Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sebastion

I think Dan would fit in anywhere in the team,I know it would seam unfair to players to have played all the national league and come the later stages , your place to be threatened  by someone who has not been there,but we all know that he will be back sooner or later ,and the sooner the better.As other places in the team are concerned corner back Dan McCartan for me struggles in this team and at this level,James has to show some Strong manegerial skills and replace this player,Luke Howard would be the first person that comes to mind.Stephen Kearney is another player for me that is a little shaky ,every time he gains possion he either goes backways or side ways and playing in the half forward line you need a player to be driving forward,taking on players,and picking out our full forwards.He also switches off when we are not in possion ,he is always the wrong side of the ball and try's to compensate when it is too late.Liam Doyle ,I hear is only going to be fit for at the very most a half if we want him to be fit for the next game as he is in pure agony after a training session ,so is going to be a good man at coming in to a game .

supersub

Quote from: Long Ball on March 30, 2010, 09:12:47 AM
No ACPRL fixtures on Easter Sunday according to the Irish News

Letting us all get our Sunday roast! :)

dundrumite

Quote from: sebastion on March 30, 2010, 12:34:07 PM
I think Dan would fit in anywhere in the team,I know it would seam unfair to players to have played all the national league and come the later stages , your place to be threatened  by someone who has not been there,but we all know that he will be back sooner or later ,and the sooner the better.As other places in the team are concerned corner back Dan McCartan for me struggles in this team and at this level,James has to show some Strong manegerial skills and replace this player,Luke Howard would be the first person that comes to mind.Stephen Kearney is another player for me that is a little shaky ,every time he gains possion he either goes backways or side ways and playing in the half forward line you need a player to be driving forward,taking on players,and picking out our full forwards.He also switches off when we are not in possion ,he is always the wrong side of the ball and try's to compensate when it is too late.Liam Doyle ,I hear is only going to be fit for at the very most a half if we want him to be fit for the next game as he is in pure agony after a training session ,so is going to be a good man at coming in to a game .
Maybe have a another analysis of your post there. Luke Howard did his cruciate and has not played a competitive match in 8 or 9 months at any  level and probably had the guts of collective training for 3 weeks since his trip around the world and your looking to fire him into the mix at undercounty level?
Undefeated in six, with promotion a game in advance and your questioning the strength of his managerial skills?  :o

Joe Umbrella (hey)

I can't believe how some people are still questioning our county players.

With a convincing promotion to the top tier, this has been Downs most successful run of competive games in years and according to the stats Down at present have the best defence in all four divisions.

How does Dan McCartan struggle for you? Is it because he makes up part of a defensive unit that has conceded less the any other team in the country so far in the NFL?

As for Kearney, against Donegal, Armagh and Westmeath he put himself about and ran himself almost to a standstill doing the dirty work and spoiling for the good of the team. In fact his role of dropping back into defence is a major factor in how this team now plays.

Just what does 'he is always the wrong side of the ball and try's co compensate when it is too late' mean?

It's bad enough singling out players for criticism after defeats never mind when they're winning and winning well.

Brick Tamlin

i wouldnt worry too much, Mid-term and all.

T O Hare

Whats your predictions for the club season ahead!!! Kilcoo and Burren must surely be the teams to beat!!!
"2008 Gaaboard Cheltenham fantasy league winner"

Long Ball

Quote from: Joe Umbrella (hey) on March 30, 2010, 02:49:07 PM

I can't believe how some people are still questioning our county players.

With a convincing promotion to the top tier, this has been Downs most successful run of competive games in years and according to the stats Down at present have the best defence in all four divisions.

How does Dan McCartan struggle for you? Is it because he makes up part of a defensive unit that has conceded less the any other team in the country so far in the NFL?

As for Kearney, against Donegal, Armagh and Westmeath he put himself about and ran himself almost to a standstill doing the dirty work and spoiling for the good of the team. In fact his role of dropping back into defence is a major factor in how this team now plays.

Just what does 'he is always the wrong side of the ball and try's co compensate when it is too late' mean?

It's bad enough singling out players for criticism after defeats never mind when they're winning and winning well.

Let's not get carried away with ourselves lads- yes we have had a decent league so far but we are from the finished article. Just because our defence hasn't conceded as many scores as other teams doesn't mean it is fine- there is definitely work to be done and for me Dan McCartan is not one of the top 6 defenders we have. Don't forget we have been fielding what James deems to be the strongest team available to him each game while just about every other county are using the NFL to test players and give them a chance to stake a claim in a championship team they may not otherwise come close to featuring in.
Yes, things are without doubt on the up but the proof of where we really are will come when the Ulster Championship kicks off!!
Drive yer boot in her!!

dundrumite

Quote from: T O Hare on March 30, 2010, 03:44:35 PM
Whats your predictions for the club season ahead!!! Kilcoo and Burren must surely be the teams to beat!!!

What about the team that has won 5 out of the past 6 senior championships?  :)

thegael

We must not get carried away but overall we are in a good position.

Now as the pitches harden and the ball is goling faster it is  time to let Daniel go back to club football!

We need Dan Gordon asap and throw him straight into midfield.

the gael takes no prisoners!

T O Hare

Quote from: dundrumite on March 30, 2010, 05:42:54 PM
Quote from: T O Hare on March 30, 2010, 03:44:35 PM

What about the team that has won 5 out of the past 6 senior championships?  :)

Past it ;)

T O Hare

Quote from: thegael on March 30, 2010, 05:54:42 PM
We must not get carried away but overall we are in a good position.

Now as the pitches harden and the ball is goling faster it is  time to let Daniel go back to club football!

We need Dan Gordon asap and throw him straight into midfield.

the gael takes no prisoners!

Give Dan a break, they lad has had a good league campaign thusfar and is on the team on merit!!

sebastion

What I mean by being the wrong side of the ball is,James wants his half forwards to come back and help out his half backs and on countless occasions Stephen is marking a man that is not involved in the play and when he decides to get back he is left chasing shadows,look I have seen Stephen Kearney playing decent stuff in a county jersey in the NL but I am not fully convinced about him.Dan McCartan when exposed to a one on one situation will foul the lad can not tackle and you can not do that at full back,he has got away with it so far in NL but when fitter players come along in the summer he will not cut it .example,rugby tackle in the Armagh game for the pen.Westmeath is hardly a cutting edge team in Ireland at the minute,it just my opinion.

sebastion

I seen Luke Howard at the Armagh game with water on the side line and thought he must be training with the team,I stand corrected if what you say is true,dundrumite

The Worker

Quote from: sebastion on March 30, 2010, 08:09:55 PM
What I mean by being the wrong side of the ball is,James wants his half forwards to come back and help out his half backs and on countless occasions Stephen is marking a man that is not involved in the play and when he decides to get back he is left chasing shadows,look I have seen Stephen Kearney playing decent stuff in a county jersey in the NL but I am not fully convinced about him.Dan McCartan when exposed to a one on one situation will foul the lad can not tackle and you can not do that at full back,he has got away with it so far in NL but when fitter players come along in the summer he will not cut it .example,rugby tackle in the Armagh game for the pen.Westmeath is hardly a cutting edge team in Ireland at the minute,it just my opinion.

Thankfully for the County, your opinion is worthless..... and Wee James and the management team obviously disagrees with it. Dan has played his part in helping Down to get promoted to Div 1. and the much criticised Down defence have currently the best defensive record in the league.. Dan has nothin to prove...

sebastion

Quote from: The Worker on March 30, 2010, 10:29:03 PM
Quote from: sebastion on March 30, 2010, 08:09:55 PM

Thankfully for the County, your opinion is worthless..... and Wee James and the management team obviously disagrees with it. Dan has played his part in helping Down to get promoted to Div 1. and the much criticised Down defence have currently the best defensive record in the league.. Dan has nothin to prove...
I' m only airing my opinion ,and it is easy to fall into the opinion that the team are doing well and will continue to do so with out making changes to personal,and there is no doubt they are at the minute. I'm just looking a few weeks down the line, croke park will test a few players the wide open spaces will reveal who has what to offer and don't get me wrong I hope wee James does not have to make a change to the team come the game of the NL final but I think he will have to.