Kevin Ryan to manage UUJ Hurlers

Started by stronghold, August 21, 2014, 10:48:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stronghold

KEVIN Ryan has  confirmed that he is to manage the University of Ulster Jordanstown hurlers for the coming season.

The Waterford native and current Antrim senior and U-21 manager is due to take up his new position when the new and existing students return next month.

He will already be familiar with many of the players as a result of his inter-county involvement in Ulster and is looking forward to the challenge

"It would be my intention to take the job because there are a lot of the players from both Antrim and Down who are at UUJ at the moment," he said.

"About 17 of the Antrim panel are already involved, there's also a few from Down as well and a couple from a number of the other Ulster counties.

"This is a great opporutnity to do some work with these players during the winter months and basically help their future development as hurlers.

"We have entered the Fitzgibbon Cup – that's a different class of hurling, but the lads can compete at that level for a year or two then it's going to be a massive benefit for the development of hurling not only in Antrim and Down, but also throughout Ulster.

"This is a challenge which I'm really looking forward to, and I suppose the fact that I'm already aware of most of the players who will be arriving at UUJ next month is good."

Ryan has already enjoyed a number of years of involvement with Ulster hurling, having, of course, guided Antrim U-21s to the All-Ireland final last year.

His appointment will be seen as a significant boost for UUJ as their efforts to make a mark on the hurling scene gather pace.

Milltown Row2

None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Rossfan

What's this Hurley stuff doing in the GAA discussion? :'(
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

The GAA

Big change from not fielding and borrowing antrim club jerseys. At last report the hurling club at uuj were heavily in debt and demanding the head of support staff.

Someone's found a few quid somewhere... Antrim county board or the ulster council I presume?

Jeepers Creepers

They'll be sharing a Hyper colour kit with Antrim. Its yellow but when you breath on it , it turns blue. Its the way forward.

stronghold

Quote from: The GAA on August 22, 2014, 03:07:40 PM

Big change from not fielding and borrowing antrim club jerseys. At last report the hurling club at uuj were heavily in debt and demanding the head of support staff.

Someone's found a few quid somewhere... Antrim county board or the ulster council I presume?
GAA
I don't really know where you get this nonsense from. Why do people comment on things they know nothing about.  The hurling club are not in debt and never have been. They are the current Div 2 senior league and fresher champions. You don't become champions by not fielding and the University does not supply kit to any team.  The Freshers did play in club jerseys in the semi final because a set of new jerseys was not ready in time but we're ready the following week for the final. The seniors keep their jerseys after the Ryan Cup and freshers keep their jerseys after the fresher final.

stronghold

Quote from: hardstation on August 22, 2014, 01:33:23 PM
Are ye giving them a set of jerseys this year though?
The hurling club where given two new sets of jerseys last year. The same as the Camogs, ladies and mens footballers for Bank of Ireland
The University does not supply kit for any sport