Mullholland Falls

Started by Collie Brolly, August 21, 2014, 11:01:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syferus

Quote from: INDIANA on August 21, 2014, 10:10:15 PM
Quote from: orangeman on August 21, 2014, 06:32:33 PM
Sleeping giant ?

Nope because they still play u16 football.

Peter Ford was a lot closer to get them playing modern football and he got run out of the job becasue of it.

Their U16s actually play a counter-attacking blanket system..

From the Bunker

Mulholland always seemed to me to be the type of manager who could spot/find a good player. I'd say this had allot to do with his underage success. But has been too tactically naive, which you often get away with at under age but not with the big boys.. He has not left a mess for his successor. Allot of players have been found and blooded. Galway now need to get a Manager with a focus and a plan. They will not become world beaters over night. But with a plan and focus incremental progress can be made.

ck

Are Galway people honestly telling me that they want Kevin Walsh as manager? I can tell yee he's average at best and did a very middlin job with us

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: ck on August 21, 2014, 11:08:03 PM
Are Galway people honestly telling me that they want Kevin Walsh as manager? I can tell yee he's average at best and did a very middlin job with us

County board chairman has already said the next man will be a native. Partially because they probably can't afford to bring in an outsider. That makes it a pretty short list of candidates.

seafoid

Quote from: Syferus on August 21, 2014, 10:19:31 PM
Quote from: INDIANA on August 21, 2014, 10:10:15 PM
Quote from: orangeman on August 21, 2014, 06:32:33 PM
Sleeping giant ?

Nope because they still play u16 football.

Peter Ford was a lot closer to get them playing modern football and he got run out of the job becasue of it.

Their U16s actually play a counter-attacking blanket system..
Would that be more energy efficient than an electric blanket ? 

rodney trotter

Galway has some under age pedigree in fairness to work with, unlike Sligo.
Sligo haven't won a Connacht Minor or u21 title since the 60's?

Walsh didn't do a bad job over all with Sligo imo  . successive promotions , winning both League finals. 2 Connacht final appearnces. few lows like losing to London in Ruislip, though they had a decent outfit last year so not that big of  a shock.

ck

Quote from: rodney trotter on August 21, 2014, 11:43:42 PM

Galway has some under age pedigree in fairness to work with, unlike Sligo.
Sligo haven't won a Connacht Minor or u21 title since the 60's?

Walsh didn't do a bad job over all with Sligo imo  . successive promotions , winning both League finals. 2 Connacht final appearnces. few lows like losing to London in Ruislip, though they had a decent outfit last year so not that big of  a shock.

That may well be the case but a good manager gets the best from what he has. Walsh didn't do that IMO. We may have average players but they were better than that assembled by London!

DuffleKing

You do some manager booting ck. Who's any good?

Syferus

Quote from: DuffleKing on August 22, 2014, 05:30:16 PM

You do some manager booting ck. Who's any good?

To be fair if you ask most Sligo people you'll hear the same.

moysider

Bit of a spooofer I thought. Don t think he had a coaching or tactical bone in his body.

Nowhere near promotion from div.2 this year and little improvement in championship games from 2013 to 2014 v Mayo. They just got more bodies back this year. Well they had to didn t they?

Galway shows that underage success for managers and players is no guarantee of success at senior.

Who s next? Walsh appears damaged by the Sligo gig and Eamonn O Hara laying into him on the tv wouldn t do any good either. What about Padraic Joyce? Seems a bit like a Val Daly character? I wouldn t say he s the most patient or suffer fools gladly? I could see him have half that panel by the throat. Maybe that s what they need.

seafoid

Sligo did really well this year without Walsh as well

rodney trotter

They had a similiar league to last year, and beating a Divison 3 and 4 team in the championship is nothing to shout about.

Syferus

Quote from: seafoid on August 22, 2014, 09:20:45 PM

It equalled Walsh's best ever championship runs with Sligo.

moysider

Quote from: seafoid on August 22, 2014, 09:20:45 PM

I thought Sligo s display v Galway this summer was the worst I ve seen from them since the pre O Hara era. Granted they seemed to improve after and ground out a couple of wins.

seafoid

Quote from: rodney trotter on August 22, 2014, 09:23:58 PM
They had a similiar league to last year, and beating a Divison 3 and 4 team in the championship is nothing to shout about.
You can only beat who is put in front of you and they are not up to the standard of the top 4 but neither is anyone else.
There are so many ways to say your county is not good enough at the moment. Whether it's the manager or the tactics or the conditioning or the experience or the players or the matchups or whatever you are having yourself. 

I think Meath , Armagh , Cavan and Ros are around the same level as Galway so it will be interesting to see who kicks on from there.   
Kildare, Tyrone, Down and  Laois  were very disappointing this year and Monaghan seem to have gone backwards.