Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DownFanatic

Let's be honest. That was a very mediocre bunch of players we had this year. Its unlikely that any of them will be involved with the Seniors later on. Teams that generally do well at U-21 level usually have a few Senior panellists in tow.

Collins got his names a bit mixed up in the Irish News today as well. He referred to Cavan's ace attacker David Givney as John Gibney.

Mid Down Gael

Just back from Cavan and gutted for the team and managers. Down totally frooze on the night and had no luck watso ever. It would be easy to criticise management and players but they didnt go out tonight for that to happen. Everything went wrong and Cavan where absolutly superb on the night. People can slag off management all they like but the team that started was close to the best available in the county. once a team crosses the white line management can do little.  The team struggled in midfield and the forwards had to live off scraps while the defence where under severe pressure. Just a bad night all round, the only consolation is that there are 8 off the starting team and 4 off the subs used underage next year. And to be fair to the management they had a hard act to follow in Wee Pete winning 2 ulsters in a row with much stronger teams. They should be given another year to learn from this.

Mid Down Gael

Quote from: Mourne Rover on March 24, 2010, 10:16:54 PM
It's a very long time since a Down team lost a championship match by 12 points, and apparently our goal was the last kick of the night. Underage games can be a bit unpredictable, but we won by two points when the same sides met in the preliminary round of the 07 MFC. Unless they were injured, it was surprising that the likes of Ben O'Reilly and Christy Killen did not start. Good luck to Cavan though, as I don't think they have ever won an under 21 Ulster title.

Chris Killen was injured and on form in the previous games played Ben didnt deserve to start. Cavan where unreal tonightand it wouldnt have mattered who else was included. it was just one off those nights when everything went wrong.

thegael

Quote from: thegael on November 26, 2009, 10:51:41 AM
Mid Down ofcourse they should be judged that way. My issue is how in the name of God he got the job.He has zero managerial track record bar a little with div 4 annsborough!!!!
I am told he is not even a member of the gaa .
He would be laughed at if he went for any decent club job he hasn't the cv and it is absolutely ludicrous that he was appointed in the first place!
Things need to be done properly could you imagine him getting a managerial job with any top club team - no way he just hasn't the experience.As a long time follower of Down football club and county I have never seen him at a game. Yes he might go to the silly nostalgic functions about the 90 s teams and plays the great respectable game of golf with old teammates - yawn yawn but he isn't a football man he hasn't got the experience!It is madness to have appointed him ! He probably is a nice fella but going straight in as a county under 21 manager is madness beyond belief !
How in 2009 can such appointments be made at least mc cartan did his time served his apprenticeship so to speak with queens , burren, st galls and ballinderry but collins has not - this is a serious issue ans this should not have happened!

Mid Down Gael

Quote from: thegael on March 25, 2010, 08:48:26 AM
Mid Down ofcourse they should be judged that way. My issue is how in the name of God he got the job.He has zero managerial track record bar a little with div 4 annsborough!!!!
He would be laughed at if he went for any decent club job he hasn't the cv and it is absolutely ludicrous that he was appointed in the first place!
Things need to be done properly could you imagine him getting a managerial job with any top club team - no way he just hasn't the experience.As a long time follower of Down football club and county I have never seen him at a game. Yes he might go to the silly nostalgic functions about the 90 s teams and plays the great respectable game of golf with old teammates - yawn yawn but he isn't a football man he hasn't got the experience!It is madness to have appointed him ! He probably is a nice fella but going straight in as a county under 21 manager is madness beyond belief !
How in 2009 can such appointments be made at least mc cartan did his time served his apprenticeship so to speak with queens , burren, st galls and ballinderry but collins has not - this is a serious issue ans this should not have happened!

Its easy to stick the knife in and kick a man when he is down. Brendan McKernan, Stevie Poucher and Tom Potter are an experienced backroom team and its not all about Neil Collins. Look i have not missed an under 21 game all year, and yes they management made mistakes but last night the team where simply outclassed by a bigger, more physical and better football team. Management couldnt have done much about it and the players simply didnt turn up and let the management team, who had prepared the team well, down. Its easy coming on here and slating players and management but that wont help anyone.

spiritof91and94

Quote from: Out in Front on March 24, 2010, 04:58:53 PM

Any word on the team for tonight?
1. K Gordan
2. O Costello
3. D Turley
4. R McGovern
5. D O'Hagen
6. M Higgens
7. C Poland
8. R Digney
9 A McArdle
10 P Devlin
11. C Harrison
12 B Kane
13. P McPolin
14 E Toner
15 J Conelly
[/quote]

Would any of these players be expected to step up to the senior squad when they exit the U21 championship, whenever that may be?
[/quote]

Out of interest;
Can anyone name the clubs these boys came from - this is the bunch that as minors that narrowly lost to tyrone in Omagh?

Mid Down Gael

Quote from: spiritof91and94 on March 25, 2010, 09:50:42 AM

1. K Gordan Loughinisland
2. O Costello Bredagh
3. D Turley Downpatrick
4. R McGovern Burren
5. D O'Hagen Clonduff
6. M Higgens Ballymartin
7. C Poland Longstone
8. R Digney Saval
9 A McArdle Burren
10 P Devlin Kilcoo
11. C Harrison Glasdrumman
12 B Kane Kilcoo
13. P McPolin Clonduff
14 E Toner Burren
15 J Conelly Downpatrick

Would any of these players be expected to step up to the senior squad when they exit the U21 championship, whenever that may be?
[/quote]

Out of interest;
Can anyone name the clubs these boys came from - this is the bunch that as minors that narrowly lost to tyrone in Omagh?
[/quote]

No next years team lost to Tyrone at minor level.

13aside

this u21 team(as minors) lost to monaghan in crossmaglen the week after beating cavan in breffni park the same day the seniors drew their c'ship match in '07

DownFanatic

Quote from: spiritof91and94 on March 25, 2010, 09:50:42 AM

1. K Gordan
2. O Costello
3. D Turley
4. R McGovern
5. D O'Hagen
6. M Higgens
7. C Poland
8. R Digney
9 A McArdle
10 P Devlin
11. C Harrison
12 B Kane
13. P McPolin
14 E Toner
15 J Conelly

[/quote]

Out of interest;
[/quote]

1. K Gordan - Loughinisland
2. O Costello - Bredagh
3. D Turley - Downpatrick
4. R McGovern - Burren
5. D O'Hagan - Clonduff
6. M Higgins - Ballymartin
7. C Poland - Longstone
8. R Digney - Saval
9 A McArdle - Burren
10 P Devlin - Kilcoo
11. C Harrison - Glasdrumman
12 B Kane - Kilcoo
13. P McPolin - Clonduff
14 E Toner - Burren
15 J Connolly - Downpatrick

EagleLord

Mid Down Gael, you are right, it probably isnt really right to come on and slate the manager here, just after the team has been beaten.. But to be honest, we all said the same thing when he was appointed. He didnt becaome a bad manager overnight some might say, thats becasue he was never a manager in the first place! We all said at the very start that he has no experience whatsoever to manage at that level. It was ludacris that he got the job in the first place. He should go. so i agree with the gael there . By the way, Theres no way Connaire Harrison should play county level either. Hes got a terrible attitude. Thats been said before on here.

Out in Front

HELP WANTED
Would anybody have the final league tables for Divisions 1,2, 3 & 4 from last year?
I can't find them on the Down website and I'm trying to get my previews done for the start of the club leagues.

Thanks.

Long Ball

Quote from: mournerambler on March 24, 2010, 04:24:38 PM
Quote from: Long Ball on March 24, 2010, 04:20:42 PM
Does anyone know the date for the NFL 2 Final so I can make arrangements (Assuming we are there of course)

According to the GAA master fixtures plan, Division 1 & 2 NFL finals are on Sunday 25th April, i'd imagine it'll be a double header in Croke Park like last year.

Thanks MR
Drive yer boot in her!!

thegael

Quote from: thegael on March 25, 2010, 08:48:26 AM
They are not an experienced management team.
Would a leading club side in down let them in charge of a senior team?? no chance  - a disaster of an appointment by our co board.

bridgegael

surely ryan brady should have at least been on the u21 panel this year.
"2009 Gaaboard Cheltenham fantasy league winner"

No hoper

Quote from: bridgegael on March 26, 2010, 05:39:49 PM
surely ryan brady should have at least been on the u21 panel this year.
I agree ryan should definatly made at least the panel and would have been close to a starting place. Lookin at the starting team only about 5 or 6 are overage next year.