A.N. Other
29 (29.3%)

Total Members Voted: 99

Lar Naparka

Quote from: screenexile on September 25, 2014, 11:16:50 AM
Quote from: Lar Naparka on September 25, 2014, 11:11:21 AM
Quote from: moysider on September 24, 2014, 11:29:50 PM
Quote from: maigheo on September 24, 2014, 10:58:03 PM
I do remember McHale ripping into James Horan after the 2012 all ireland and thinking at the time that McHale was a bo--ix and was way out of line,but I cannot for the life of me remember what it was .Pretty sure it was in the Western.McHale was one of my favorite players and I remember meeting an old timer at the final training session before the 96 all ireland and him telling me that McHale should not be on the team as he was only a basketballer.Of course Mchale was man of the match the following Sunday :) :).

The old timer mentality still prevails.

But sure he was right. We didn t win. And he was def. right the next day when Lord Liam was sent him off for no reason. Pateen and Noel didn't get sent off. No reason to. Mind you there was no reason to send off any Mayo player that day.
We've disagreed on this one before moy and we're doing it again right now.
After the drawn game Liam went public ( think it was the Western) saying that Mayo weren't prepared for the rough tactics of the Meath men and Mayo would be ready fot them in the replay-or something like that.
There's every chance than McEnaney heard about this and when the big hoor ran in past him and started handbagging all around him, he probably took him at his word and that's why he red-carded Mac.
McEnaney cost us the game alright but it wasn't the sending off that did the damage.
The bustard allowed Geraghty to take a quick free that led to the second goal even though he told both teams before the game that he wouldn't allow quickies to be taken. The Mayo defence was taken completely by surprise but McEnaney allowed the goal to stand in spite of their objections.
I don't think McHale should take his sending off as a personal insult. He brought it on himself. God knows he wasn't a dirty player but he was a pretty innocent one.
He should have kept his gob shut after the first game and be prepared to stand his ground for the replay without broadcasting his intentions.

Ah here lads are you having me on or what??!!
Well, that's what some Mayo players had to say afterwards.
I watched the video and it was plain to see that Geraghty took the free quickly while the Mayo defenders were still only getting into position. Some of them had their backs turned to him.
Then when the goal was allowed the Mayo lads ganged up on McEnaney to protest but he just waved his arms dismissively and walked away from them.
You can make what you  like of that but I know what I think.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

Crete Boom

Quote from: Bensars on September 25, 2014, 01:43:36 PM
Quote from: macdanger2 on September 25, 2014, 10:34:29 AM
CB meeting tonight, any idea what's on the agenda??

This thread could easily hit 100 pages!!

Easily, especially when the annual persecution complex raises it head. Post mortem beyond post mortem.
I actually think some of you Mayo buckos get off on playing the victim.

There is a good chance some do Bensars but it isn't a uniquely Mayo trait but an Irish trait but that's for a different thread.

Crete Boom

Quote from: screenexile on September 25, 2014, 01:53:12 PM

Easily, especially when the annual persecution complex raises it head. Post mortem beyond post mortem.

It's seeming that way. "We lost an All Ireland because McEneaney told us there were to be no quick frees and then he allowed one" bit is staggering really

I certainly don't think this and 99% of the Mayo gaa people I know wouldn't say this. McEneaney did instruct both teams( well I assume he told Meath as well) that he wouldn't be allowing any quick frees but he allowed that free by Geraghty although this happens in every game we were just unlucky that it happened at a crucial time!! It definitely didn't cost us the All Ireland as if you ask most Mayo Gaa folk they will point to the fact that we were 6 points up in the drawn game and couldn't close out the game with our sideline slow to stem the Meath momentum ( any of this sound familiar :'().

Crete Boom

Quote from: Shrewdness on September 25, 2014, 01:20:27 PM
There's obviously a lot of anger and annoyance on these pages at the direction this issue took after Horan stepped down.. As an outsider looking in and trying to wade through the various opinions, can someone answer this for me?...Is the widespread annoyance because of the ''process'' that saw Connelly/ Holmes appointed, or is it specifically because Connelly/ Holmes got the job at all??

It's the process for me Shrewdness. Why not let McStay/McHale interview even if the executive were leaning on the side Connelly/Holmes? They could have had their doubts about McStay/McHale confirmed and  see through a process that had been agreed by the County Board and the appointment committee!!

screenexile

Quote from: Crete Boom on September 25, 2014, 02:27:17 PM

It's seeming that way. "We lost an All Ireland because McEneaney told us there were to be no quick frees and then he allowed one" bit is staggering really

I certainly don't think this and 99% of the Mayo gaa people I know wouldn't say this. McEneaney did instruct both teams( well I assume he told Meath as well) that he wouldn't be allowing any quick frees but he allowed that free by Geraghty although this happens in every game we were just unlucky that it happened at a crucial time!! It definitely didn't cost us the All Ireland as if you ask most Mayo Gaa folk they will point to the fact that we were 6 points up in the drawn game and couldn't close out the game with our sideline slow to stem the Meath momentum ( any of this sound familiar :'().

I find it unbelievable that a referee would come out and say "I'm not allowing quick frees today lads" to my knowledge only 14m frees are not allowed to be taken quickly. Was it the rule back then that there were to be no quick frees? I was playing underage back then and certainly don't remember that being a thing!

Crete Boom

Quote from: screenexile on September 25, 2014, 02:41:46 PM

I find it unbelievable that a referee would come out and say "I'm not allowing quick frees today lads" to my knowledge only 14m frees are not allowed to be taken quickly. Was it the rule back then that there were to be no quick frees? I was playing underage back then and certainly don't remember that being a thing!

I was playing underage same as yourself Screen and I never came across this paticular directive but yes he definitely said it to the Mayo players ( he had to have said it to Meath also) when outlining before the games what he was going to pay paticular attention to. He probably did mean to be strong on this but just missed one quick free which turned out to be crucial. This could have happened  anywhere else on the pitch and it wouldn't have lead to a goal but those are just the breaks in a game , sometimes the go your way and sometimes they don't!!

Jinxy

If you were any use you'd be playing.

macdanger2

Quote from: Tubberman on September 25, 2014, 01:42:51 PM
Quote from: Nihilist on September 25, 2014, 01:24:49 PM
Quote from: Shrewdness on September 25, 2014, 01:20:27 PM
There's obviously a lot of anger and annoyance on these pages at the direction this issue took after Horan stepped down.. As an outsider looking in and trying to wade through the various opinions, can someone answer this for me?...Is the widespread annoyance because of the ''process'' that saw Connelly/ Holmes appointed, or is it specifically because Connelly/ Holmes got the job at all??

Process for me.
No one really knows all reasons McStay didn't get the job. Too radical, had to have Liam McHale which some players may not have responded well to, too much of a public media figure...list is endless.

Completely process for me - just so amateurish and sloppy.
I'm still unsure which pairing I'd prefer, but I was probably leaning towards Connelly and Holmes. The reason I wouldn't be too keen on McStay & McHale is almost entirely because of McHale. I don't trust him to keep his mouth shut, he seems to have poor judgement about when to speak and what he should say. 
That was reinforced when he was on Newstalk on Monday evening saying he would never be involved in Mayo football again.

100% the process

I wouldn't have a problem with either management team

Crete Boom

Quote from: Jinxy on September 25, 2014, 03:15:06 PM
So this is all Pat McAneany's fault...

No it's Sean Boylan and John McDermott's fault for smugling onto the pitch the basketball ( surely this broke the foreign games Croke park rule!!) which McHale then threw at Mcdermott's block head resulting in Pat sending him off. This resulted in Maughan having to come back and manage us a second time to try and land Sam , dropping David Brady for  the 2004 final which in turn caused the controversy that launched DB's media career!!! .

Also the scars of 96 led to Horan trying to bridge the gap that a celtic cross would have filled by managing Mayo who rolled over for Donegal in 2012 and the era of the puke football final was born!!!!! Horan's failure forced our normally honest , upright , composed , shrewd , intelligent and business like board into a couple of rash decisions that has undone all the great work done by these men in keeping Mayo football alive [see the McHale Park stand ( who needs the f**king the Nou Camp!!) for the monument to such trojan work!!] to be banished forever dragging down a management team (akin to having both Eamon Fitzmaurice and Jim the Messiah on the sideline) down with them!!!!

Not to mention they passed over our own Mickey Hart aka Kevin "fools cap notepad and chew me pen" McStay as well!!!!

Time for Meath to apologise to the GAA as a whole , disband as a county and take up cricket. It is the Manly thing to do from the county that gifted us manliness!!!

Jinxy

If you were any use you'd be playing.

Lar Naparka

Quote from: screenexile on September 25, 2014, 02:41:46 PM

Well, some Mayo players said he visited both dressing rooms before the game to talk to the players and told them what to expect from him during the game. I think he was explaining his interpretation of some of the rules. Mayo players were definite that he stressed that he would not allow frees to be taken quickly.
Go check it out for yourself.
It's about the 6.25 mark.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Al_-1UbzAUQ
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

IolarCoisCuain

Noel Connelly and Pat Holmes's personal popularity is clouding this issue for some people.

I don't know who's advising them, if anyone, but Connelly and Holmes should step down now and reapply under a new process. Chances are they'll get the job anyway, but by going through the motions everything will be seen to be above board.

If they don't, their entire regime will be under a cloud if Mayo don't win an All-Ireland under their management. Whatever happens - even if the ball is burst by lightning as it's about to go over the bar in the 70th minute of the final - there will be people who will say Connelly and Holmes never would have got the job in the first place if there hadn't been funny business going on.

They ought to do themselves a favour. Step aside now, and reapply when the new process is announced.

This is presuming there will be a new process, of course. There's huffing and puffing going on but my guess is that a big, fat nothing will happen tonight. Sure we're talking about not buying tickets but come next year, how can we stay at home when the team is playing? That loyalty is what makes us and breaks us.

I hope some people see some sense tonight. I'm not optimistic though.

criostlinn

Lads on about Pat Holmes blowing his chance before and f**king up in the club final. Was Liam McHale not Maughans right hand man in his second coming. Where was all his radical thinking that year.

In saying that I think both himself and McStay have shown the last couple of days why the county board were never goin to appoint them. To much to say in the press. Ya can't be criticising them boys in the press. This was the chance to take the power back after the Horan era and two mouthy townies weren't going to f**k that up

Farrandeelin

According to Michael Gallagher, Paddy McNicholas has got a round of applause after his speech! He ain't going anywhere soon it seems.

Not telling anyone what was in McStay's package either, but 'anyone in their right mind' wouldn't have accepted it according to Paddy Mc.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Thy Kingdom Come

You have to laugh at McHale! He gets rebuffed and instead of keeping stum and calling it a bad debt he runs to the Press. Well he probably did not run to them. But he did not turn them away. He could learn a lot from Feeney and Freeman. In old regimes in which McHale was party to, their stories would be novels at this stage. The rule with GAA is that you cannot always say what you think or know to be the truth. You have to know when to talk and when to just say nothing. This was the week for McHale to say nothing. Stand back let it play out and then maybe comment. Instead he has been rash and lost all.