Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Leonardo

Anyone know when the Down Leagues start? When are fixtures drawn?

downup

Quote from: forevergreen on January 14, 2014, 08:34:12 PM

Hope this is right

Burren - Paddy Carr
Mayobridge - Michael Walsh & Eoghan Woods
Kilcoo - Jim McCorry
Bryansford - Frank Dawson
Castlewellan - John "Shorty" Treanor
Downpatrick - DJ Kane
Loughinisland - Kyran Smith
Rostrevor - Gerard Colgan
Saval - Darren Quinn
Longstone - PJ Magee
Glenn - John Kennedy & Tony Bagnall
Tullylish - Francie Poland & Mark McAvoy
Leitrim - Paddy O'Higgins
Annaclone - John Morgan
Ballyholland - Stevie Poucher
Clonduff - unnamed

cheers.
I think someone else is with Annaclone. John Morgan is training them alright but I think they have a seperate manager. Clonduff - unnamed... hugely talented team for no-one to take a punt on!!

Annaclone manager is Martin Mc Avoy from Hilltown and the Clonduff manager is Keith Kelly from Newry Shamrocks(living in Hilltown). All sorted now!!

5 Sams

Quote from: downup on January 21, 2014, 02:29:50 PM
Quote from: forevergreen on January 14, 2014, 08:34:12 PM

Hope this is right

Burren - Paddy Carr
Mayobridge - Michael Walsh & Eoghan Woods
Kilcoo - Jim McCorry
Bryansford - Frank Dawson
Castlewellan - John "Shorty" Treanor
Downpatrick - DJ Kane
Loughinisland - Kyran Smith
Rostrevor - Gerard Colgan
Saval - Darren Quinn
Longstone - PJ Magee
Glenn - John Kennedy & Tony Bagnall
Tullylish - Francie Poland & Mark McAvoy
Leitrim - Paddy O'Higgins
Annaclone - John Morgan
Ballyholland - Stevie Poucher
Clonduff - unnamed

cheers.
I think someone else is with Annaclone. John Morgan is training them alright but I think they have a seperate manager. Clonduff - unnamed... hugely talented team for no-one to take a punt on!!

Annaclone manager is Martin Mc Avoy from Hilltown and the Clonduff manager is Keith Kelly from Newry Shamrocks(living in Hilltown). All sorted now!!

You serious???
The Aristocrat Years

downup

That's the information I was given. Big step for his managerial debut.

CHB1

True that Keith Kelly is the new manager.  What he like 5sams?

5 Sams

Quote from: CHB1 on January 22, 2014, 01:36:08 PM

I haven't spoken to Keith in years. He's a good lad, played for us for a good few years and was a very skilful forward. He ended up going to Shamrocks but I would never have put him down as management material.....ever.....I don't want to be disparaging about the lad's ability as a manager...maybe he has come up through the managerial ranks in Hilltown and now has all the credentials to mix it with the big boys. I was just very surprised to see his name on that list.
The Aristocrat Years

thebar

Quote from: 5 Sams on January 22, 2014, 02:18:06 PM

I haven't spoken to Keith in years. He's a good lad, played for us for a good few years and was a very skilful forward. He ended up going to Shamrocks but I would never have put him down as management material.....ever.....I don't want to be disparaging about the lad's ability as a manager...maybe he has come up through the managerial ranks in Hilltown and now has all the credentials to mix it with the big boys. I was just very surprised to see his name on that list.

Good luck to him I wish the man well. Good to see some new blood getting their chance.

drici

https://twitter.com/ShamrocksNewry
Newry Shamrocks GAA ‏@ShamrocksNewry
@KickhamsCreggan Our Social club will be open 2 hours before the semi-final clash with Fullen Gaels for supporters attending the game!!

(good news for anybody bustin' for a drink at ten o'clock on Sunday morning)

Leonardo

Taking a stab at predicting this years Div 1
Burren
Bryansford
Kilcoo
Castle wallah
Mayobridge
Rostrevor
Clonduff
Saval
Ballyholland
Longstone
Annaclone
RGU
Loughinisland
Leitrim
Tullylish
Glenn

Buffer

Although you are only having a guess at it,finishing top of the senior league means nothing as we see every year.as we seen kilcoo were quite happy to just make the top 3 then they always knew they hada chance. I'll say that I can't see burren finish as high this year and won't be surprised if the newcomers finish higher up the ranks than you expect...time will tell

ardtole

Is Timmy Hanna on the county panel this year? He was very impressive for the u21s a few years back, if he has returne from Oz he might have something to offer.

5 Sams

Quote from: thebar on January 22, 2014, 04:52:53 PM
Quote from: 5 Sams on January 22, 2014, 02:18:06 PM

Just heard Brendan Loughran.. ex Ballyholland manager...is in the mix with Keith. Not a bad move...Loughran delivered a few trophies for the Harps and did a good job with Carrickcruppen a few years ago.

Good luck to him I wish the man well. Good to see some new blood getting their chance.
The Aristocrat Years

supersub

Quote from: Buffer on January 26, 2014, 09:09:25 PM
Although you are only having a guess at it,finishing top of the senior league means nothing as we see every year.as we seen kilcoo were quite happy to just make the top 3 then they always knew they hada chance. I'll say that I can't see burren finish as high this year and won't be surprised if the newcomers finish higher up the ranks than you expect...time will tell

Not sure what club you are from and fair enough if that's what you make of it, but I would be seriously worried about the newcomers to Div 1. When Rostrevor were in Div 2 it was a totally different ball game of which they won most of their games comfortably. In that season Glenn and Tullylish were in Div 3 if I am not mistaken, they now find themselves in the top tier. Unless they have both dramatically improved I would feel they will struggle.

Down Follower

Quote from: supersub on January 27, 2014, 09:26:11 AM
Quote from: Buffer on January 26, 2014, 09:09:25 PM

Not sure what club you are from and fair enough if that's what you make of it, but I would be seriously worried about the newcomers to Div 1. When Rostrevor were in Div 2 it was a totally different ball game of which they won most of their games comfortably. In that season Glenn and Tullylish were in Div 3 if I am not mistaken, they now find themselves in the top tier. Unless they have both dramatically improved I would feel they will struggle.

I would also expect them to struggle but without doubt they will give teams a run for it, especially in the early months and at home. Glenn is a very difficult place to play in for one.

Mourne Rover

Paddy Power has listed us as 8/13 against Monaghan on Sunday, with 13/8 for an away win and 15/2 the draw. Those odds could easily have been the other way round on the strength of our McKenna Cup performances, but, with only two other home fixtures to come, we really need to get something out of this game. It is a tight division and points on the road will be hard to find.

Even allowing for injuries and unavailability, James will hopefully name our team at a reasonably early stage. If Mark Poland is fit again, it would give us a big lift.