Author Topic: Down Club Hurling & Football  (Read 4542591 times)

downjim

• View Profile
Re: Down Club Hurling & Football
« Reply #30105 on: August 01, 2018, 03:49:19 PM »
Wobbler-Are you doing a club championship preview this year?

thewobbler

• View Profile
    • Balllyholland Harps GAC
« Reply #30106 on: August 01, 2018, 04:00:17 PM »
Wobbler-Are you doing a club championship preview this year?

Itís a long time from I done one of those Jim.

The thing I want to see from SFC this year is 6-8 teams believing they can win, and genuinely willing themselves towards, the Frank OíHare. It is so long since it was a competitive competition that most clubs - even if they make noises otherwise - just havenít the culture needed to see off Kilcoo.

We need our every last club to turn every match against them into a fight to the death, to see where the chinks in their armour lie, and then bite, bark and frustrate them to the final whistle. For the likes of Burren, Mayobridge and Bryansford, this means a few of the more individual types taking one for the team and playing the role needed rather than the role wanted.

This isnít anti-Kilcoo by the way. Iíve nothing but respect for themmuns. But our county needs a competitive championship, and if Kilcoo manage to get trough one of those, theyíll be more ripe for Ulster.

« Last Edit: August 01, 2018, 04:19:30 PM by thewobbler »

downjim

• View Profile
« Reply #30107 on: August 01, 2018, 04:51:00 PM »
I think Kilcoo are vulnerable but they have the winning mentality which is worth at least 3 points to them. But I was impressed at how our younger players coped last Thursday night under pressure.
If they win Down they would have a great chance to win Ulster with the shenanigans at Slaughtneil at present.
Big game for Clonduff tonight with their recent form being poor.

Kingpins

• View Profile
« Reply #30108 on: August 01, 2018, 06:55:05 PM »
Kilcoo have been hugely successful in down over the last decade and for a small area, really you have to congratulate them and tip your hat to them but lets be honest they were never good enough to capture that ulster title and what was even far more dissapointing was the manner and personality they shown to gaels outside our county. For me thats the bigger reason why our county clubs needs to topple them, at end of the day its a sport with no place for the racism allegations, the sickening verbals to opposing teams, the eye gouging and to bring things to a new low it was shameful to watch one of their own push a woman to the ground last week in full view of public and children!! Yes unfortunately that is how our county club football scene is represented and portrayed to those outside the county.. for me ultimately  that is the most dissapointing thing to sit alongside the fact that while dominating down they were unable to display any silverware or class in ulster!!

Smurfy123

• View Profile
« Reply #30109 on: August 01, 2018, 09:55:22 PM »
Clonduff 1-10 14 Castlewellan
Bryansford 11 6 Ballyholland

Big result for Castlewellan tonight they are coming into a bit of form at the right time. Another poor result for Clonduff. Ballyholland on the slide too.

befair

• View Profile
« Reply #30110 on: August 02, 2018, 12:37:34 AM »
Relegation battle is shaping up nicely; Rostrevor/Ballyholland in a slump, Castlewellan recovering

elk

• View Profile
« Reply #30111 on: August 02, 2018, 08:45:25 AM »
Relegation battle is shaping up nicely; Rostrevor/Ballyholland in a slump, Castlewellan recovering
I think Downpatrick should be more worried than Rostrevor or Ballyholland. Some big games to come between the bottom teams over the next month.

Smurfy123

• View Profile
« Reply #30112 on: August 02, 2018, 11:08:55 AM »
I would be slightly concerned if I was Ballyholland coming into the championship. Yes they have a handy draw but they just donít score enough to beat anyone decent. Only Clanna Banna Dromara Mitchels and ballykinlar have score less in all divisions and the last 3 have played 5 less matches.

downjim

• View Profile
« Reply #30113 on: August 02, 2018, 12:36:34 PM »
9 goals in 17 games is a poor return especially when their main forward in over 35 and plays as a lone striker.
Carryduff will certainly be no walk over

elk

• View Profile
« Reply #30114 on: August 02, 2018, 01:26:26 PM »
9 goals in 17 games is a poor return especially when their main forward in over 35 and plays as a lone striker.
Carryduff will certainly be no walk over
Would have thought T Rushe was only about 20/21 years old

downjim

• View Profile
« Reply #30115 on: August 02, 2018, 01:57:02 PM »
Rushe plays at chf but mostly is at chb

Smurfy123

• View Profile
« Reply #30116 on: August 02, 2018, 04:13:24 PM »
Rushe was a decent minor with good potential but has not carried that form through to senior level. He is just a bang average club player now.

Hedgehunter

• View Profile
« Reply #30117 on: August 02, 2018, 07:57:26 PM »
Rushe was a decent minor with good potential but has not carried that form through to senior level. He is just a bang average club player now.

Genuine question/observation, I have always liked Rushe and thought that he could push on to bigger and better things with club and county. However he seems to have sacrificed himself to Ballyhollands defensive setup which pushes him further away from where he is most dangerous. Would I be right in my opinion/observation that this is possibly the root cause of of him levelling out so to speak??

Smurfy123

• View Profile
« Reply #30118 on: August 02, 2018, 08:51:45 PM »
Seems to lack physical strength for senior football. Was a brilliant minor and potential Down senior but like so many failed to push on

Targetman

• View Profile
« Reply #30119 on: August 02, 2018, 10:34:21 PM »
Heíll probably score more for Newry City than he would for Ballyholland!!