Mullholland Falls

Started by Collie Brolly, August 21, 2014, 11:01:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mouview

Feeling Joe was misled (perhaps by the board) as to the quality available to him. Anyone on the ground knew Galway had hardly a player worth talking about in those years.

Syferus

Quote from: mouview on August 21, 2014, 04:41:57 PM
Feeling Joe was misled (perhaps by the board) as to the quality available to him. Anyone on the ground knew Galway had hardly a player worth talking about in those years.

Had a pile of U21 AI winners in the primes of their careers. Joyce was still kicking about too.

Let's not say Big Joe had nothing to work with. With right management that core of U21 winners could have done much more than they ended up doing. Even this year Armstrong showed the maddening flashes of the talent he's had since he was a minor. It's certainly not all the fault of one manager who stayed a total of a single season but let's not beatify Big Joe either. Almost sank in New York, lost to Sligo and eliminated by Wexford. Even by reduced standards that's a pretty bad shift.

Maroon Manc

Quote from: galwayman on August 21, 2014, 03:05:21 PM
QuoteI'm delighted, had thought he'd try and stay on.

My choice is Kevin Walsh based on it been a Galway man.

Hmmm I'm not so sure about that. The Sligo lads on here (one in particular it may have been Seanie I can't quite remember?) were dying to see the back of him down there.
That's obviously not a good portent if he were to take on the Galway job if he wasn't wanted in Sligo.

He did a good job early on, naturally when things start to go wrong and he was from a neighbouring county then its only natural his days were numbered.

Dangleberrys

Quote from: seafoid on August 21, 2014, 02:45:33 PM
I think he did a good job compared to what went on before he took the position.
Big Joe was useless as was O Flaithearta.
The young lads will get bigger and sure Mayo will fall into decline at some stage, as all empires do.
Syf will be cursing Shane Walsh for many years as well.   
He had 3 years and still the panel is primarily based on what Joe and O'Flaith set up, so I don't think 'significant' progress was made, not in the slightest....

Blowitupref

Quote from: Captain Obvious on August 21, 2014, 03:39:50 PM

Joe was only given one year what did Mullholland do in his first year?If the next manager sorts out the Galway defence then real progress will be made.
Galway were knocked out of Connacht at home by Sligo and the AI series by Antrim.
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

seafoid

Quote from: Blowitupref on August 21, 2014, 05:20:34 PM

Joe was only given one year what did Mullholland do in his first year?If the next manager sorts out the Galway defence then real progress will be made.
Galway were knocked out of Connacht at home by Sligo and the AI series by Antrim.
At least they stopped losing to Sligo.
They only lost to Antrim by a point as well  ;)
I think Galway are better set up now than they were 3 years ago.
Come on now Mayo and win the all Ireland and get it over with.

Msgr. Horan

James Horan to lead Galway to Sam next season.
You heard it here first

Blowitupref

Quote from: seafoid on August 21, 2014, 05:24:38 PM
Quote from: Blowitupref on August 21, 2014, 05:20:34 PM

At least they stopped losing to Sligo.
They only lost to Antrim by a point as well  ;)
I think Galway are better set up now than they were 3 years ago.
Come on now Mayo and win the all Ireland and get it over with.
For all the talent available to Galway they should be a division one top eight side at least and after three years of Mullholland it was time for a change.
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

Throw ball

I remember coming back from an Armagh match and stopping for something to eat. I got talking to a journalist and I was saying how I would not like to draw Galway in the next round and he said you need not worry about Galway they have no fight. Have things changed? That would have been about 10 years ago.

rosnarun

Quote from: Throw ball on August 21, 2014, 06:20:42 PM
I remember coming back from an Armagh match and stopping for something to eat. I got talking to a journalist and I was saying how I would not like to draw Galway in the next round and he said you need not worry about Galway they have no fight. Have things changed? That would have been about 10 years ago.
merchant of Doom Breheny hasn't anyway
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

orangeman

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: Dangleberrys on August 21, 2014, 05:19:10 PM
The young lads will get bigger and sure Mayo will fall into decline at some stage, as all empires do.
He had 3 years and still the panel is primarily based on what Joe and O'Flaith set up

That's not correct to be fair. Panel is substantially different now to when those two were in charge.

Plenty of valid reasons to criticise Mulholland but that's not one of them.

seafoid

Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on August 21, 2014, 08:45:52 PM
He had 3 years and still the panel is primarily based on what Joe and O'Flaith set up

That's not correct to be fair. Panel is substantially different now to when those two were in charge.

GALWAY 2011 vs Antrim: A Faherty; K Kelly, F Hanley, J Duane; G Bradshaw, G O'Donnell (0-1), T Fahy; J Bergin, F O Curraoin; G Sice, S Armstrong, C Doherty (0-1); M Meehan (0-2, two frees), P Conroy (0-1), M Hehir (0-3, three frees). Subs: D Cummins for Armstrong (34 mins), T Flynn for Bergin (45 mins), K McGrath for Fahy (46), P Joyce (0-2, one free) for Hehir (60 mins), G Sweeney for Doherty (67mins).

GALWAY 2014 v Dheristan : T Healy; 2 D O'Neill, 3 F Hanley, 4 J Moore; 5 G Bradshaw (0-2), 6 G O'Donnell, 7 P Varley; 8 F O'Curraoin, 9 T Flynn (1-0); 10 M Lundy (1-1), 14 P Conroy (0-1), 23 J O'Brien; 13 M Martin, 11 S Walsh (0-5, three frees), 15 D Cummins.

Substitutes: 22 S Armstrong for D Cummins (half-time), 25 D Comer (0-1) for J O'Brien (half-time), 12 K Kelly for J Moore (48 mins inj), 24 E Hoare for M Martin (56 mins), 20 C Mulryan for P Varley (67 min)

D1 would have been nice but it was more important to get the young lads in the team IMO.

Dangleberrys

Quote from: seafoid on August 21, 2014, 09:15:43 PM
Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on August 21, 2014, 08:45:52 PM

GALWAY 2011 vs Antrim: A Faherty; K Kelly, F Hanley,J Duane; G Bradshaw, G O'Donnell (0-1), T Fahy; J Bergin, F O Curraoin; G Sice, S Armstrong, C Doherty (0-1); M Meehan (0-2, two frees), P Conroy (0-1), M Hehir (0-3, three frees). Subs: D Cummins for Armstrong (34 mins), T Flynn for Bergin (45 mins), K McGrath for Fahy (46), P Joyce (0-2, one free) for Hehir (60 mins), G Sweeney for Doherty (67mins).

GALWAY 2014 v Dheristan : T Healy; 2 D O'Neill, 3 F Hanley, 4 J Moore; 5 G Bradshaw (0-2), 6 G O'Donnell, 7 P Varney; 8 F O'Curraoin, 9 T Flynn (1-0); 10 M Lundy (1-1), 14 P Conroy (0-1), 23 J O'Brien; 13 M Martin, 11 S Walsh (0-5, three frees), 15 D Cummins.

Substitutes: 22 S Armstrong for D Cummins (half-time), 25 D Comer (0-1) for J O'Brien (half-time), 12 K Kelly for J Moore (48 mins inj), 24 E Hoare for M Martin (56 mins), 20 C Mulryan for P Varley (67 min)

D1 would have been nice but it was more important to get the young lads in the team IMO.
Now I said Panel.
So go and highlight names from team and subs, bear in mind that Sice and Duane were on the team for most of this year..... Retired: Joyce/Meehan(sort of)/Bergin

QuoteGALWAY 2011 vs Antrim: A Faherty; K Kelly, F Hanley, J Duane; G Bradshaw, G O'Donnell (0-1), T Fahy; J Bergin, F O Curraoin; G Sice, S Armstrong, C Doherty (0-1); M Meehan (0-2, two frees), P Conroy (0-1), M Hehir (0-3, three frees). Subs: D Cummins for Armstrong (34 mins), T Flynn for Bergin (45 mins), K McGrath for Fahy (46), P Joyce (0-2, one free) for Hehir (60 mins), G Sweeney for Doherty (67mins).

GALWAY 2014 v Dheristan : T Healy; 2 D O'Neill, 3 F Hanley, 4 J Moore(J Duane); 5 G Bradshaw (0-2), 6 G O'Donnell, 7 P Varney(G Sice); 8 F O'Curraoin, 9 T Flynn (1-0); 10 M Lundy (1-1), 14 P Conroy (0-1), 23 J O'Brien; 13 M Martin, 11 S Walsh (0-5, three frees), 15 D Cummins.

Significant improvement?

INDIANA

Quote from: orangeman on August 21, 2014, 06:32:33 PM
Sleeping giant ?

Nope because they still play u16 football.

Peter Ford was a lot closer to get them playing modern football and he got run out of the job becasue of it.