Kilkenny v Tipp

Started by Catscream, August 20, 2014, 07:35:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Asal Mor

That's it cicfada. Kelly's the one trying to apply the rules properly, and his style facilitated the better game.

johnneycool

Quote from: Asal Mor on September 30, 2014, 11:02:18 AM
That's it cicfada. Kelly's the one trying to apply the rules properly, and his style facilitated the better game.

I'd be in general agreement with this although there was a lot to be admired in the defensive blocking, hooking and so on especially by the Kilkenny defence in the replay. They can defend better than anyone without the pulling and dragging which they will engage in if let do.

Quote from: Croí na hÉireann on September 30, 2014, 09:45:09 AM
Quote from: johnneycool on September 29, 2014, 04:33:29 PM
Quote from: Croí na hÉireann on September 29, 2014, 04:15:28 PM
So much for Cody not talking about referees and their decisions. Anyway, his comments are probably designed to ensure that Kelly doesn't ref them again in the near future as his "style" doesn't suit them.

If Kelly was from a traditional hurling county the posse would be running to support him, but as he's from Westmeath he is fed to the wolves.

You can be sure our chairman won't miss this opportunity to get his name out there in defence of Kelly. In this instance I would actually agree with him.

aye,
but he won't carry the same weight in the corridors of power as Frank Murphy say, but then again few do.

seafoid

It's a pity that Power dig on the Tipp back just before the killer goal wasn't picked up . I really don't think there is much between the cats and the chasing pack at this stage.
And it would make you feel better about Henry being sent off last year too.
They always skate very close to the edge.

"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

seafoid

BTW the razzmatazz after the match is a pain in the hole.
It's too in your face triumphalist for the GAA, I think. None of the Tipp people stayed around for it.
Why would you?  Mass borrowing from other sports and cultures.
I wonder who came up with it.

The pitch invasion culture was more like it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9L088BmV4-g

Owenmoresider

Quote from: seafoid on September 30, 2014, 11:35:30 AM
It's too in your face triumphalist for the GAA, I think. None of the Tipp people stayed around for it.

Too true, it's completely unnecessary, as is the blaring out of music etc at every opportunity. McKenna's greasy paws are all over this I should think ,he was glowing about the 'razzmatazz' at the colleges game there a few weeks back and it's clearly what he's trying to achieve here. Sooner he and his ilk are gone the better.

seafoid

Quote from: Owenmoresider on September 30, 2014, 01:10:29 PM
Quote from: seafoid on September 30, 2014, 11:35:30 AM

Too true, it's completely unnecessary, as is the blaring out of music etc at every opportunity. McKenna's greasy paws are all over this I should think ,he was glowing about the 'razzmatazz' at the colleges game there a few weeks back and it's clearly what he's trying to achieve here. Sooner he and his ilk are gone the better.

Yeah.
Outside the pitch the fans all mix together and discuss the match- I think it's really alien to the GAA culture to have all that tinsel
and whatever crap music they play for the lap of the pitch. 

theskull1

+1

All the fecking music pumping does my head in (love cats ffs)

I think its fake as get out and as you say totally alien to real GAA supporters.
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

Croí na hÉireann

Stayed on for the presentation Saturday and was really underwhelmed. Maybe that was due to the underwhelming response from the Kilkenny fans and the near deserted stadium. 10 All Irelands in 15 seasons would dilute any fan's passion I suppose.
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

johnneycool

So much for Cody not talking about referees and their decisions. Anyway, his comments are probably designed to ensure that Kelly doesn't ref them again in the near future as his "style" doesn't suit them.

If Kelly was from a traditional hurling county the posse would be running to support him, but as he's from Westmeath he is fed to the wolves.

You can be sure our chairman won't miss this opportunity to get his name out there in defence of Kelly. In this instance I would actually agree with him.

And here he is;

Form horgan stand.

Westmeath County Board chairman Sean Sheridan says Brian Cody's attack on Lake County referee Barry Kelly was "unwarranted".

The legendary Cats manager aimed an extraordinary verbal volley in Kelly's direction on Sunday relating to his handling of the drawn All-Ireland SHC final three weeks earlier and Sheridan says his fellow countyman deserves an apology:

"I am very disappointed that Brian Cody, a man we and every young lad playing hurling look up to in our county, would say such things," he remarks in The Irish Examiner. "Words can't truly describe how I feel about a man of his profession making those comments.

"Barry Kelly is an outstanding referee. This was his fourth All-Ireland final. I wouldn't tolerate what Brian Cody said and I wish he could think about it and revise his statement. We will be taking it further down the line. It was insulting to Barry Kelly and his family.

"That game is over and done with. Kilkenny won the replay. A man of his calibre, I wouldn't expect that from Brian Cody. I just wonder what he makes of the word 'criminal' because it means a lot of things to me. That was very unwarranted."

johnneycool

Quote from: theskull1 on September 30, 2014, 02:58:00 PM
+1

I think its fake as get out and as you say totally alien to real GAA supporters.

Camogs had music too after their game, think Down were something highly original like 'flower of the county Down' whereas Limerick got 'Zombie' by the Cranberries, always loved that wee ditty from Dolores and the crew.

Croí na hÉireann

Quote from: johnneycool on September 30, 2014, 03:04:17 PM

And here he is;

Form horgan stand.

Westmeath County Board chairman Sean Sheridan says Brian Cody's attack on Lake County referee Barry Kelly was "unwarranted".

The legendary Cats manager aimed an extraordinary verbal volley in Kelly's direction on Sunday relating to his handling of the drawn All-Ireland SHC final three weeks earlier and Sheridan says his fellow countyman deserves an apology:

"I am very disappointed that Brian Cody, a man we and every young lad playing hurling look up to in our county, would say such things," he remarks in The Irish Examiner. "Words can't truly describe how I feel about a man of his profession making those comments.

"Barry Kelly is an outstanding referee. This was his fourth All-Ireland final. I wouldn't tolerate what Brian Cody said and I wish he could think about it and revise his statement. We will be taking it further down the line. It was insulting to Barry Kelly and his family.

"That game is over and done with. Kilkenny won the replay. A man of his calibre, I wouldn't expect that from Brian Cody. I just wonder what he makes of the word 'criminal' because it means a lot of things to me. That was very unwarranted."

Didn't take long in fairness, agree with every word of it. If only we were as swift and thorough with all our affairs...
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

imtommygunn

There really was no need for this from Cody. It is very Alex Ferguson esque. I hope he gets reprimanded from powers that be. Yes maybe Kelly made a mistake or two but there aren't many better refs about.

seafoid

Quote from: johnneycool on September 30, 2014, 03:07:09 PM
Quote from: theskull1 on September 30, 2014, 02:58:00 PM
+1

Camogs had music too after their game, think Down were something highly original like 'flower of the county Down' whereas Limerick got 'Zombie' by the Cranberries, always loved that wee ditty from Dolores and the crew.
No imagination for the cats. They could have had a 3 minute video of highlights of the last 10 all Irelands or something but what they had was so bland.

Catscream

If the great B Kelly is so good at applying the rules why were,

Two fouls outside the box given as penalties  in the first game.
The face mask pull on R Power clearly seen by all not punished .
And if the free given against B Hogan was a foul we would end up with the farcical situation  that has become of football with no flow to any game.

He is anti KK and has been for years,. If Cody doesnt say it as it is then who will. All this anti KK sentiment is the same crap that has been going on for years by counties that are just not good enough. Fair play to the Tipp fans after the game all saying only one team deserved to win while still praising their own as well.

AZOffaly

Catscream, it was obvious that Kilkenny were better on the day. I don't think there's any debate about that, and even then Tipp had their chances. However, I don't think Barry Kelly was chronic the first day, and it doesn't cast Cody in a great light to be going on about it now. I know you can make the point that it's better to do it when you've won, and can't be accused of sour grapes, but it still comes off very badly.
Barry Kelly got some stuff wrong last time out, but he got a lot of stuff right too. Brian Gavin got some stuff wrong this time out, but he got a lot right as well.

The point that neutrals, and even slightly Tipp biased lads like myself, are making is that different refs have different styles, and Brian Gavin has a style which suits the Kilkenny approach, which is a physical approach. I've already said I have no issue with that approach per se, but giving out about Kelly because he probably has the more correct 'letter of the law' approach in general (notwithstanding the errors you've referred to) is unnecessary.

Kilkenny are brilliant, and a pleasure to have seen this past 14 years, but they are not whiter than white. If they were, they'd have won nothing.

(By the way, Paddy Stapleton, James Barry, Paudie Maher are all well able to leave in a hurley or a stray arm themselves, and this was also let go by Gavin).