Are Donegal the Best Team Ever???

Started by screenexile, August 31, 2014, 05:04:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aristo 60

Quote from: balladmaker on September 02, 2014, 11:28:59 AM
QuoteArmagh would have been swatted aside by Dublin just like Monaghan were.

'Swatted' indeed ... how did you come to that opinion?  Dublin were 'swatted' on Sunday.  Used to steamrolling average teams into submission and then playing fancy football in front of a full house in Croke Park, once tested as they were against Donegal, Dublin were shown to be lacking.  Stick them into an Ulster Championship, and you wouldn't see much of the Dubs in Croke Park ;-)

An argument for the open draw if ever there was one! And I'm no fan of anything new!

AZOffaly

larryin89

On serious reflection there have been four teams fairly consistent over the last four years with not a lot between them, of course Mayo would be the less of the four because they never won it but that is the truth, Kerry unlucky in 11 and last year to lose out to dublin, my point is i dont believe there is any gulf of diff between the four squads , kerry, Mayo, dublin and donegal.
Walk-in down mchale rd , sun out, summers day , game day . That's all .

Mike Sheehy

Quote from: AZOffaly on September 02, 2014, 12:52:50 PM
Where are Monaghan from again?

Apparently Ulster is a very fluid concept in the eyes of Ulstermen. It's makeup changes everytime one of them gets beaten.

thebuzz

Quote from: Mike Sheehy on September 02, 2014, 01:28:29 PM
Quote from: AZOffaly on September 02, 2014, 12:52:50 PM
Where are Monaghan from again?

Apparently Ulster is a very fluid concept in the eyes of Ulstermen. It's makeup changes everytime one of them gets beaten.

No county from Ulster (except Donegal) would currently be able to live with that Dublin side.

balladmaker

QuoteNo county from Ulster (except Donegal) would currently be able to live with that Dublin side.

Unfortunately due to the current provincial system, we won't get to prove that statement to be accurate or otherwise.

AZOffaly

screenexile

Quote from: AZOffaly on September 02, 2014, 02:10:02 PM
Derry played them this year too, no?

Played em twice... won one lost one. We also beat Mayo & Kerry this year!

Are we really going to count the league though???!!!

DennistheMenace

Dublin outside of Croke Park aren't nearly as a formidable side.

AZOffaly

I think a League semi final or final in Croke Park counts.

screenexile

Quote from: AZOffaly on September 02, 2014, 02:28:56 PM

We bate Mayo in Croke Park... nobody's really counting that up here though in fairness!

AZOffaly

The comment was made that Dublin would struggle in Ulster. I think that's wishful thinking. I think a very good Donegal side played a great game and had a brilliant plan which worked on the day. I'm not so sure any other Ulster team would have the capacity for such a performance at the moment. Monaghan have been in the last 2 Ulster finals and won 1 of them. Dublin blew them away.

Styles make fights they say, and Donegal's style and more importantly their execution of it short circuited Dublin. It's as complicated and as simple as that.

screenexile

Quote from: AZOffaly on September 02, 2014, 02:41:38 PM
The comment was made that Dublin would struggle in Ulster. I think that's wishful thinking. I think a very good Donegal side played a great game and had a brilliant plan which worked on the day. I'm not so sure any other Ulster team would have the capacity for such a performance at the moment. Monaghan have been in the last 2 Ulster finals and won 1 of them. Dublin blew them away.

Styles make fights they say, and Donegal's style and more importantly their execution of it short circuited Dublin. It's as complicated and as simple as that.

Wouldn't be us they would struggle against that's for sure!

BluestackBoy

Quote from: AZOffaly on September 02, 2014, 02:28:56 PM

In terms of winning All Ireland's the league has no bearing of any description any more.

Donegal were well beaten in the Division 2 final for crying out loud & I don't recall Kerry or Mayo being at the sharp end of league action either, yet they won their provincial championships & were 3 of the top 4 counties in Ireland when it mattered.

The same will happen in 2015. Donegal have to start their club championship after the final so there is no way that most of these fellas will feature in the league. It will be used to bring younger & squad players on a bit.
For what shall it profit a man if he gains the whole world & loses his soul.

AZOffaly

You're missing my point. My point is that just because Donegal did a brilliant job on Sunday, it does not imply that the rest of Ulster would stick it to the Dubs.