Kilkenny v Tipp

Started by Catscream, August 20, 2014, 07:35:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NAG1

Quote from: orangeman on September 29, 2014, 11:44:06 AM
Cody not pulling any punches in this interview. He's his own man, that's for sure.

http://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/gaa/cody-puts-referee-kelly-and-former-kilkenny-greats-in-his-crosshairs-289094.html

This is the kind of thing that puts me Cody, he has just won an All Ireland and instead of being happy with that he uses the time to have a go at a ref. KK play on the borderline of the rules and frequently over it, they are one of the most cynical teams in the country in most aspects of the game.
If you look back to his gripe about HS getting the line from BK, he deserved to get two yellows that day and that's what he got. Time for Cody to grow up a bit and let it go really.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: NAG1 on September 29, 2014, 12:04:37 PM
Cody not pulling any punches in this interview. He's his own man, that's for sure.

http://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/gaa/cody-puts-referee-kelly-and-former-kilkenny-greats-in-his-crosshairs-289094.html

This is the kind of thing that puts me Cody, he has just won an All Ireland and instead of being happy with that he uses the time to have a go at a ref. KK play on the borderline of the rules and frequently over it, they are one of the most cynical teams in the country in most aspects of the game.
If you look back to his gripe about HS getting the line from BK, he deserved to get two yellows that day and that's what he got. Time for Cody to grow up a bit and let it go really.
At this stage he isn't going to lose the bitter streak. Cut from the same cloth as Alex Ferguson in that regard.

NAG1

Quote from: Tony Baloney on September 29, 2014, 01:38:04 PM
Quote from: NAG1 on September 29, 2014, 12:04:37 PM

At this stage he isn't going to lose the bitter streak. Cut from the same cloth as Alex Ferguson in that regard.

I would find it different if he actually had something to be bitter about, he has the best squad in the country available to him almost every year, he bullies most refs and his players more or less get to do what they want on the pitch and somehow its still not enough.

gallsman

In the first half Callanan charged at Pádraig Walsh in identical fashion to Hogan three wells previously and was awarded a free in.

Asal Mor

Quote from: johnneycool on September 29, 2014, 10:56:54 AM
One thing of note, the fine elbow delivered by Richie Power just as the ball was dropping to allow the catch that set up his goal.
He's one cunning, skillful hoor and reminds me of Luis Suarez in that way. His three goals in the finals were all genius. Quick-thinking and incredible skill.

And this goal Aidan Fogarty scored against Cork in the 2010 semi-final probably demonstrates Power's cleverness better than any other. He doesn't touch Donal Og, just flashes his hurl across his line of vision, and Donal Og dropped it for Fogarty to score.

It's at about 1:10 in this video.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=22ubZ-Ov7z8

north_antrim_hound

Quote from: Asal Mor on September 29, 2014, 03:16:00 PM
Quote from: johnneycool on September 29, 2014, 10:56:54 AM
One thing of note, the fine elbow delivered by Richie Power just as the ball was dropping to allow the catch that set up his goal.
He's one cunning, skillful hoor and reminds me of Luis Suarez in that way. His three goals in the finals were all genius. Quick-thinking and incredible skill.

And this goal Aidan Fogarty scored against Cork in the 2010 semi-final probably demonstrates Power's cleverness better than any other. He doesn't touch Donal Og, just flashes his hurl across his line of vision, and Donal Og dropped it for Fogarty to score.

It's at about 1:10 in this video.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=22ubZ-Ov7z8
Imm glad someone else brought powers goal up. Just before the ball came in bergin got an arm in the face allowing a clean catch. I think if really analyse costs view on Barry Kelly it's endorsement of lambasting ant ref that doesn't let kilkenny foul
The kilkenny goalie was getting feirce praise for running out and taking callinans legs from under him
Looked like a penalty to me. Kilkenny coughed up 3 penaltys i two games and thanks to james Nash they weren't punished
Brian Cody is a great manager but his crack at Barry Kelly is uncalled for
There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets

Croí na hÉireann

So much for Cody not talking about referees and their decisions. Anyway, his comments are probably designed to ensure that Kelly doesn't ref them again in the near future as his "style" doesn't suit them.
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

johnneycool

Quote from: Croí na hÉireann on September 29, 2014, 04:15:28 PM
So much for Cody not talking about referees and their decisions. Anyway, his comments are probably designed to ensure that Kelly doesn't ref them again in the near future as his "style" doesn't suit them.

If Kelly was from a traditional hurling county the posse would be running to support him, but as he's from Westmeath he is fed to the wolves.

manfromdelmonte

Gavin let Kilkenny away with a lot.

gallsman

Quote from: manfromdelmonte on September 29, 2014, 08:09:06 PM
Gavin let Kilkenny away with a lot.

Bollocks. He gave Tipp a penalty for absolutely nothing ffs.

Asal Mor

Quote from: gallsman on September 29, 2014, 11:24:05 PM
Bollocks. He gave Tipp a penalty for absolutely nothing ffs.
ithit

I don't think it is bollocks gallsman. Gavin wasn't biased but he let all the spare arm grabs and pulls go, and tapping the arms and shoulders (of the man in possession) with the hurl went unpunished too. It suited Kilkenny as they do that stuff better anyone.

AZOffaly

I think he gave Tipperary quite a lot of dubious frees, but as the lads said, his style is more conducive to Kilkenny's more in your face approach. I don't have a problem with Kilkenny's approach, but it's definitely true that a certain type of ref would give them fits.

Offaly had the same thing with Herbert from Galway. He just interpreted every defensive flick by a defender as a foul, he must have seen it as playing the hurley or possibly a pull across the man. He did it to every team, but Offaly had defenders who made a living on that sort of dispossession and he used to crucify them.

pullhard

I thought the ref had quite a decent game, allowed both plays to push and pull equally. Made a mistake with the penalty, but in the end it didn't have any impact.

Cody is right Kelly had an absolute shocker last day.

"Who knows when it will all end for us in Kilkenny. You can't keep winning the whole time, but we are definitely going to keep trying."

I love this quote from King Henry

Croí na hÉireann

Quote from: johnneycool on September 29, 2014, 04:33:29 PM
Quote from: Croí na hÉireann on September 29, 2014, 04:15:28 PM

If Kelly was from a traditional hurling county the posse would be running to support him, but as he's from Westmeath he is fed to the wolves.

You can be sure our chairman won't miss this opportunity to get his name out there in defence of Kelly. In this instance I would actually agree with him.
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

cicfada

As much as I admire the greatest hurling manager of all time, managing the greatest team of all time , he is out of order with his comments about Barry Kelly. Kelly is one of the few refs actually blowing the whistle for fouls.gavin letting eveything go suited kk very well and they could foul practically with impunity then. Mind you I don't think that michael kavanagh would have done his county any favours with his revelations about how kk play the ref. according to kav on the Sunday game, he said that kk players will wait to see how the ref is blowing up fouling in a game and then play accordingly. Makes sense in a way but the gaa should pull Cody on his comments . They are only designed to influence the choice of refs for kk matches and should not be tolerated. With gavin letting a lot go, it was only natural for both teams to be pulling and dragging with the free hand and in fairness, it was much easier for donal Og with zoom in cameras to be focusing on those type of fouls. Gavin had only a split second to make his decisions on the day!