Author Topic: Who's your GAA cult hero?  (Read 12176 times)

Taylor

• View Profile
Re: Who's your GAA cult hero?
« Reply #105 on: December 10, 2020, 08:29:31 AM »
Plunkett Donaghy  8)

GetOverTheBar

• View Profile
« Reply #106 on: December 10, 2020, 11:54:07 AM »
Audi Hamilton

Still knocking about the Clarkes yet too.

BennyCake

• View Profile
« Reply #107 on: December 10, 2020, 12:02:04 PM »
Francie.

brokencrossbar1

• View Profile
« Reply #108 on: December 10, 2020, 12:15:04 PM »
Houlie rattling the onion bag especially his 93 run when we played 6 and got to and Ulster Semi and Derry played 5 and won Sam!

Marked him on my championship debut In Ď94. I was a scrawny 18 year old and he made a dummy out of me and I got the curly finger at half time. Didnít forget it and melted him a few months later in the league .... didnít make any difference to the game but I got great satisfaction out of it! 

Fran McMahon and Brian Mullins....loved my hallions round the middle!

BennyCake

• View Profile
« Reply #109 on: December 10, 2020, 12:23:26 PM »
Geoffrey McGonigle and Brian McGilligan were some boyos.

Definitely worth a mention.

seafoid

• View Profile
« Reply #110 on: December 10, 2020, 02:49:20 PM »
Sylvie Linnane. The way they talk about him in Tipperary. That's not easily achieved.
Lookit

tonto1888

• View Profile
« Reply #111 on: December 10, 2020, 05:43:56 PM »
Houlie rattling the onion bag especially his 93 run when we played 6 and got to and Ulster Semi and Derry played 5 and won Sam!

Marked him on my championship debut In Ď94. I was a scrawny 18 year old and he made a dummy out of me and I got the curly finger at half time. Didnít forget it and melted him a few months later in the league .... didnít make any difference to the game but I got great satisfaction out of it! 

Let Fran in Chicago many years ago. He would be friend it with my cousin Kieran McNally over there. Nice guy

brokencrossbar1

• View Profile
« Reply #112 on: December 11, 2020, 11:03:23 AM »

Let Fran in Chicago many years ago. He would be friend it with my cousin Kieran McNally over there. Nice guy

McNally that played with him for Armagh?  I remember watching the likes of those 2, Peter Raff, Stevenson, Joey Donnelly, Noel Marley et al back in the mid 80ís. I have to say maybe itís the eyes of a boy but they always seemed more like Ďmení then county players now. A bit more hewn round the edges, harder in a Ďlifeí harder kinda way. The strength of men who worked as opposed to lifted weights. As I said maybe itís the eyes of a child but the seemed Ďbiggerí.

BennyCake

• View Profile
« Reply #113 on: December 11, 2020, 11:42:54 AM »
Yes I would agree with that bcb1. Those men from the 70ís, 80ís and early 90ís, that you watch growing up, theyíd be maybe a decade or more younger than i am now! Most of the players now most seem like teenagers (a lot are). And I donít think itís just a case of me getting older either.

Same with the soccer too. Followed United, and players like Mark Hughes, Bruce, Schmeichel, Cantona, Robson. They just seemed so much older and mature than players today.

imtommygunn

• View Profile
« Reply #114 on: December 11, 2020, 12:06:14 PM »
If you watch games back the boys from those eras had legs like tree trunks. You don't see that any more (except for Quigley from Fermanagh lol).

Angelo

• View Profile
« Reply #115 on: December 11, 2020, 12:16:03 PM »
If you watch games back the boys from those eras had legs like tree trunks. You don't see that any more (except for Quigley from Fermanagh lol).

What?

The legs of GAA players today are absolutely massive in comparison of those in bygone eras.
GAA FUNDING CHEATS CHEAT US ALL