Are Dublin the best team ever ?

Started by Saffrongael, August 09, 2014, 09:36:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

armaghniac

Quote from: Zulu on August 11, 2014, 06:10:15 PM
Absolutely, but we are only speculating when discussing it so I don't see why we should get hung up on something neither of us can prove. You haven't addressed Tyrone's advantages compared to Fermanagh who are much smaller or Cork who have to deal with hurling? Should we take money off you or force you to play hurling in at least half the county?

There are counties within a reasonable distance of the average, which is most of them, a few that are very small and one elephant.

For small counties, success can come in Div 3 or whatever and Fermanagh could aspire to an Ulster title, with a freetaker they would have had one in 2008. You could have Tommy Murphy Cup. The question of amalgamation is an open one, but this can be left up to the counties concerned, as their amalgamation benefits rather than reduces other counties prospects.

The elephantine county takes from every else.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

rrhf

Are the guys still amateur in dublin?

Armamike

Kerry 75-86 will never be surpassed!
That's just, like your opinion man.

Lar Naparka

Quote from: INDIANA on August 11, 2014, 11:31:44 AM
Quote from: armaghniac on August 11, 2014, 11:22:08 AM
Quote from: Johnnybegood on August 11, 2014, 11:12:19 AM
there isn't a team in Leinster capable of beating them outside Croker anyway so unless you start playing all Ireland semi finals and finals in new bridge your point is no more than a cold water pouring exercise, why don't you just come out and say 'I hate the dubs'

Don't be so immature, there is an issue here and if you cannot come out with a response more useful than implying that those who discuss the issues "hate the Dubs", then you are only confirming the belief that Dubs are trying to distract attention from the issue.

The problems are the competition structures. The provincial championships have to go.

But when Kerry were hockeying teams in Munster for years nobody cared.

Kilkenny hurlers are in the senior, minor , intermediate finals this year. Should they be split in half ?

They have won 5 out of the last 7 all Ireland titles too

What's the difference?

Quite a bit, I would say.

The difference in Kilkenny's case is that the county has only 12 senior and 12 intermediate hurling clubs.  At least such was the case a few years ago when I was talking to a CB member.   
When you compare Kerry to Cork in Munster, you'll find that Cork has far more playing members than Kerry yet Kerry have more than twice the number of Munster titles that Cork have. (76 to 37)
I would argue that neither county should be penalised for excellence. Cork, Tipp, Galway and others  have as many if not more players than Kilkenny and the list of football counties whose resources are greater than Kerry's is a long one.
You can put their success down to sound internal structures or tradition or whatever you think is relevant but the crucial point is that neither county has anything that others can't aspire to.
In Dublin's case, things aren't quite so clear-cut.
While the population of Dublin is increasing rapidly, rural depopulation is a serious issue in many rural counties.
Right now, the Dubs' minors are rated favourites by most pundits for the Tom Markham Cup, the U21s are AI champions and the seniors are going for 3 out of 4.
If this is a portent of things to come, nobody will benefit and that includes Dublin itself.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

The Hill is Blue

I remember Dublin City in the Rare Old Times http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9T7OaDDR7i8

INDIANA

Quote from: Fuzzman on August 11, 2014, 05:08:01 PM
Indi
Some of the money they Ulster teams get from grants and from the GAA of course but you'll find that most is collected from within with huge fundraising going on constantly.

There's not many big companies like AIG, Vodafone or Arnotts coming in offering millions each year. As Dublin is the capital it has the largest population and has RTE as it's hub as well as lots of radio stations and newspapers. Naturally enough then there is more scope for advertising and companies getting more back from using the Dubs for advertising. I'm not saying this is not fair but am saying here is another balance

Likewise there are lots of sports amenities already built in Dublin such as DCU and so there is not the same need for Dublin GAA to go building their own facilities as it's already there for free.

Re my point of watching the games.
How do you feel that you will more than likely retain Sam this year without one interesting exciting game. Is that what you want or would you rather have tough close games where you're heart is thumping in your chest.
Are you happy to be surrounded by Dubs at every match and nobody else to challenge you? Is that not boring for you?
When Kerry were dominating in the 70's where they winning each match by 15+ points?

Yes Squire you can see that when you win but you know as well as me that the Hill puts off more teams that it inspires don't you think?
Have you ever played an away game where the crowd are all shouting at ya? Did it inspire you or put you off?
What do you think of those in the Hill shouting at other Irish men to get the F**K out of their Hill? Is it fair enough?
Teaching their kids this is Dublin only and the rest are sheep sha&&ers

I love living in Dublin and was delighted when they won Sam in 2011 for my now deceased father in law but all I'm asking ye lot is do you agree you have a lot of unfair advantages.

Would ye be happy to play Kerry down in Killarney this year?

Of course it's never gonna happen but I'm making the point that is a HUGE advantage that yis just cant sweep under the carpet as if it's a myth.

Ahh Zulu there you've made it easy for me now
So Croke park isn't your home patch again.
What county is it in?
Where will 70% of the fans be from v Donegal?
Man ye might have made some impression on me with some arguments but jaysus if you can't even admit the Croke park advantage then I won't take you as a "serious balanced poster"
What age are you?
Is this you?

Brick buy yourself 2 more hats
Did you see Donegal v Armagh.
Did you see McFadden struggle again.

On top of that Dublin have been cruising along until now and every game they've 4 or 5 shit hot forwards "chomping" at the bit to get on to show what they can do.
As I said on Sat night. If Dean Rock was from Donegal or even Kerry he'd be an all star by now.

7m sterling? We couldn't afford that. Sorry mate but you're arguments are largely redundant on that basis. You've huge monies behind you. Won 3 all ireland minors in a decade. What more do you want? Jim Gavin to come up and manage the team for you?

I never questioned your right to enjoy 2003-2008. So why are you questioning our right to enjoy our period in the sun?

This is all hyperbole. Tyrone had no issue with playing Dublin in Cp when you could beat us. But no when you can't let's all have a whinge. Poor old Tyrone- never mind that they have to slum it in their 7m STG facility but they also don't want to play in the best stadium because sadly they just aren't good enough anymore.

Dean Rock wouldn't be an All-Star anywhere else either by the way. An excellent footballer but marginally below top class. I've seen him a lot more then you as well.

Its laughable really we're annointed champions for a competition we may not even win just to suit certain agendas out there.

If we don't win it- we're bottlers.

If we do win it- we have an unfair advantage.

Truly laughable arguments. It would be in our interests not to win it this year just so as shut you lot up.

heffo

Quote from: Fuzzman on August 11, 2014, 05:08:01 PM
Indi
Some of the money they Ulster teams get from grants and from the GAA of course but you'll find that most is collected from within with huge fundraising going on constantly.

There's not many big companies like AIG, Vodafone or Arnotts coming in offering millions each year. As Dublin is the capital it has the largest population and has RTE as it's hub as well as lots of radio stations and newspapers. Naturally enough then there is more scope for advertising and companies getting more back from using the Dubs for advertising. I'm not saying this is not fair but am saying here is another balance

Likewise there are lots of sports amenities already built in Dublin such as DCU and so there is not the same need for Dublin GAA to go building their own facilities as it's already there for free.

Re my point of watching the games.
How do you feel that you will more than likely retain Sam this year without one interesting exciting game. Is that what you want or would you rather have tough close games where you're heart is thumping in your chest.
Are you happy to be surrounded by Dubs at every match and nobody else to challenge you? Is that not boring for you?
When Kerry were dominating in the 70's where they winning each match by 15+ points?

Yes Squire you can see that when you win but you know as well as me that the Hill puts off more teams that it inspires don't you think?
Have you ever played an away game where the crowd are all shouting at ya? Did it inspire you or put you off?
What do you think of those in the Hill shouting at other Irish men to get the F**K out of their Hill? Is it fair enough?
Teaching their kids this is Dublin only and the rest are sheep sha&&ers

I love living in Dublin and was delighted when they won Sam in 2011 for my now deceased father in law but all I'm asking ye lot is do you agree you have a lot of unfair advantages.

Would ye be happy to play Kerry down in Killarney this year?

Of course it's never gonna happen but I'm making the point that is a HUGE advantage that yis just cant sweep under the carpet as if it's a myth.

Ahh Zulu there you've made it easy for me now
So Croke park isn't your home patch again.
What county is it in?
Where will 70% of the fans be from v Donegal?
Man ye might have made some impression on me with some arguments but jaysus if you can't even admit the Croke park advantage then I won't take you as a "serious balanced poster"
What age are you?
Is this you?

Brick buy yourself 2 more hats
Did you see Donegal v Armagh.
Did you see McFadden struggle again.

On top of that Dublin have been cruising along until now and every game they've 4 or 5 shit hot forwards "chomping" at the bit to get on to show what they can do.
As I said on Sat night. If Dean Rock was from Donegal or even Kerry he'd be an all star by now.

What about the £120m The Ulster council got from the British tax payer which coincided with the four AI wins from Tyrone & Armagh? I must've missed you shouting from the hills for that to be redistributed down South

INDIANA

Quote from: Lar Naparka on August 11, 2014, 08:08:19 PM
there isn't a team in Leinster capable of beating them outside Croker anyway so unless you start playing all Ireland semi finals and finals in new bridge your point is no more than a cold water pouring exercise, why don't you just come out and say 'I hate the dubs'

Don't be so immature, there is an issue here and if you cannot come out with a response more useful than implying that those who discuss the issues "hate the Dubs", then you are only confirming the belief that Dubs are trying to distract attention from the issue.

The problems are the competition structures. The provincial championships have to go.

Kilkenny hurlers are in the senior, minor , intermediate finals this year. Should they be split in half ?

What's the difference?

The difference in Kilkenny's case is that the county has only 12 senior and 12 intermediate hurling clubs.  At least such was the case a few years ago when I was talking to a CB member.   
When you compare Kerry to Cork in Munster, you'll find that Cork has far more playing members than Kerry yet Kerry have more than twice the number of Munster titles that Cork have. (76 to 37)
I would argue that neither county should be penalised for excellence. Cork, Tipp, Galway and others  have as many if not more players than Kilkenny and the list of football counties whose resources are greater than Kerry's is a long one.
You can put their success down to sound internal structures or tradition or whatever you think is relevant but the crucial point is that neither county has anything that others can't aspire to.
While the population of Dublin is increasing rapidly, rural depopulation is a serious issue in many rural counties.
Right now, the Dubs' minors are rated favourites by most pundits for the Tom Markham Cup, the U21s are AI champions and the seniors are going for 3 out of 4.
If this is a portent of things to come, nobody will benefit and that includes Dublin itself.

Lar let's quit the bullshit. Mayo are the clear favourites for the Minor title as you well know. that's the first point. We're at best joint second and in all reality 3rd.

Population increase means little in regions like Tallaght and Ballyfermot ( populations bigger then  Limerick) where the GAA penetration is the equivalent of rugby in Ballymun. Thats' the second point. There are regions in Dublin where GAA has had to largely admit defeat because soccer is so ingrained in the district.

On Kilkenny they are given a free pass to promote one game and not even attempt to promote the other. Its a massive advantage for them. Every kid in Kilkenny plays hurling. Maybe one in ten in Dublin does. And in some areas its more like one in 25.
However its an example of where proper coaching from a young age without a massive chequebook shows some real results.

The GAA was in a hard place 10 years ago- Dublin came with a plan to boost the GAA penetration in the city. At the time Ireland were in the 2002 WC and BOD had just arrived. What were they supposed to do allow the capital city to become a GAA wasteground to suit the agendas

armaghniac

Quote from: INDIANA on August 11, 2014, 08:37:43 PM

The GAA was in a hard place 10 years ago- Dublin came with a plan to boost the GAA penetration in the city. At the time Ireland were in the 2002 WC and BOD had just arrived. What were they supposed to do allow the capital city to become a GAA wasteground to suit the agendas

As I said before, there should be a plan to increase GAA penetration and the money should be spent. But this expenditure must not be allowed create super clubs or giant counties which distort national competition. Tell me what is wrong with this?
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Farrandeelin

Indiana, Mayo have to play the best minor team to come out of Kerry in 30 years before we can start dreaming of back to back minor titles. Therefore Kerry must be favourites.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Syferus

Quote from: Farrandeelin on August 11, 2014, 09:15:11 PM
Indiana, Mayo have to play the best minor team to come out of Kerry in 30 years before we can start dreaming of back to back minor titles. Therefore Kerry must be favourites.

Pump 'em 'till they burst.

Captain Obvious

Quote from: Lar Naparka on August 11, 2014, 08:08:19 PM

What's the difference?

Lar let's quit the bullshit. Mayo are the clear favourites for the Minor title as you well know. that's the first point. We're at best joint second and in all reality 3rd.

Population increase means little in regions like Tallaght and Ballyfermot ( populations bigger then  Limerick) where the GAA penetration is the equivalent of rugby in Ballymun. Thats' the second point. There are regions in Dublin where GAA has had to largely admit defeat because soccer is so ingrained in the district.

On Kilkenny they are given a free pass to promote one game and not even attempt to promote the other. Its a massive advantage for them. Every kid in Kilkenny plays hurling. Maybe one in ten in Dublin does. And in some areas its more like one in 25.
However its an example of where proper coaching from a young age without a massive chequebook shows some real results.

Minor All Ireland outright odds has Kerry as slight favourites just ahead of Dublin.

INDIANA

Quote from: Farrandeelin on August 11, 2014, 09:15:11 PM

Kerry haven't won an AI Minor since 1994 which renders the 30 year argument a red herring.

Mike Sheehy

Ah , don't mind us. We're shite at minor and Senior.
Better off focusing the discussion on the teams that have a proper chance at winning.

Zulu

Quote from: armaghniac on August 11, 2014, 09:07:25 PM

As I said before, there should be a plan to increase GAA penetration and the money should be spent. But this expenditure must not be allowed create super clubs or giant counties which distort national competition. Tell me what is wrong with this?

Because you can't do it. What do you propose, that Dublin never develop GAA black spots, that they don't coach players to kick off both feet so they don't get too good? We have to try and develop all counties but certain counties will always be stronger due to their size. Dublin are doing everything right so I can't understand why people seem to want to punish them.