armagh's next manager

Started by lawnseed, August 09, 2014, 07:10:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

yellowcard

Quote from: Jinxy on August 11, 2014, 09:58:45 AM
Just take an outfield player and turn him into a goalie.
Kick-outs are much more important than shot-stopping.

I'd agree that kicking the biggest factor in the modern game. Both Cluxton and blanket defences have changed the landscape for goalkeeping and the kick outs formm the vast majority of the skill set required to be a top class goalkeeper. If you could indentify your best accurate kicker of the ball and convince him to play in goals then that would be an ideal situation. In reality it might be harder to convince an outfield player to take up the position. Watching Cluxton live during a game makes every other goalkeeper seem ordinary in comparision, best ever. 

yellowcard

Quote from: INDIANA on August 11, 2014, 10:00:14 AM
Why do Armagh people hate grimley so much ?

I don't think anyone 'hates' him but I would have grave doubts about his tactical nous. His heart is in the right place though and he made less mistakes this year as the year wore on but McGeeneys influence cannot be under estimated in this years set up. I wouldn't be averse to seeing McGeeney and Grimley swap roles if McGeeney was happy to work with Grimley. Just let McGeeney take the job and appoint the men he feels comfortable working with. 

INDIANA

Quote from: yellowcard on August 11, 2014, 11:02:58 AM

I don't think anyone 'hates' him but I would have grave doubts about his tactical nous. His heart is in the right place though and he made less mistakes this year as the year wore on but McGeeneys influence cannot be under estimated in this years set up. I wouldn't be averse to seeing McGeeney and Grimley swap roles if McGeeney was happy to work with Grimley. Just let McGeeney take the job and appoint the men he feels comfortable working with.

I would have said mc geeney is very limited tactically and that Grimley would be well ahead of him in that regard.
Was Grimley not with mc geeney in Kildare in 2010?

Jinxy

Grimley was supposedly the brains of that particular operation at the time.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

lawnseed

Quote from: illdecide on August 11, 2014, 10:47:22 AM

They don't...it's just a few fools that do
Nobody hates the man. But lets look at it. Peter mcdonnell, then agent paddy from down, then grimey wheres our jim mcguinness our brian cody our jim gavin or davy fitz.? We have never had a bad team but we have had poor managers. Im certainly warming to the idea of tony mcentee if hes willing and able coming On board. Peter mc donnell isnt a manager no harm to the man and yet hes named as an assistant manager
A coward dies a thousand deaths a soldier only dies once

yellowcard

Quote from: INDIANA on August 11, 2014, 11:06:35 AM

I would have said mc geeney is very limited tactically and that Grimley would be well ahead of him in that regard.

:o I think any particiular myth that Grimley is tactically astute went out the window after last year and in particular the tactics displayed against Cavan in Breffni Park. He has his own strengths but tactical astuteness would not be one of them.   

lawnseed

Yep. The more I think of it. Geezer and tony.. Sounds good to me. Geezer for heart tony for tactics and cute hoorism. Joint managers    8)

INDIANA

Quote from: yellowcard on August 11, 2014, 11:17:40 AM

:o I think any particiular myth that Grimley is tactically astute went out the window after last year and in particular the tactics displayed against Cavan in Breffni Park. He has his own strengths but tactical astuteness would not be one of them.   

Incorrect in my view . Grimley took a look at the way the game was going and tried to play accordingly.

He admitted defeat and employed a style more at home with the players he had. That's real management in my view.

Mc geeney was on a downward spiral with Kildare when Grimley left and tactically went man to man v Dublin a number of times.

Was Grimley not involved in 2002? He had the media skills of a rhino stuck in a telephone box but has a very astute football brain.

Mc geeney to me us another outstanding footballer and a limited football manager.

Be careful what you wish for. Is tony mac not training brigids in Dublin ?

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: INDIANA on August 11, 2014, 11:22:45 AM

Incorrect in my view . Grimley took a look at the way the game was going and tried to play accordingly.

He admitted defeat and employed a style more at home with the players he had. That's real management in my view.

Mc geeney was on a downward spiral with Kildare when Grimley left and tactically went man to man v Dublin a number of times.

Was Grimley not involved in 2002? He had the media skills of a rhino stuck in a telephone box but has a very astute football brain.

Mc geeney to me us another outstanding footballer and a limited football manager.

Yeah Tony is with the Brigids,  can't see him going into the county set-up,  certainly not as a no 2.  PG in my view has always been a 'no 2' but doesn't have the temperament for no 1,  kinda like Brian Kidd was at Man United.  Good with the players,  good on the training ground and reasonably astute on the sideline.  I wouldn't be surprised to see Aidan O Rourke come into the set up if PG is not there next year.

balladmaker

I wouldn't be so quick to want to get rid of Grimley.  Armagh were a kick of the ball away from an All Ireland Semi Final, if someone had said that in May, they'd have been laughed at.  If there was to be a change, I'd love to see Tony McEntee get his chance, however, I'd have no issues with Geezer either.  I think managing his home county will suit him better than managing Kildare.

But for now, unless Grimley says he's going, I'd change very little .... apart from the kickout's, they were awful!

yellowcard

McGeeney wasn't on a downward spiral with Kildare when Grimley left. He more or less achieved the same results consistently year in year out. Four or five quarter finals and a semi final in his term as manager was a good return considering the players he had at his disposal. He raised the profile of the game in the county and brought team preparation to new levels in Kildare. I'm not 100% sure but I think Grimley had left by the time they got to the AI semi final in 2010 and arguably should have beaten Down to make the final.

There is no evidence to suggest McGeeney is a limited football manager. The only gauge you have is from his time with Kildare and nobody can suggest it was a failure considering the starting point when he took over.

Tony McEntee is with St Brigids but if Armagh wanted him and he was interested I'm sure he would have no problem in leaving in the off season. Unless Dublin clubs have now insisted that their managers sign contracts on taking up new jobs! 

lawnseed

40 mins played carragher off b,mallon on. Carragher scoring clarke not scoring. Clarke stays on?? Tactics? More like preordained notes on a jotter.. No one would thought jamies doing fuk all hes missed every shot hes had take him off put mallon on.. Or put toner on at full forward as target man? Incidently each time we went short on kickouts we scored. Check it out

Donnellys Hollow

Grimley was with McGeeney in Kildare during 2008 and 2009. He left before 2010 when Kildare reached the semi final so it's not accurate to say that McGeeney was on a downward spiral with the team after his departure.

McGeeney does have his tactical limitations and I'm not sure if his attitude towards club football would sit well in Armagh especially if Crossmaglen continue to compete for All Irelands almost every year. However he can unite a panel and get the best out of players. That's half the battle in a lot of counties and can get a team a long way.
There's Seán Brady going in, what dya think Seán?

INDIANA

Quote from: yellowcard on August 11, 2014, 11:32:12 AM

McGeeney wasn't on a downward spiral with Kildare when Grimley left. He more or less achieved the same results consistently year in year out. Four or five quarter finals and a semi final in his term as manager was a good return considering the players he had at his disposal. He raised the profile of the game in the county and brought team preparation to new levels in Kildare. I'm not 100% sure but I think Grimley had left by the time they got to the AI semi final in 2010 and arguably should have beaten Down to make the final.

There is no evidence to suggest McGeeney is a limited football manager. The only gauge you have is from his time with Kildare and nobody can suggest it was a failure considering the starting point when he took over.

Tony McEntee is with St Brigids but if Armagh wanted him and he was interested I'm sure he would have no problem in leaving in the off season. Unless Dublin clubs have now insisted that their managers sign contracts on taking up new jobs!

You won't get Mc Entee if brigids win the county championship which they are well capable of.

Any manager that goes man to man with Dublin with a team resembling body builders rather than greyhounds is very limited tactically in my view.

yellowcard

Quote from: lawnseed on August 11, 2014, 11:34:50 AM
40 mins played carragher off b,mallon on. Carragher scoring clarke not scoring. Clarke stays on?? Tactics? More like preordained notes on a jotter.. No one would thought jamies doing fuk all hes missed every shot hes had take him off put mallon on.. Or put toner on at full forward as target man? Incidently each time we went short on kickouts we scored. Check it out

Maybe you should send in your cv. Take Clarke off before Carragher? Carragher was doing okay but Clarke is one player you don't take off unless he is injured. As for your suggestion to put a defensive midfielder whos strengths are putting in tackles and generally being destructive in at full forward, you cannot be serious.