bile from lotto and co for some time now and it honestly doesn't affect me anymore.
For the record, Burren scored 4 points from
play and 8 points from frees ( some of the very soft variety) Kilcoo scored 4 from frees and the rest from open play. A bad return for a well paid referee in my opinion!!
Rice had opportunity's to gave a penalty to both Kilcoo and Burren in 1st half but gave neither.
He hurried the Kilcoo keeper in his kick outs from 20 minutes and that placed unnecessary pressure on keeper for the remainder of the game. Same wasn't applied to Burren.
All said, I felt Kilcoo were the better footballing team and had we not lost Dabs there would have been 8/10points in it.
Another point, 9 Kilcoo players picked up their tenth championship medal today to equal the great Shorty Trainor (correct me if I'm wrong).
I'm a very proud Magpie tonight, I'd have given my arm to witness them winning 1 championship but this is the stuff of dreams.

Congraulations Oglach, in relation to the 9 players , can you tell us how many played in the 10 finals?

Oglach

Two Kilcoo players played in all 10 finals.
Paul Devlin and Conor Laverty.

whitegoodman

Quote from: Smurfy123 on November 08, 2021, 08:17:53 AM
McCorry didn't bring anything to the Burren table this year
In the biggest of big games it was the same old from Burren
Why not try something different
Is that not why these big managers are brought in

Expect Jim McG and Stephen Poacher to be named doll as the Down management as soon as tomorrow if word is right. Fully founded by our sponsors

Am not sure exactly what McCorry could have done.  He finished with a better team than he started with Toner, Trainor and McArdle all making an impact.  These guys were obviously not fit to start otherwise they would have.  Add to this the the obvious miss of Kerr and Foy and that is a 3rd of a starting team.  Lotto may also be forgetting that Murdock is 18 years of old along with a couple of the other lads so they have time on their side and their day will come.

Congratulations to Kilcoo, Ryan Johnston is a joy to watch in full flow and hopefully him and his brothers will be back for Down next year and we arent good enough not to have these boys around.

Truth hurts

Quote from: Oglach on November 08, 2021, 09:35:16 AM

Thought that Aiden played in 10 but you know better. I knew Niall Mc took a year out and Jerome and Ryan were injured one year. Thanks for this. Devlin and Laverty equalling Shortys record is some going.

manwithnoplan

Quote from: Oglach on November 08, 2021, 09:35:16 AM

Incredible achievement to actually feature and contribute to winning 10 championships. The dedication and consistency of performances is just something else. And obviously those others who contributed as part of the panels over the years too. As hard as it can be to watch the same team win every year (and yes we all gripe a bit about their antics at times, but they push the limits to win) nobody can say it isn't hard earned. With their experience of winning Ulster already, I doubt many would want to face them even if they haven't blown anyone away yet (maybe as they didn't need to).

Truth hurts

I was speaking to a few Darrah men yesterday and gutted is not the word for men, it was the biggest stealing of a football match in years but they have some great players and they will be back, Down TV is a great tool and it's great to be able to watch games that you cannot get to. The Fin were well worth their win but credit to Dundrum who put up one hell of a fight. Big Walsh is some stalwart for them.
Kilcoo grinded out another win and once they got the goal , Burren was always chasing. I thought Brendan Rice had a good game but the Burren men can feel aggrieved about the advantage which most likely would have been a goal. They will be big favourites for Ulster now after the results yesterday, this Maghera team seem to be worth a watching as they dismantled the Loup and Slaughtneil with ease. I would imagine them and possibly Scotstown and Cross could give them a game. I know Kilcoo might be saying they are not looking that far but there is a great chance of winning an all Ireland.

toby47

10 championships is some going!

What's the story with Darragh O'Hanlon at the minute?

Truth hurts

Jimmys winning matches Jimmys winning games!!

Please be an announcement this week, its beyond a joke now.

Leftmidfield

Quote from: knockitdown on November 07, 2021, 09:17:50 PM
Quote from: Lotto on November 07, 2021, 08:03:28 PM
Kilcoo did what they always do by doing just enough today. They identified the weakest and youngest Burren players, tracking them step for step with no opportunity to play or contribute, with these Burren players allowing themselves to be constantly bullied. Danny Magill, Kevin Mc Kernan and Burren's big hope Oran Murdock were taken out of the game. Mc Kernan has always lacked balls against Kilcoo so he is no big surprise but I expected more from Murdock. With no Kerr to break the Kilcoo line, Mc Corry had two weeks to come up with a plan B but there was no evidence of it today. Burren missed a big chance and their management/players can only blame themselves.

Can I also add that Brendan Rice, today's final referee, would do most of their in-house games and gets exceptionally well paid for them. The players know his style of refeering, what he blows and what he lets go, what you can get away with and what you can't. Some advantage to Kilcoo every year and Rice gets a fair few ££ as well. Win Win

So do kilcoo pay every ref in the county "exceptionally well" or just Brendan Rice in the hope he gets the final?  :o

What a load of brown!

I thought Odhran Murdock had a very good game not even taking into consideration his age. Taking his age into the equation then he had a very good game

befair

Daryl Branagan will be a big loss going forward in Ulster, Along with Darren O'Hagan, the outstanding club player in Down for years. Kerr was a big loss for Burren, but they were really very disappointing, seemed to be in awe of Kilcoo from the very start

Truth hurts

who was the top scorer in each of the championship does anyone know?

upandwin

Let's face it, no other team in this county has the balls to beat Kilcoo when it matters. Fair play to the Magpies yesterday, always just do enough. If they needed another score or another gear even they'd have found it. Doesn't matter how good or bad a team is against them, they'll always win by 1/2 and sail on. Hope they give Ulster a good run, Think they'll find Ulster a much more difficult proposition this year to navigate though. Cross (More than likely), Watty Gs and a couple others are stronger than the teams they faced last year. If D Brannigan is out, they've no chance IMO but hopefully he's not too bad.