Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Corner Forward

Don't see how JJ relationship  is any different to james. Would like to see McCrory In next if james does step aside. Somebody with a fresh approach is what we need IMO to hopefully get r better players back wanting to play. However can't see the county board affording an outside manager.

Dubh driocht

I presume that you mean Mc Corry. His record with Kilcoo,the Bridge and others is good but not sure about him or Dawson. James has done a good job on the whole but not sure about his man management skills this year. I agree with PaulD; the players don't look happy and nothing was ever achieved without enthusiasm. Unlike others I don't have inside knowledge but some of the decisions were baffling e.g. Taking off Peter Turley when we needed his strength and energy reminded me of the treatment of John Clarke in 2010; no matter how he was playing, he was taken off. The sudden appearances of Eoin, the disappeances of some promising younger players and the reappearance of the Johnstons were visible signs of a disunited camp. James has good men around him but something was missing this year so in some ways I am glad that it's over.

Mourne Rover

It is probably just as well that our inter-county season ended early if the latest results were anything to go by. Kildare, who beat us very easily on our own pitch, were exposed as an ordinary side by Clare, and only edged home by a point. Meath, who had previously taken Kildare apart, were completely demolished by Dublin, and are clearly another limited team. The previous week, Tyrone, who also hammered us in Newry, were comprehensively outplayed by Armagh.

Kildare, Meath and Tyrone are at best middle-ranking outfits, so the evidence is that we have fallen much further down the championship pecking order. Whoever in charge next season faces a massive task, and the return of some of those who have been unavailable over the last year or two looks essential.  King, McComiskey, Savage, Mallon, O'Hanlon and the Harrison brothers would at least give us a few options if they were back in the fold, as our recent underage squads have not thrown up too many other prospects.

Down Follower

Looks like some sort of change is needed - most likely will mean James standing down but I think James can hold his head high with his record. If he stays on then he should continue to receive the support of the County.

There has been a massive overhaul of players over the past 5 years which will continue into 2015. We will probably see more Kilcoo players as I would expect the Johnstons (despite the controversy this year), to become more prominent as well as O'Hanlon. Younger/Alternative players would include a few of the Bryansford lads maybe, Danny Savage for one. Conor Doyle from Rostrevor is a good talent who consistently scores 3-4 points per game for a struggling side. These are the type of player we need to look to now in my eyes. I dont see the point in continuously calling on the like of Liam Doyle, Aidan Carr etc who no question have provided great moments for us but we need to move on now. James has started the regeneration, it is now up to him or the next man to continue the process.

supersub

Quote from: Down Follower on July 22, 2014, 02:15:14 PM
Looks like some sort of change is needed - most likely will mean James standing down but I think James can hold his head high with his record. If he stays on then he should continue to receive the support of the County.

There has been a massive overhaul of players over the past 5 years which will continue into 2015. We will probably see more Kilcoo players as I would expect the Johnstons (despite the controversy this year), to become more prominent as well as O'Hanlon. Younger/Alternative players would include a few of the Bryansford lads maybe, Danny Savage for one. Conor Doyle from Rostrevor is a good talent who consistently scores 3-4 points per game for a struggling side. These are the type of player we need to look to now in my eyes. I dont see the point in continuously calling on the like of Liam Doyle, Aidan Carr etc who no question have provided great moments for us but we need to move on now. James has started the regeneration, it is now up to him or the next man to continue the process.

U21 panel at least would be a start for Conor! Hopefully progress from that.

downjim

There is a problem with Downs development squads. Who picks the managers of these and is there a criteria for being able to coach our youth. Our underage teams are failing and the reason our older statesmen are staying on is because there is no youth there to take their places.

elk

Quote from: Down Follower on July 22, 2014, 02:15:14 PM

surely Mc Garry from Warrenpoint is worth a look at.

Brick Tamlin

Elk.
Explain if you would why he would 'surely worth a look'.

DownFanatic

James confirmed today that he has stepped down.

Personally I thought he done an excellent job with what he had at his disposal. Getting us within a kick of the ball of an All Ireland title in 2010 was a huge achievement.

A great servant to Down over the past quarter of a century or so.

ardtole

He probably over achieved the first few years, keeping us in div one as well for a couple of years. It probably is the right time to go all the same but it will be a challenging job for whoever takes it on. 2010 was the highlight, Ive always felt if Ambrose was fit that day he might have carried us over the line, he was in top form that year, but we will never know.

Sheedy

great servant for down both as a player and manager but it was time for change, the whole set up seemed to have gone stale. it will be a big challenge for whoever takes over. not many obvious candidates.
nil satis nisi optimum

Mourne Rover

James did an excellent job for us overall and he has probably picked the right time to go. People forget how far off the pace we were when he took over, and he brought us very close to the ultimate prize in an amazingly short period. Ardtole is right to mention Ambrose's injury, as he was in fastastic form as captain in 2010 and we would probably have won it if he had stayed fit. As it happened, Cork were able to bring on their captain, Canty, at the break, and he effectively turned the game.

Finding a replacement will not be easy, and there is unlikely to be the budget required to bring in a high profile outsider. The two most successful club coaches in Down, McCorry and Dawson, are both from other counties and not far off the veteran stage.

If we are going to look at young, hungry managers from inside Down, Stevie Poacher and Shane Mulholland deserve to be considered. Poacher would bring plenty of commitment and organisation while Mulholland worked with a range of county players while with Queen's.

It is not a bad time to be taking over as there will certainly not be the pressures associated with major expectations in the short term.

downjim

Your taking the piss Mourne rover I hope

whitegoodman

Would agree with the sentiments of previous posts.  James did very well but probably knew after the Kildare match that his time was up.

I'd like to see a bit of a clear out no matter who the new man is.  We are not going to win an ulster with current squad anyway and we should be able to consolidate in div 2 and start afresh.

If they don't get McCorry which I don't think they will there isn't much else within the county.  Is it time to look outside the county for the first time?  I don't see how Mulholland or Poucher can be considered at this stage.

Mourne Rover

Pete McGrath had limited club experience and had only worked at county level with the minors when he was appointed. Many people said he was too young, but he did not do too badly in the end.

It is not impossible that we could bring in an outside manager, but the funds available will considerably limit our options. As no one is expecting us to achieve much anyway, why should we not give a chance to a younger coach ?