Best GAA bet that has come up for you

Started by theticklemister, August 27, 2014, 11:28:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

theticklemister

Kerry v Cork all- Ireland final a few years ago. The bet was 10/11 each for first team to kick the ball. I did Cork. Cork had a huge height advantage and easily got possession and kicked the ball. A mighty roar was heard in one side of the bar.

Another one was Waterford footballers when they played London, it was just after the latter beat Fermanagh the week before. game started at 1, but the bookies thought 1.30. Waterford were 8 points up at 1.27pm.

T Fearon

Double draw at odds of around 100/1 on same day in June 1999,Clare V Tipp in hurling and Donegal V Armagh in football.Unfortunately I only had a couple of quid on it though

Lecale2

Loughgiel Shamrocks to win the All Ireland club title in 2012 @ 40/1.

haranguerer

Donegal to win in 2012 @ 16/1, Karl Lacey poty @ 50/1

Shamrock Shore

Had 15k on Longford to beat Derry @ 11/1 this year in Celtic Park.

Not  :-\

Thisonegoesto11

I find in game betting good value. Very common for a team trailing by 3-4 points to turn it around in the second half and of course they will be outsiders at that stage.

You will find little value in backing Dublin. However a H/T bet on them V Laois was far better value at the start. (Dublin 1-4 at halftime but that was still a very good bet opposed to 1-33 or whatever it was at the start )

beer baron

A few years back i spotted a mistake on William Hill where they had both teams to score in an Armagh V Cork game(think it was league) at 5/4,of course they meant both to score goals but that's not how they worded it so it was a no lose situation in my eyes.

I had a nice few bob on and told anyone that'd listen about it and a few pals had very big punts on it. Thankfully both teams scored a goal to save any hassle about the result. One of my friends had a proper big bet on and it was his 1st ever bet wth them and had to wait about 6 months before he got paid out though and can't get a bet on with them since  ;D

blewuporstuffed

Tyrone to beat dublin in 2008 at 3/1.
Tyrone to win the allireland after armagh beat us in the uslter final in 2005. 13/2 seemed a massive price, I stuck 100 quid on it and it covered the few weekends in dublin then for the semi & final!
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

AZOffaly

Can't remember the year, but I had €20 accumulator on all 4 provincial champions. I know it was Armagh in Ulster, and I think Galway, Kerry and Dublin. Not sure about the rest. Came in at combined odds of about 15/1. (I backed them in March)

Milltown Row2

8/1 Naomh Gall to be Nemo Rangers in the All Ireland Club semi final in Portlaois. Local bookie got stung that day lol

Our seniors were camped up in a monastery the night before, mass that morning and training session out on local school pitch. Nemo dandered into the local hotel (had brunch!!) were we were all having a few pints and they looked very blase about the whole thing fecking about with a ball in the car park, laughing and joking, too relaxed for me, I wasn't going to have a bet but the little bit or arrogance that showed that day forced me and a few others to hit the bookies 30 quid (other big hitters had a lot more on) on that, thanks very much!!

Wasn't my biggest win on Gaa games but certainly was the sweetest
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

general_lee

PaddyPower had Mattock Rangers at 10/1 instead of 1/10 about 3 years or so ago in a Louth SFC game.

Not saying how much I put down but the f**kers only won by a point in the end!

beer baron

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on August 28, 2014, 09:35:55 AM

8/1 Naomh Gall to be Nemo Rangers in the All Ireland Club semi final in Portlaois. Local bookie got stung that day lol

Our seniors were camped up in a monastery the night before, mass that morning and training session out on local school pitch. Nemo dandered into the local hotel (had brunch!!) were we were all having a few pints and they looked very blase about the whole thing fecking about with a ball in the car park, laughing and joking, too relaxed for me, I wasn't going to have a bet but the little bit or arrogance that showed that day forced me and a few others to hit the bookies 30 quid (other big hitters had a lot more on) on that, thanks very much!!

Similar thing happened me when i went down to watch Cavan against Cork in Pairc Ui Chaoimh in the qualifiers a few years back,came across the Cork squad and quite a few fans who all knew in their minds the game was a formality and it was only a matter of what they won by.
I said feck it i'll have a few bob on Cavan at 7/1 or 15/2,it'll make it all the sweeter if we beat these boys.

The 1 big difference between yours and mine is the Cork players were right to think it was a formality and  duly went on to beat us by about 20 points pulling up  ;D

Milltown Row2

Quote from: beer baron on August 28, 2014, 10:04:47 AM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on August 28, 2014, 09:35:55 AM

Similar thing happened me when i went down to watch Cavan against Cork in Pairc Ui Chaoimh in the qualifiers a few years back,came across the Cork squad and quite a few fans who all knew in their minds the game was a formality and it was only a matter of what they won by.
I said feck it i'll have a few bob on Cavan at 7/1 or 15/2,it'll make it all the sweeter if we beat these boys.

The 1 big difference between yours and mine is the Cork players were right to think it was a formality and  duly went on to beat us by about 20 points pulling up  ;D

Very good, but at least you went with your gut feeling at the time lol
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

haranguerer

Quote from: beer baron on August 28, 2014, 09:09:11 AM
A few years back i spotted a mistake on William Hill where they had both teams to score in an Armagh V Cork game(think it was league) at 5/4,of course they meant both to score goals but that's not how they worded it so it was a no lose situation in my eyes.

They had it like that for a long time, I thought it was a loophole too, but they only ever paid out on both teams scoring goals, I'm pretty sure I quizzed it with them once too.

armaghniac

Quote from: haranguerer on August 28, 2014, 10:22:56 AM
Quote from: beer baron on August 28, 2014, 09:09:11 AM

They had it like that for a long time, I thought it was a loophole too, but they only ever paid out on both teams scoring goals, I'm pretty sure I quizzed it with them once too.

Bookies have a unique one way bet. If they make a mistake they cancel the bet, if you make a mistake than you lose. No oter business is allowed to operate in such an anti consumer way.

Tyrone at 33/1 in 2008 was a good one for me. There was also one year when one lot had odds for teams to reach the quarter finals and another had odds to reach the quarter finals and their opinion of Mayo differed quite a bit.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B