Previous topic - Next topic

J70

Won't someone think of the children?!!! ;D

"...for the sake of our game!!"  :o

haranguerer

Quote from: ck on August 21, 2014, 10:54:46 AM
Quote from: BluestackBoy on August 21, 2014, 08:51:45 AM
It's hard to satisfy some fellas!!!
Poor oul Paul Grimley won't talk to the media & gets landed on from a height, Jim McGuinness talks to the media & gets landed on from a height.
Damned if you do & damned if you don't.

Personally would rather an interview like this which gets people talking than the usual pre match nonsense " We're taking it one step at a time. That performance won't be good enough against  Antrim...Armagh...Cavan...Clare...Cork"

At the end of the day criticism like this comes down to one thing....begrudgery.

Ah away with yourself Bluestack. If any manager tried to use the media year in year out to play games then I'd be happy to see it exposed. The way Donegal go about their business and the way they play football has won them admirers and enemies in equal measure. For me they have broken no rules but they have raped the game. I hope Dublin hammer them out of site for the sake of the game!

I manage a club minor team here in Sligo. I have brought them to see two teams this year as part of their coaching and development. 1. Dublin and 2. Kerry. I also brought them to see Kerry minors training. These were both positive exercises which will bare fruit. I wouldn't let them near a Donegal game!

I take it back - you were talking shite all along

J70

I know what is needed:

Censorship is the answer here.

Banish McGuinness from the airwaves. And when Donegal players are visible on screen,  put black strips on screen over their players.  Or have them on after the watershed.

We can't let our children be corrupted!

Whitnail

Poor oul Paul Grimley won't talk to the media & gets landed on from a height, Jim McGuinness talks to the media & gets landed on from a height.

Personally would rather an interview like this which gets people talking than the usual pre match nonsense " We're taking it one step at a time. That performance won't be good enough against  Antrim...Armagh...Cavan...Clare...Cork"

At the end of the day criticism like this comes down to one thing....begrudgery.

Ah away with yourself Bluestack. If any manager tried to use the media year in year out to play games then I'd be happy to see it exposed. The way Donegal go about their business and the way they play football has won them admirers and enemies in equal measure. For me they have broken no rules but they have raped the game. I hope Dublin hammer them out of site for the sake of the game!

I manage a club minor team here in Sligo. I have brought them to see two teams this year as part of their coaching and development. 1. Dublin and 2. Kerry. I also brought them to see Kerry minors training. These were both positive exercises which will bare fruit. I wouldn't let them near a Donegal game!

In fairness Kerry haven't been that easy on the eye this year.
They used what looked suspiciously like ( dare I say) a blanket defense against Cork in the Munster final and since the absence of Gooch & a few other skillful lads this year they've been droping men back like its going out of fashion.  It's
just Fitzmaurice cutting his cloth in proportion to what he has. As  players are not comming through to the same standard I expect they will be even more defensive in the near future.
We have few if any  allrounders in our squad like Lacey who is always fantastic to watch.

Jim has used what he has and developed his own system first and foremost because he's refused to accept Donegal's pecking order in Ulster and whatever you think of the guy personally, you have to admire him for successfully changing that.
Our older "wing it on the day " approach would have seen Michael Murphy prob score 3 times as many points in 4 years but arguably no medals in his back pocket.
We're like any other county waiting for a batch of allrounders to come through who are capable of playing flamboyant champagne football and yet still challenge for all-Irelands but that's hardly the case now.
In fairness a county setup like Sligo have more or less accepted their provincial pecking order and you have to wonder when that will change. Im sure the youth of Sligo also face the same migration ,immigration and unemployment issues as the youth of Donegal but more here are taking up Gaelic football now due to Jim and seeing it as a viable alternative to soccer.

I get you don't like the way we play from an aesthetic point of view and in the first half of games im I usually in total agreement. But we come out after the interval and sometimes play as well as anyone and in the future we might even put two halves of acceptable viewing together like we did against Cork in 2012.

Cant help but think you've been scorned by a few Donegal lasses in the past CK.

BluestackBoy

I note you didn't bring them next nor near Sligo.

Wise decision.
For what shall it profit a man if he gains the whole world & loses his soul.

DuffleKing

That's just balls. Kerry 2014 are every bit as defensive in set up as donegal.

Mcguinness would get some shoeing on here if he played declan osullivan as an additional half back...

J OGorman

Quote from: DuffleKing on August 21, 2014, 07:45:26 PM

Mcguinness would get some shoeing on here if he played declan osullivan as an additional half back...

Sorry, but you have to be pulled up on that. Like most teams,  players will filter back en mass at certain times but to say Kerry are as defensive as Donegal is balls

BluestackBoy

Quote from: J OGorman on August 21, 2014, 08:48:35 PM
Quote from: DuffleKing on August 21, 2014, 07:45:26 PM

Sorry, but you have to be pulled up on that. Like most teams,  players will filter back en mass at certain times but to say Kerry are as defensive as Donegal is balls

It's true to say they are not as good at it as Donegal are but they are heading down that road without doubt, just like Cork.

Duckquay

Quote from: haranguerer on August 21, 2014, 11:44:26 AM

I take it back - you were talking shite all along

+1

Sidney

Jim McGuinness has tonight said that Donegal may have to pull out of the All-Ireland semi-final against Dublin due to the suspected Ebola outbreak in the county. Dublin would obviously get a bye to the final in that case.

More to follow.

INDIANA

Quote from: Whitnail on August 21, 2014, 03:01:26 PM

In fairness Kerry haven't been that easy on the eye this year.
They used what looked suspiciously like ( dare I say) a blanket defense against Cork in the Munster final and since the absence of Gooch & a few other skillful lads this year they've been droping men back like its going out of fashion.  It's
just Fitzmaurice cutting his cloth in proportion to what he has. As  players are not comming through to the same standard I expect they will be even more defensive in the near future.
We have few if any  allrounders in our squad like Lacey who is always fantastic to watch.

Jim has used what he has and developed his own system first and foremost because he's refused to accept Donegal's pecking order in Ulster and whatever you think of the guy personally, you have to admire him for successfully changing that.
Our older "wing it on the day " approach would have seen Michael Murphy prob score 3 times as many points in 4 years but arguably no medals in his back pocket.
We're like any other county waiting for a batch of allrounders to come through who are capable of playing flamboyant champagne football and yet still challenge for all-Irelands but that's hardly the case now.
In fairness a county setup like Sligo have more or less accepted their provincial pecking order and you have to wonder when that will change. Im sure the youth of Sligo also face the same migration ,immigration and unemployment issues as the youth of Donegal but more here are taking up Gaelic football now due to Jim and seeing it as a viable alternative to soccer.

I get you don't like the way we play from an aesthetic point of view and in the first half of games im I usually in total agreement. But we come out after the interval and sometimes play as well as anyone and in the future we might even put two halves of acceptable viewing together like we did against Cork in 2012.

Cant help but think you've been scorned by a few Donegal lasses in the past CK.

Dublin don't play flamboyant champagne football. It just looks that way. Its absolutely in the realms of a carefully grafted system. Very similar and regimented like Donegal. Its just easier on the eye.

What worries me for Donegal is that their minors ape their seniors. That's not good. Those lads are still in their formative years and getting them to play this style of football is inherently bad news for Donegal football.

Whether we like Mc Guinness or not , and I inherently dislike the guy- you have to give him credit for taking a group of footballers and just setting them up to play winning football. He can't be held responsible for the skills his players lack. He just realised you can't teach guys at 27/28 basics that they don't have- he just married the best of what they have with the 2-3 class acts and put together a winning team.

All systems fall out of date.Dublin's current system will be out of date inside 3 years. Donegal's current system is on its knees. When these minors hit the senior ranks will they be capable of adapting to a different system that might involve moving the ball quicker?

Debatable in my view. Even if they won the minor AI this year I wouldn't get excited.

BluestackBoy

Dublin don't play flamboyant champagne football. It just looks that way. Its absolutely in the realms of a carefully grafted system. Very similar and regimented like Donegal. Its just easier on the eye.

What worries me for Donegal is that their minors ape their seniors. That's not good. Those lads are still in their formative years and getting them to play this style of football is inherently bad news for Donegal football.

Whether we like Mc Guinness or not , and I inherently dislike the guy- you have to give him credit for taking a group of footballers and just setting them up to play winning football. He can't be held responsible for the skills his players lack. He just realised you can't teach guys at 27/28 basics that they don't have- he just married the best of what they have with the 2-3 class acts and put together a winning team.

Can't agree with any of this.

1 This is the way club football is played in Donegal, the minors are not being coached to do anything out of the ordinary.
2 When McGuinness took Donegal over virtually none of the present players were in the 27/28 age beacket. Even no most of them are not that age.
3 Only 2/3 class acts? Lacey, McHugh, Murphy, McGee, McGlynn, Durcan & Gallagher are as good as anyone in their respective positions in Ireland. McNiallais, McLoone, McGrath are not far behind them.

All systems fall out of date.Dublin's current system will be out of date inside 3 years. Donegal's current system is on its knees. When these minors hit the senior ranks will they be capable of adapting to a different system that might involve moving the ball quicker?

Debatable in my view. Even if they won the minor AI this year I wouldn't get excited.

BluestackBoy

Moves are afoot to cut funding for GAA coaching in Dublin.

According to a report in the Irish Examiner, the issue was discussed by the National Financial Management Committee at a meeting in Croke Park last Saturday. It was one of a number of controversial proposals relating to finance discussed by officials from all over the country.

Unsurprisingly, the plan to reduce the capital's allocation for coaching was vehemently opposed to by the Dublin representative.

I see the authorities in the GAA are thinking along the same lines as Jim.

Great minds and all that.........

ck

Quote from: BluestackBoy on August 21, 2014, 06:21:15 PM

I note you didn't bring them next nor near Sligo.

Wise decision.

100% agree.

INDIANA

Quote from: BluestackBoy on August 21, 2014, 10:34:32 PM

Can't agree with any of this.

1 This is the way club football is played in Donegal, the minors are not being coached to do anything out of the ordinary.
2 When McGuinness took Donegal over virtually none of the present players were in the 27/28 age beacket. Even no most of them are not that age.
3 Only 2/3 class acts? Lacey, McHugh, Murphy, McGee, McGlynn, Durcan & Gallagher are as good as anyone in their respective positions in Ireland. McNiallais, McLoone, McGrath are not far behind them.

Well we disagree then. Depends on what your definition of class is.

Mine is how's your basics. And there is no way all of those Donegal players are comfortable with all the basics of the game. Neither are all of Dublin's. But they've a stack more then Donegal.

As regards club football-It's a pity that you can't even escape the system in club football.