Best GAA bet that has come up for you

Started by theticklemister, August 27, 2014, 11:28:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

blewuporstuffed

Quote from: armaghniac on August 28, 2014, 10:33:34 AM
Quote from: haranguerer on August 28, 2014, 10:22:56 AM
Quote from: beer baron on August 28, 2014, 09:09:11 AM
A few years back i spotted a mistake on William Hill where they had both teams to score in an Armagh V Cork game(think it was league) at 5/4,of course they meant both to score goals but that's not how they worded it so it was a no lose situation in my eyes.

They had it like that for a long time, I thought it was a loophole too, but they only ever paid out on both teams scoring goals, I'm pretty sure I quizzed it with them once too.

Bookies have a unique one way bet. If they make a mistake they cancel the bet, if you make a mistake than you lose. No oter business is allowed to operate in such an anti consumer way.

Tyrone at 33/1 in 2008 was a good one for me. There was also one year when one lot had odds for teams to reach the quarter finals and another had odds to reach the quarter finals and their opinion of Mayo differed quite a bit.
I also had tyrone backed that year at 28/1, cant remeber if it was right after that louth game and i didnt get as good of a price or if it was later., either way I had a good year on tyrone that year between that and the dublin win!
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

Jinxy

Best winning bet I ever had was Meath to win the Leinster final in 2010, with Joe Sheridan scoring the winning goal and a fella with a load of coats under his arm chasing the ref off the pitch.

A fiver on at 20/1.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Hound

Quote from: armaghniac on August 28, 2014, 10:33:34 AM

Bookies have a unique one way bet. If they make a mistake they cancel the bet, if you make a mistake than you lose. No oter business is allowed to operate in such an anti consumer way.

Yeah, feckers. I'd built up a nice pot of €700 in my Skybet account over a couple of years. Couple of months ago I noticed they messed up the prices on what had become a 3 horse race after a couple of non-runners had declared. So I divided up my full €700 between the 3 horses, and whichever horse won, I was guaranteed to get €1100 back.

But they ended up cancelling the bets just before the off. Didnt bother me, I was just chancing my arm. But then within a few days "due to my betting patterns" they told me they'd restricted all my future bets (to a max payout of €100 on any bet), removed me from the freebet club they run, and removed me from the best price guarantee on horse races! And wouldnt entertain any discussion on it.

Annoyed me heartily for a while, but thankfully there's plenty of options of where I can spend my money.

Jell 0 Biafra

Dublin to beat Kerry by one-three points at 100/30 in 2011.

Glad I did it too; would've been pretty boring standing on the hill that day otherwise.

Hardy

Quote from: haranguerer on August 28, 2014, 07:59:49 AM
Donegal to win in 2012 @ 16/1, Karl Lacey poty @ 50/1

I remember that and that I had the same two bets (though not a double) but I only got on Donegal after the QF at about 7/1.

The Karl Lacey bet came as a result of a post by ONeill suggesting KL for POTY - not something I would normally bet on, but I thought it was a winner. There's a pint for ONeill on the counter of the Brian Boru since 2012 though the head on it is fairly thin at this stage.

bcarrier

Donegal to win All Ireland and Lacey to be POTY would have been a be a related contingency if doubled ?

My best bet is:

Kerry at 9/1 to win the All Ireland this year.  ;)

Hardy

Quote from: bcarrier on August 28, 2014, 05:37:54 PM
Donegal to win All Ireland and Lacey to be POTY would have been a be a related contingency if doubled ?

My best bet is:

That's true, of course.

Ludraman

when we bet roscommon that was the best

Aaron Boone

I laid Longford against Derry this year, but thankfully noone matched the bet.
I would have lost 110 as Longford won and won just 10 if Derry had won. I thought Derry would win it very handy.

macdanger2

Quote from: Hardy on August 28, 2014, 03:35:20 PM
Quote from: haranguerer on August 28, 2014, 07:59:49 AM
Donegal to win in 2012 @ 16/1, Karl Lacey poty @ 50/1

I remember that and that I had the same two bets (though not a double) but I only got on Donegal after the QF at about 7/1.

The Karl Lacey bet came as a result of a post by ONeill suggesting KL for POTY - not something I would normally bet on, but I thought it was a winner. There's a pint for ONeill on the counter of the Brian Boru since 2012 though the head on it is fairly thin at this stage.

Same here, I put ten on himself & mcfadden @ 16s and 25s after someone mentioned it on here

Had a decent bet on Ladbrokes back in 07 I think where they had a special on Brady starting a championship match for Mayo that year. Was 5/2 or 7/2 I think. They withdrew the bet after a couple of weeks but paid out when he startedthe first match that year!

Minder

Quote from: beer baron on August 28, 2014, 09:09:11 AM
A few years back i spotted a mistake on William Hill where they had both teams to score in an Armagh V Cork game(think it was league) at 5/4,of course they meant both to score goals but that's not how they worded it so it was a no lose situation in my eyes.

I had a nice few bob on and told anyone that'd listen about it and a few pals had very big punts on it. Thankfully both teams scored a goal to save any hassle about the result. One of my friends had a proper big bet on and it was his 1st ever bet wth them and had to wait about 6 months before he got paid out though and can't get a bet on with them since  ;D

Yeah i remember that one, was flagged up on here if i remember correctly
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

Asal Mor

Eddie Brennan at 20/1 for MOTM in 2007 All-Ireland final. Crazy price for the most dangerous forward in the game at that time. Of course, all winnings have been returned to the bookies with interest since.

Don Johnson

Bet365 had an Armagh championship match on the Sunday instead of the Saturday night there last year. Myself and a few of my mates got on at odds of 8/13 I think?

Also remember Ladbrokes making a similar error, having a match in the Armagh championship at 4pm when it threw in at 2pm. I think it could have been Pearse Og? Anyway the best possible result came in, a draw. So myself and a few others got on the draw.

No lose in those scenarios, if they pay you out, withdraw immediately. If they notice the time is wrong, void bet and you get your money back.

Always worth a scan of the times on the website versus the actual throw ins!

I remember the year Donegal won it, a few of us were on Frank McGlynn POTY ta 25/1. Thought he was very unlucky tbf.

bcarrier

Quote from: bcarrier on August 28, 2014, 05:37:54 PM

My best bet is:

:)

Up Donegal

leaveherinsir

Quote from: Shamrock Shore on August 28, 2014, 08:05:55 AM
Had 15k on Longford to beat Derry @ 11/1 this year in Celtic Park.
Half of Derry ( inc the team) had Longford +8 tho

Not  :-\