2014 All Ireland Junior Championship

Started by mylestheslasher, August 10, 2014, 08:52:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rodney trotter

Ciarrai_thuaidh

Quote from: mylestheslasher on August 10, 2014, 09:34:24 PM
Quote from: Ciarrai_thuaidh on August 10, 2014, 04:41:36 PM
Can't understand why more counties don't use it properly as a development tool to be honest. Kerry and Cork have certainly done this to good effect. Dublin and a few other counties have put a decent effort into it at various stages.
I'm sure the Ulster counties could put out very decent teams of Intermediate/Junior players aswell, which would make it a very decent competition.

How do you rate this Kerry team? Cavan are a lot weaker than they were for the Leinster final as a few lads got a run with the seniors.

Quite a strong Junior team Myles..weakened a bit by a couple of injuries and lads gone stateside, but still some quality right throughout the team, especially up front.
"Better to die on your feet,than live on your knees"...

rodney trotter

Kerry (JF v Sligo): Shane Murphy; Fionan Clifford, Kevin O'Dwyer, Danny Wrenn; Greg Gibson, Denis Daly, Gavin Crowley; Andrew Garnett, Brendan O'Sullivan; Brian Crowley, Ciaran Keating, Philip O'Connor; Gavan O'Grady, Paul Kennelly, Thomas Hickey.

O'Grady got 9pts  7 from play against Sligo so an obvious danger man. He was on the UCC team in 2013 beaten by DIT in Sigerson final. I saw on Hoganstand that 5 of the team were u21 this year Shane Murphy,Denis Daly, Gavin Growley, Ciaran Keating and Thomas Hickey so the same pattern of giving younger players a chance as Cavan

mylestheslasher

Final is in Portlaoise, Saturday 23rd August at 2-30pm.

carnaross

Kilkenny were invited to play in the All-Britain Junior with the ultimate winners going into the All-Ireland. This was Kilkenny's second year playing in the competition. Scotland won this year's All-Britain and were beaten by Cavan last Saturday. The All-Britain is an excellent competition as it allows the prospect of playing, not only Kilkenny, but also another Irish county in the All-Ireland.

Just a shame that some counties don't seem to take it seriously with a few games given as walk-overs.
Anyone travelling to Leeds to work/study are welcome to join St. Benedicts Harps GAA in Leeds.

AZOffaly

I was involved with Tipp this year in this competition, and we took it very seriously, albeit within the timelines you have to work with at this level. We thought we had a good chance of at least making a Munster Final, but unfortunately we never really got going in the first game out, and lost to Limerick in the Gaelic Grounds by 3 points. We had some nice footballers, and a good lot of young players, who would be fresh out of minor, or maybe U21s away at college who couldn't commit to the seniors for whatever reason.  We are very clear though, that this is a vehicle to give players exposure to adult county level games at a certain standard, and to keep them 'involved' at Tipperary. We trained side by side with the seniors, had meals and gear etc, just like the seniors and had a fairly professional set up with physios etc. The result on the day went against us, and lessons were learned by ourselves and players, but I suppose that is the whole point of the exercise.

Tipperary cannot advance football by relying on the club scene at the moment, so teams like this are a great way of keeping young lads playing a high enough standard, exposed to county set ups and coaching them in football, and is well worth while for us.

Kerry are  serious outfit by the way, but I expect Cavan to give them socks of it.

johnneycool

Question on eligibility AZ,

Hurling wise I think I read somewhere that Kilkenny intermediates were picked solely from intermediate clubs within the county, but Tipp use the Intermediates more or less like a second string off their senior team, picking from the whole county, is that possible or playing in the previous years senior championship, does it rule you out?

INDIANA

Quote from: johnneycool on August 14, 2014, 12:06:55 PM

Hurling wise I think I read somewhere that Kilkenny intermediates were picked solely from intermediate clubs within the county, but Tipp use the Intermediates more or less like a second string off their senior team, picking from the whole county, is that possible or playing in the previous years senior championship, does it rule you out?

You couldn't play for Dublin if you played club SFC the previous year.

Dublin don't really need it at football but they should enter a team for hurling.

Canalman

Very good for counties that are allowed enter a "B" team into it. Great way imo to keep the alot of the extended training panels all the rage now involved in some sort of competitive football. A competition for the training fodder on these huge panels.

Presume the cost element is the reason some counties don't enter it.

Winning the AI junior football some years ago imo certainly helped a few Dublin players onto AI senior glory in 2011 and 2013. Maybe they wouldn't have made the step up without it.

Know a guy who was on that AI winning junior team and he really cherishes the win/medal.

AZOffaly

Quote from: INDIANA on August 14, 2014, 12:10:38 PM

Dublin don't really need it at football but they should enter a team for hurling.

As far as I am aware there are only 2 rules mandated by Central Council.

1 - You cannot have played senior inter county championship in the current or previous year.
2 - If you won the All Ireland last year, you cannot play any members of your first 15 in this current year.

Some counties themselves then impose limitations such as you can't come from a senior club etc. Kerry and Cork do this, but it's slightly misleading because Divisional sides wouldn't count. Hence quite a few of the South Kerry lads would be playing with the Kerry Juniors.

In Tipp, we treat it as a 'B' team eligibility wise, but in terms of picking, we place a heavy emphasis on the youth and 'future' county seniors.

Donnellys Hollow

I know Kildare were permitted to select players from senior clubs when we reached the All Ireland Junior Final in 2011.

Since then only players who had not played in the Kildare senior club championship in the previous year are eligible for selection.
There's Seán Brady going in, what dya think Seán?

AZOffaly

Quote from: Donnellys Hollow on August 14, 2014, 02:02:25 PM
I know Kildare were permitted to select players from senior clubs when we reached the All Ireland Junior Final in 2011.

Since then only players who had not played in the Kildare senior club championship in the previous year are eligible for selection.

I'd say that's a Kildare rule DH? Unless ye are deemed to be 'too strong' or too robotic at Junior Level :)

INDIANA

Quote from: AZOffaly on August 14, 2014, 01:35:11 PM
Quote from: INDIANA on August 14, 2014, 12:10:38 PM

As far as I am aware there are only 2 rules mandated by Central Council.

1 - You cannot have played senior inter county championship in the current or previous year.
2 - If you won the All Ireland last year, you cannot play any members of your first 15 in this current year.

Some counties themselves then impose limitations such as you can't come from a senior club etc. Kerry and Cork do this, but it's slightly misleading because Divisional sides wouldn't count. Hence quite a few of the South Kerry lads would be playing with the Kerry Juniors.

In Tipp, we treat it as a 'B' team eligibility wise, but in terms of picking, we place a heavy emphasis on the youth and 'future' county seniors.

It's a Dublin rule. It's to give first teams of intermediate and junior clubs a chance to play inter county football.
County board got rid of the team to cut costs. Don't laugh  ;)

AZOffaly

That's shocking. Get onto Don't Matter immediately, and lobby for an extra few grand for the Juniors :D

Donnellys Hollow

Quote from: AZOffaly on August 14, 2014, 02:13:02 PM
Quote from: Donnellys Hollow on August 14, 2014, 02:02:25 PM

I'd say that's a Kildare rule DH? Unless ye are deemed to be 'too strong' or too robotic at Junior Level :)

If I recall correctly the story at the time was that Dublin and Meath objected to Kildare picking players from senior clubs and the Leinster Council changed Kildare's eligibility criteria from 2012 onwards. Of the Kildare starting 15 from the 2011 Final, 13 were from senior clubs. It was effectively a B team to the seniors.
There's Seán Brady going in, what dya think Seán?