Cork v Tipp, AI Semi Final, 17/08/2014

Started by CorkMan, August 11, 2014, 07:31:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CorkMan

Can't  wait. I was very confident of a Cork win after Tipp beat Dublin, but as the game gets closer I'm getting less confident. I think Tipp have one very good game in them amd if it comes on Sunday they could beat us. What does everyone on here think?

didlyi

50/50 Game which will take on a life of its own. HIgh scoring, puck of a ball in it in the end and anyone can win it.

Premier Emperor

Seeing Tipp and Cork playing in Croke Park will be odd.
The atmosphere there usually isn't a patch on Munster. The banter beforehand, the walk to the ground, the sense of history and tradition. That's all diluted in Dublin.

Tipp have finally tightened up in the backline and our forwards are motoring nicely.
We ran riot against Galway when the game was up for grabs and beat Dublin in 3rd gear which is why I'm optimistic about Sunday.

AZOffaly

It will be an interesting one. Tipp's great weakness in my opinion is the ball wining of the half forward line, and the dodginess of Paudie Maher at full back. Against Dublin, Paudie was put on a man marking job on Keaney and when Conal went out the field from the start, that suited Paudie down to the ground. I think Daly should have told Keaney to go to the edge of the square. So I'm not sure if they really have sorted it out or not.

I don't know that Cork's half back line is a physically dominating line of the field, so the Tipp forwards might get a bit more joy there, but I don't think Tipp's backs will have seen the speed of the Cork forwards so far.

As I said, interesting, but I think Tipp still have to improve by a good bit in order to win this. Goals win games like this though, and maybe Tipp have more goals in them than cork. Any word on Pa Cronin? He'd be a huge loss for Cork, and I'd nearly go so far as to say the result might hinge on whether he's there or not.

Canalman

Quote from: Premier Emperor on August 15, 2014, 09:40:27 AM
Seeing Tipp and Cork playing in Croke Park will be odd.
The atmosphere there usually isn't a patch on Munster. The banter beforehand, the walk to the ground, the sense of history and tradition. That's all diluted in Dublin.

Tipp have finally tightened up in the backline and our forwards are motoring nicely.
We ran riot against Galway when the game was up for grabs and beat Dublin in 3rd gear which is why I'm optimistic about Sunday.

Maybe so many years ago when Munster hurling was knockout. With backdoor now the atmosphere in MHC has gone down the tubes imo. There will be a great atmosphere in CP .

Fany Tipp to win this one easily and win the AI tbh.

AZOffaly

Why/how 'easily' Canalman? I've seen nothing to suggest Tipp will win easily.

Canalman

Quote from: AZOffaly on August 15, 2014, 12:26:15 PM

Think they have the wind in their sails after the qualifiers and Cork will find it slow to get to the pace of the game after their break. Tipp imo always have the hurlers and I think this year they have the attitude also .

JBM is a brilliant manager but whether that is enough for Cork I have my doubts.

May be proven wrong as usual.

AZOffaly

Tipp always have hurlers, and some of their flicks and running can be devastating, but I think they probably have too many lads that like to stay out, get the flicked ball and score a beautiful point or goal. They don't have enough piano carriers to borrow a phrase from another thread. Bonner is vital to them of course, but Gearoid Ryan hasn't really imposed himself, nor has Noel McGrath. Callanan has had a good year, Corbett is still dangerous but flits in and out of games. Bubbles O'Dwyer may be their best forward actually at the moment.

Lads like Denis Maher are better at winning ball, but their usage can be questionable.

I think Tipp can win it, but I'd be nervous of Cork and their speed if I were Tipp.

johnneycool

Quote from: AZOffaly on August 15, 2014, 12:26:15 PM

I don't get this either, what is there to suggest on current form that Tipp will win easily.

They capitulated to an in your face Limerick, rallied by beating a well off the pace Offaly, seeing off Galway in the latter stages of the game when they'd lost a few of their main men to injury and accounted for what looked like a dis-interested Dublin well enough.

Now they have shown signs of improvement since their first day out in Munster, but in Cork they'll be facing a serious set of forwards will plenty of pace and ball winning ability, plus whilst theres still question marks against the Cork defence, they are indeed a better unit than they were this time last year, Joyce is better suited to the wing and there's no doubt that Ellis will have his work cut out in taking on bonner Maher, but for all the goings on against Dublin, Callinan was pretty subdued by Kelly, and only got a few points when he roamed out a bit, picking up a few scraps, he'll need to get closer to goals than that on Sunday and Cahalane will be stuck to him like shit to a blanket, ditto O'Neill on Lar, who has been playing well enough for Tipp.
There's quite a lot being made of the fact Tipp didn't concede a goal vrs Dublin as some sort of improvement, but Dublin are not renowned for goal getting, whereas Cork are, so we'll see how that improvement works out.

Whilst I still think Tipp have a very good chance to win, but in my mind they'll need an awful lot to go right for them and Cork would have to be favourites to come out on top.

AZOffaly

Cork are 10/11, Tipp are 11/10 with Powers, and that's sort of how I'd see it too. If Cronin is out, I'd nearly go evens the pair.

Premier Emperor

The more I think about, the more I can't see Tipp losing!
11/10 is a great price.

AZOffaly

Quote from: Premier Emperor on August 15, 2014, 02:18:27 PM
The more I think about, the more I can't see Tipp losing!
11/10 is a great price.

If you were a Tipp man saying anything different I'd be very surprised :) It's like the old saying, " A Tipp man with an inferiority complex thinks he's only a bit better than everyone else". :D

CorkMan

Pa Cronin named in the team and if he's namednin the team I'd be 99% sure he's playing, JBM doesn't do "dummy teams".

Personally I'd prefer to see Paudie O'Sullivan start instead but you'd think Pa will cause more problems for Paudie Maher. Having said that I can't see Maher starting full back, probably James Barry will. I think Corks chances revolve around their ability to keep Bonner Maher quiet. This will be Mark Ellis' biggest challenge and if he can do it, I can only see a Cork win.

Looking forward to it anyway, should be a great game. Up the Rebels!

orangeman

Since Cork beat Waterford in the replay I've fancied Cork to make the final. Cork for me to win tomorrow and to beat KK in the final which might be a bold prediction.

theskull1

Ref helping to give Cork that bit of momentum. Tipp forwards don't look as if they have the belief to beat Cork
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera