Donegal v Dublin AISF 31st Aug 2014

Started by StephenC, August 11, 2014, 09:39:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

INDIANA

Quote from: DuffleKing on August 13, 2014, 06:50:39 PM
Quote from: INDIANA on August 13, 2014, 06:48:08 PM
Quote from: screenexile on August 13, 2014, 02:32:52 PM
Can't see anything but a Dublin win. Too many variables for Donegal, Mark McHugh not playing, Lacey injured, Kavanagh not enough game time, McFadden playing absolute pants all year.

Yes the system will stifle Dublin to an extent but I just think the Dubs have too many good footballers this time around. The year the Dubs beat Donegal on the way to win the All Ireland they didn't have the same calibre of player and weren't playing the same type of football as they are now, this years team would beat the Dubs of 3 years ago quite comfortably I'd suggest.

Anyway I think Dubs by about 10!

2011 side versus 2014 side

goalkeeper- same
full back line - two thirds
half back line - two thirds
midfield- half
half forward line - same
full forward line - two thirds

Not a huge difference. And that will give Donegal lots of hope. Donegal can't win playing like 2011 IMO.

To beat Dublin you need a high shot count and a high accuracy rating (greater then 50%). Currently Donegal have neither playing their current system. That's largely down to the players being 3 years older.

If they concede the short kickouts they'll lose. They have to gamble on their own kick-outs as well and kick the ball to midfield and contest and take the risk of leaving themselves exposed at the back. And put a premium on the breaks. They just won't score enough to win the game otherwise.

I think overall we are better then Donegal at the moment. What Donegal lack are an influx of new players. Only really Mc Nicholas has been a find. O Connor will be a really good player as well in time. Minors should provide them with a few- but they need more of that.

It's the only way they can win. Of course, its entirely possible that they just can't win.

Not a hope. They couldn't keep Dublin out in 2011 with a man extra for last 15 minutes of the 70mins. They aren't going to do it 3 years later.

To win they have to gamble early on and get ahead and then try and lock it up as they do in Ulster.

larryin89

''To beat Dublin you need a high shot count and a high accuracy rating (greater then 50%). Currently Donegal have neither playing their current system.''

Jame o Donoghue is on 82% last two games. Kerry has sam in the bag.
Walk-in down mchale rd , sun out, summers day , game day . That's all .

INDIANA

Quote from: larryin89 on August 13, 2014, 06:56:44 PM
''To beat Dublin you need a high shot count and a high accuracy rating (greater then 50%). Currently Donegal have neither playing their current system.''

Jame o Donoghue is on 82% last two games. Kerry has sam in the bag.

Have a few Kerry jerseys at home Larry- little bit old now but I'll send one up to you if Dublin and Kerry progress.

J70

Think Donegal were shooting above 50% prior to the Armagh game. Horrible shot selection and an off - form McFadden drove it down against Armagh. Of course,  Dublin will pressure us like Armagh did, and we will find it difficult to create a lot of chances.

I think we could use a first half goal or two! As Indiana says, this is a game I think we can only win from in front.

yellowcard

Can't see anything but a Dublin win. Too many variables for Donegal, Mark McHugh not playing, Lacey injured, Kavanagh not enough game time, McFadden playing absolute pants all year.

Yes the system will stifle Dublin to an extent but I just think the Dubs have too many good footballers this time around. The year the Dubs beat Donegal on the way to win the All Ireland they didn't have the same calibre of player and weren't playing the same type of football as they are now, this years team would beat the Dubs of 3 years ago quite comfortably I'd suggest.

goalkeeper- same
midfield- half
half forward line - same

Not a huge difference. And that will give Donegal lots of hope. Donegal can't win playing like 2011 IMO.

To beat Dublin you need a high shot count and a high accuracy rating (greater then 50%). Currently Donegal have neither playing their current system. That's largely down to the players being 3 years older.

If they concede the short kickouts they'll lose. They have to gamble on their own kick-outs as well and kick the ball to midfield and contest and take the risk of leaving themselves exposed at the back. And put a premium on the breaks. They just won't score enough to win the game otherwise.

I think overall we are better then Donegal at the moment. What Donegal lack are an influx of new players. Only really Mc Nicholas has been a find. O Connor will be a really good player as well in time. Minors should provide them with a few- but they need more of that.

Do you actually think there is ANY way they can win. If so do you actually believe they have a better chance if they committ more bodies forward? The chances of a Donegal win are slim but the only chance of them winning are to repeat the tactics of 2011 imo.

Saying as you believe that if they concede short kick outs they will lose then conversely do you believe they can win if they push up and force Cluxton to kick long? You more or less seem to be suggesting that Donegal basically play 15 v 15 man to man football and engage in a shoot out with Dublin. If they do that they have absolutely no chance and could be on the end of a 15-20 point defeat. 

BluestackBoy

They have to gamble on their own kick-outs as well and kick the ball to midfield and contest and take the risk of leaving themselves exposed at the back. And put a premium on the breaks. They just won't score enough to win the game otherwise.

There is absolutely no chace of any description that Donegal will risk leaving themselves exposed at the back.

Where they will take encouragement is in the fact that it took Dublin nearly 25 minutes to get their first score from play against Monaghan.
Donegal will reckon that they have a better defence than Monaghan &  will have had far more time to prepare. This is the game that McGuinness had targetted from early on & they should be ready.

No, I think Donegal will believe in their system of playing & try to improve on those areas which were poor against Armagh. They will need a big game from McFadden, better kick outs from Durkan, & better choices when it comes to shooting.

Add in a tatical surprise or two from the meister & it might well yet be an interesting day.
For what shall it profit a man if he gains the whole world & loses his soul.

INDIANA

Quote from: yellowcard on August 14, 2014, 03:06:55 PM

goalkeeper- same
midfield- half
half forward line - same

Do you actually think there is ANY way they can win. If so do you actually believe they have a better chance if they committ more bodies forward? The chances of a Donegal win are slim but the only chance of them winning are to repeat the tactics of 2011 imo.

Saying as you believe that if they concede short kick outs they will lose then conversely do you believe they can win if they push up and force Cluxton to kick long? You more or less seem to be suggesting that Donegal basically play 15 v 15 man to man football and engage in a shoot out with Dublin. If they do that they have absolutely no chance and could be on the end of a 15-20 point defeat.

Dublin wore them down in 2011. They will wear them down again withy a far more athletic team this time round with a few Sherman tanks on the bench. Donegal aren't as athletic as 2012 now.

If donegal don't get ahead early on they will lose in my opinion. Look at how mayo nearly beat Dublin last year. That's the template.
Donegal don't have what Mayo have. Hence why I think they will lose.

imtommygunn

They wore them down once Karl Lacey went off though. I always believed that had a massive bearing on the game.

Maybe they'd have won anyway but that made it a lot easier. That's part of what makes me laugh about all this dublin superteam nonsense etc. If Karl Lacey had stayed on or if one or two things in the final they'd have one AI and this dominance wouldn't be talked about. 2011 it was to the wire that they won. Last year no so much and this year probably not too.

If Donegal go behind they're buggered. Monaghan would have made a better fist of it but for those goals but were always on a hiding to nothing. Donegal always just do enough to win and if anyone were to beat dublin you'd think they'd need to build up as sizeable a lead as possible as dublin hit bursts, particularly late on, where they just pound teams.

How Dublin handle the likes of Frank McGlynn will be interesting. They will more than likely just work with putting boys like him on the back foot I suspect.

J OGorman

does anyone really think this match will be close?

Dublin by the usual bagful. Sitting in a semi-final and no team has got to within 15+ points or something crazy. Class to watch, but it will get very boring with only 1 team in with a realistic chance of the winning the hooering thing. Every conversation Ive had with anyone about this years championship regarding any teams progression, or lack of, always ends with...'sure it doesnt really matter as Dublin will ultimately walk it' or something similar with a few cuss words thrown in

Also, dont be surprised to see one of the McGee brothers being brought to book early for their usual off the ball cr4p (which mind-blowingly usually goes unnoticed)to protect the Dublin forwards

AZOffaly

Quote from: Zulu on August 13, 2014, 02:35:58 PM
Quote from: Hardy on August 13, 2014, 12:44:52 PM
Quote from: Canalman on August 13, 2014, 12:00:02 PM
In fairness I can't see any neutral support for us whatsoever. Faic/nada/ zero .......

That's a pretty comprehensive dismissal of Zulu.

I'll have a gang of non-Dubs there supporting the Dubs so you'll have few neutrals anyway.

Scots don't count.

Zulu

I'm not a Scot, though I can't speak for the nationality of anyone else going. ;D

The Hill is Blue

Elvis is gone but the Dubs live on

Hill 16 - August 21, 1977
I remember Dublin City in the Rare Old Times http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9T7OaDDR7i8

J70

More mind games from McGuinness - apparently Lacey is recovering and will be back in training this week and he will likely have a full squad available!   

Syferus

Quote from: J70 on August 18, 2014, 01:59:13 PM
More mind games from McGuinness - apparently Lacey is recovering and will be back in training this week and he will likely have a full squad available!   

When did Kevin Cassidy come back? Awful big of Jimmy to let by-gones be by-gones.

AZOffaly

Quote from: J70 on August 18, 2014, 01:59:13 PM

Sneaky mind bending hoor.