11 (11.1%)
Kevin McStay
50 (50.5%)
A.N. Other
29 (29.3%)

Total Members Voted: 99

moysider

Quote from: heffo on September 18, 2014, 11:19:29 PM
McStay is no longer in the army lads so aside from McHale whats the obstacle?

Looks like the clubs could be 'encouraging' the board to go cheap and cheerful. No serious manager could be asked to accept the job with dumbing down involved, if there is going to be dumbing down involved?

We need to press on but not getting that vibe at all.

bucko

Quote from: moysider on September 18, 2014, 11:44:34 PM

Looks like the clubs could be 'encouraging' the board to go cheap and cheerful. No serious manager could be asked to accept the job with dumbing down involved, if there is going to be dumbing down involved?

Easy to see Horan's frustration with the county board. He looks north and see's Jim McGuinness getting his way in relation to resources, club fixtures etc while here it always seemed to be an effort to get anything done. Dealing with a county board with a massive financial hole on the books with the McHale park redevelopment, you could also question how much money was coming from the main sponsor considering they were in a high profile receivership earlier this year and the clubs self interests must have been problematic at best. Next guy is going to have it even harder on all these fronts. Makes you wonder is there really the desire among the board members and club delegates to do what's really needed and provide the support to get us over the line.

macdanger2

Quote from: bucko on September 19, 2014, 12:02:24 AM

Easy to see Horan's frustration with the county board. He looks north and see's Jim McGuinness getting his way in relation to resources, club fixtures etc while here it always seemed to be an effort to get anything done. Dealing with a county board with a massive financial hole on the books with the McHale park redevelopment, you could also question how much money was coming from the main sponsor considering they were in a high profile receivership earlier this year and the clubs self interests must have been problematic at best. Next guy is going to have it even harder on all these fronts. Makes you wonder is there really the desire among the board members and club delegates to do what's really needed and provide the support to get us over the line.

Tbf, there's more to football in Mayo than just the county team, focusing on the elite to the detriment of the club game will get us nowhere fast. The clubs are being talked about on here as if they're the problem - without the clubs, there is no mayo football!!

Whatever happens, it needs to be agreed upfront, the clubs and county management should know exactly what will happen with championship games and availability of players during the year depending on how far the county teams go.

bucko

Quote from: macdanger2 on September 19, 2014, 12:11:05 AM
Quote from: bucko on September 19, 2014, 12:02:24 AM

Tbf, there's more to football in Mayo than just the county team, focusing on the elite to the detriment of the club game will get us nowhere fast. The clubs are being talked about on here as if they're the problem - without the clubs, there is no mayo football!!

Whatever happens, it needs to be agreed upfront, the clubs and county management should know exactly what will happen with championship games and availability of players during the year depending on how far the county teams go.
Not arguing with the above, point I was trying to make is it appears that management, CB and clubs are always pushing against each other. It would be great if the relevant parties could come to an agreement that benefits everyone, I can't say if such a deal would be possible.

larryin89

What is it, 30 players on the senior panel, why couldnt they just be freed from club games till county team is out?  I dont believe its that big of a deal , mountain out of a mole hill , sure aren't we at semi final stage already, whats the problem exactly?
Walk-in down mchale rd , sun out, summers day , game day . That's all .

macdanger2

Quote from: larryin89 on September 19, 2014, 12:24:09 AM
What is it, 30 players on the senior panel, why couldnt they just be freed from club games till county team is out?  I dont believe its that big of a deal , mountain out of a mole hill , sure aren't we at semi final stage already, whats the problem exactly?

You know we're out now, right?  ;D ;D

bucko

Quote from: larryin89 on September 19, 2014, 12:24:09 AM
Clubs want to play championship matches and have their best players ie county lads in tow. Horan got the intermediate 1/4 finals suspended and also told a number of players not to play in the last round of the group stage (for lack of a better term) of the senior c'ship. Both these events were naturally not well recieved by the clubs  and have obviously made that clear to the CB. CB want to keep clubs on side as clubs sell the county draw tickets which is a fair revenue stream for the CB. Ultimately it's all about the money....

larryin89

What do they do in Kerry? There never seems to be an issue there but then i suppose they seem to have an attitude of county before club rather than the norm of club before county attitude in most counties. 
Walk-in down mchale rd , sun out, summers day , game day . That's all .

Msgr. Horan

Connelly/holmes would probably be the County Boards choice, given the connections and all. Neither choice floats my boat at the moment but McStay just seems to have more potential in my head. It might just be that I am being seduced by the whole TV glitz and glamor thing

macdanger2

Yeah, Holmes / Connelly would probably be the CBs choice. Personally I would prefer McStay especially if he could get a top class backroom team involved - that's not going to be cheap though/

Whoever it is, access to players between club & county should be clearly spelled out so everyone knows where they stand

Any word on what clubs nominated the two candidates?

Tubberman

There'll be a lot of eyes watching to see how Holly/Carra get on this weekend....
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

REDCOL

We are at a crossroads and it is important the County Board make a choice based on Tactical Acumen and Leadership Ability rather than Financial Constraints and Relationship to the Board. Both potential candidates have positives and negatives. I cannot get away from the hand of history, How many Joint Mangers have won All Irelands? How many Managers have failed to win an All Ireland in their first spell and came back to win one in their second spell ? We have tried this policy in the past with John Maughan and John O' Mahony and it would be fair to say it has failed.

Can we learn the lessons from our own history.

Lar Naparka

Quote from: REDCOL on September 19, 2014, 11:51:25 AM
We are at a crossroads and it is important the County Board make a choice based on Tactical Acumen and Leadership Ability rather than Financial Constraints and Relationship to the Board. Both potential candidates have positives and negatives. I cannot get away from the hand of history, How many Joint Mangers have won All Irelands? How many Managers have failed to win an All Ireland in their first spell and came back to win one in their second spell ? We have tried this policy in the past with John Maughan and John O' Mahony and it would be fair to say it has failed.

Can we learn the lessons from our own history.
We are talking about the Mayo County Board so the answer is NO!
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

heffo

McHale is a sticking point with McStay/CB I'm told