Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

whitegoodman

I would agree with a lot of what Paul says there.  I'd love to be in a position to put both Benny and Ambrose on after 40 mins, would give the crowd and the team an ulmighty lift. 

However no point doing that if the game is already out of sight.  The only way I could see it happening would be if Gordon was to start which would be extremely doubtful at this stage.  If I were James I'd be asking him to give everything for 40 mins and then bring on the Cavalry.

It shouldn't be underestimated how big a miss Garvey would be if as expected he is out of sat night.  Him and Rooney are James go to men and with O Hagan also out the options are limited.

Should also mention the two Johnstons.  I like a few around me was sceptical when both were brought on at half time but both had major impact on the game and it was a pity he got injured when he did.

Laverty is Laverty and even though I don't like some of the things he gets up to I would prefer to have him with me than against me.

Mourne Rover

There's no shortage of advice available for James, but the impact his substitutions made yesterday tells us that he knows his squad pretty well and is ready to make the right calls. The biggest worry would be injuries, as Garvey never goes off easily and Jerome Johnston's leg looked heavily strapped as he headed towards the dressing room. He was the victim of a blatant kick, rather than a trip, from Morgan, and it plainly should have been a red card. Maginn will know he was lucky to escape a black for their penalty, but, even though he had an outstanding game, we would still have been able to replace him, probably with Ryan Johnston, another fine player. If Morgan had got his red, we would have had the extra man for the last 25 minutes, and he would have been unavailable for any replay.

Turley seemed to take a knock before he was replaced at half time, while Ambrose was probably not fully fit from the start. James may well have to consider starting either or both of them again, as the chances of getting 70 minutes at midfield out of Benny are probably slim. However, Benny showed yesterday that a natural football brain will take you a long way. It was probably his best display since the AI quarter or semi of 2010, and it is really a question of deciding whether we would get a bigger boost from starting him or exploiting the massive lift from the crowd when he appears from the bench.

The way he and Doyle were able to find space and pick out each other as the game opened up suggests they should both be held back, but that may not be possible if the injury list does not ease up by the weekend. We can assume that every effort will be made to see if big Dan might be up to a run in the final quarter as well.

It is going to be a fascinating match on Saturday, as Tyrone will have fine players to come in as well. However, we now know that they are not as formidable a side as many people were suggesting in advance. Newry is always a fortress for us so there is everything to play for.

5 Sams

League games switched from Friday night to Monday night.  Lot of unhappy managers and players about the county who were looking forward to a good long weekend after a (fingers crossed) win in Newry on Saturday night.
The Aristocrat Years

Down Follower

Quote from: 5 Sams on May 20, 2014, 01:03:15 PM
League games switched from Friday night to Monday night.  Lot of unhappy managers and players about the county who were looking forward to a good long weekend after a (fingers crossed) win in Newry on Saturday night.

A dry weekend for most is right - if Down do the business on Saturday night though it will be tempting for most to celebrate just a little.  Rostrevor v Kilcoo is on Thu night so at least one game to wet the appetite before Saturday.

DownFanatic

Quote from: 5 Sams on May 20, 2014, 01:03:15 PM

Division 3 boys can go on the rip all weekend :)

T O Hare

If the games are starred on Monday I can't understand why they are changed?
"2008 Gaaboard Cheltenham fantasy league winner"

Mid Down Gael

Kilcoo v Rostrevor is also on Monday. Unsuitable for both clubs as most of rostrevor squad are on a stag all weekend for one of their players, a stag 3 kilcoo players are also on. Kilcoo lads all have wedding at weekend where senior star for many years, Sean OHanlon gets married.
I don't think the fixture will spoil the weekend for everyone but seriously is inconvenient as there was never a mon night fixture for this date and now this has been sprung at short notice.

downjim

Paddy Carr and Bernie Ruane will need plenty of eyes at the Blues festival on Sunday night. I can't figure out why this had been changed. Does anyone know the reasoning?

gaamann

Why is anyone surprised by the decision club football is a necessary evil for our county board at this time of year if they could postpone all club games until the county team were beat they would no common sense not a thought for the hundreds of honest club footballers and their families who have planned around a Friday night fixture bank holidays are a rare chance to plan things if you are a gaa family weddings ect and how many will benefit from this 6 or 7 players but remember folks its THE DOWN WAY

whitegoodman

If Down are beat on Saturday surely the games on Monday won't be starred?? Down wouldn't have another game for 5 weeks.

PAULD123

I assume county players would have been available for these fixtures as they should have been coming during a big layoff between championship rounds. So it seems sensible to move the fixtures.

But moving them to Monday doesn't seem to make a lot of sense. Many people have pointed out that over a Bank Holiday people make plans and so the teams may actually be weaker due to the loss of several players instead of one or two county players. In addition if the games are on Monday will the county players even be able to play after playing a championship match on Saturday night?

I think it is completely ridiculous, they should have just starred the games and moved on with the programme.

southdown

Need some help, trying to arrange my stag for August/September, does anyone know of a weekend when there are no senior (and preferably reserve) fixtures?

5 Sams

Quote from: southdown on May 21, 2014, 04:13:54 PM
Need some help, trying to arrange my stag for August/September, does anyone know of a weekend when there are no senior (and preferably reserve) fixtures?

AIF weekend.
The Aristocrat Years

thewobbler

We've played ACPRL fixtures on All-Ireland Saturday before, but 5 Sams is right, that weekend is your safest bet.

5 Sams

Quote from: thewobbler on May 21, 2014, 04:30:55 PM
We've played ACPRL fixtures on All-Ireland Saturday before, but 5 Sams is right, that weekend is your safest bet.

...and what better way to spend a Sunday on your stag than sitting in a pub with your mates drinking pints watching the Dubs batter a load of culchies.....again :( :(
The Aristocrat Years