Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NP 76

As far as I have heard Paul that's true we are limited enough with numbers without losing another 3 players .was delighted to see Mc Comiskey and o Hagan back and thought Arthur would of got a bit of a run in the team but good luck to them you can't blame any lad for heading away

snoopdog

Quote from: NP 76 on March 28, 2013, 04:19:24 PM
As far as I have heard Paul that's true we are limited enough with numbers without losing another 3 players .was delighted to see Mc Comiskey and o Hagan back and thought Arthur would of got a bit of a run in the team but good luck to them you can't blame any lad for heading away

doesnt say much for the current set up. would mickey Harte be letting 3 of his players head off to the states for the summer. would they not wait to see how we get on against Derry first.  While i dont blame them for heading off they obviously have no belief in their or the panels ability if they would rather head off and play football in the states for the summer than have a crack at the Championship

supersub

Load of balls they are young lads football doesn't have to rule their lives, one of the reasons Paul quit last year. Plenty more football to play.

Pangurban

There is a general lack of belief and committment within the present Down panel. Some lads are giving their all but others are there for the Blazer. It appears we can safely book the Holidays anytime between June and August as an early exit from championship is certain. That coupled with Div.2 football next season will lead to a further decline in our fortunes.  Very depressing outlook but difficult to envisage any other outcome

Line Ball

Quote from: Pangurban on March 29, 2013, 08:46:44 PM
There is a general lack of belief and committment within the present Down panel. Some lads are giving their all but others are there for the Blazer. It appears we can safely book the Holidays anytime between June and August as an early exit from championship is certain. That coupled with Div.2 football next season will lead to a further decline in our fortunes.  Very depressing outlook but difficult to envisage any other outcome

A lack of belief and commitment - not sure how you work that one out?  These lads all give so many hours/days/times to the Down cause - commitment is not a problem.  Playing for the blazer - you some Cricket head or something?  We are a Div 2 team - get over it.

charlieTully

Quote from: supersub on March 29, 2013, 12:18:50 AM
Load of balls they are young lads football doesn't have to rule their lives, one of the reasons Paul quit last year. Plenty more football to play.

there wasn't much point in him coming back if he is going to f**k off to the states before the championship even starts, i wouldn't have in a Down jersey again.

ardtole

What surprised me about the three lads leaving was that they all featured against Dublin. I cant understand why McCartan would play three lads who are leaving the panel in a few days. Surely the subs knew they were all leaving and other panel members who didnt feature at all would have known they were going as well. Its only human nature to feel pissed off, if you are training away maybe hoping to play in croke park for the first time and lads get a game before you and everyone knowing that they have their bags packed. Will there be any resentment from other members of the panel?

Minus15

Lads - I am not 100% on this but I am pretty sure that Paul's plans for this year were never a secret from the outset and James and co were fully aware that he was heading off.

The lad didn't have to go back near the county and could have just sat back in preparation for his holidays, but he was asked back and he felt he was ready to get involved again.

From his performances this year, you couldn't challenge his commitment or dedication to the cause. The lad owes Down nothing. Good look to him and hope to see him back in the red and black next summer.

ardtole

I didnt criticise any of the players, I just thought it was a strange decision from McCartan to play three lads who are not going to be around for the championship and just one game against Kildare to try and blood replacements or alternatives for the Derry game. I just dont understand the reasoning behind it.

east down gael

Any results from division 3?i think so far Mitchell's beat killyleagh quite easily,ardglass got a good win over aughlisnafin and St. Paul's won a tight one against magheralin.any other games played so far?

sabhallphadraig

From Down website:

TECONNAUGHT 0-7 V 0-11 AGHADERG
ARDGLASS 2-9 V 1-4 AUGHLISNAFIN
ST MICHAEL'S 1-4 V 0-8 ST PAUL'S
BALLYKINLAR 0-2 V 7-15 BRIGHT
KILLYLEAGH 1-7 V 4-13 MITCHELS
DROMARA v DRUMANESS (OFF)

First results don't do anything to convince this will help with the development of some clubs who struggled in the previous Div 4 ...

east down gael

Ballykinlar seem to be really struggling,you'd have to wonder how much longer they will hold out for unfortunately.thats not a bad showing from killyleagh either,Mitchell's would be one of the stronger teams in the division.I'd see themselves,ardglass and drumaness being favourites to go up.

snoopdog

Either Cavan are a very good team or Down r terrible. Barring a miracle in last 5 mins down well beat.

Mourne Rover

Down were well beaten, 1-12 to 0-6. In fairness, Mooney and McCartan, the two stars of the minors of three years ago, have left the country, and O'Hare, our free-taker from the first round, was injured tonight. McParland was apparently the captain this year, and started for the seniors last summer, but did not feature in either u21 game. Anyone know if he is also injured or if he is due back in the senior squad ?

Mourne Rover

Today was a pretty decent performance against a Kildare side which admittedly did not have much to play for. We always knew relegation was a possibility in a very strong first division. but the margins were tight and, if we had held on against Cork in injury time, they would have gone down instead of us.

We have two months to prepare for a tough trip to Derry in the championship, and the priority has to be getting as many as possible of our injured players back. Our defence, while far from the finished article, has improved considerably this season, and, as well as the six who started today, the likes of Gordon, Carr, Garvey and Mallon should give us plenty of options there.

McVeigh had the usual mix of decent and poor kick-outs, although he sometimes did not have much to aim at. His handling was good, and he had no chance with their goal, which came when a fantastic block from Damien Turley somehow ended upstraight in O'Neill's hands inside the square.

Dan McCartan was as steady as ever, and gave Doyle no real room to move, while McArdle, apart from a couple of dodgy moments, was solid and gets up the field very well. Costello was impressive in the second half and managed two excellent blocks late on.

Peter Turley, apart from one handling error, had a fine afternoon and used his strength effectively. Rooney and Boyle were  equally good at wing half, giving us a decent platform there.

Not everyone seems to appreciate the work King gets through but he was great again today. When they have the ball, he makes them go backwards. When he has the ball, he gives it immediately to someone in a better place. All this opens up space for Mc Mc Kernan, who was comfortably man of the match, ran the show at midfield and got 1-3 from play. We can even forgive him for possibly the worst 45 ever seen at the Marshes, which went backwards straight to a Kildare man and led to a point which should have been a goal.

Poland was nearly as good as McKernan, and popped up everywhere, but Devlin was a disappointment, seemed to be knocked off the ball too easily and it was surprising that he was not replaced. Quinn was presumably injured when he went off before half time but McArdle when he came on showed pace and power and will be in the mix for a championship start.

Eoin McCartan had a strange game in which he saw very little of the ball but tucked away two close-range goals and won an important free in front of the posts. Benny may be struggling a bit for fitness, but he set up a goal and kicked a fine point before retiring at half-time. While O'Hare did not really feature from play, he put over his frees and has the notable achievement of finishing as division one's overall top scorer in his first league season.

Of the other subs, Mallon really looked the part and may now have a claim for a championship place in both the forwards and the backs. Madine took two smart points in quick succession, but Kelly and Damien Turley had little time to make an impression.