Bruton says Easter Rising was "unnecessary"

Started by Eamonnca1, August 07, 2014, 08:47:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

muppet

Quote from: macdanger2 on August 08, 2014, 12:02:49 AM
Quote from: magpie seanie on August 07, 2014, 11:47:56 PM

Also - while anyone can put there opinions out there why give John Bruton's views any oxygen? What has he ever achieved? A terrible career of failure in politics notably including almost ending the peace process after the first IRA ceasefire with his hand wringing and pandering to unionism. His judgement is one to be taken with a pinch of salt in my view. A pure bottler of the highest order - you'd never see the likes of him standing for anything if it involved a risk.

I don't necessarily agree with him or think he was the best taoiseach we've had but I'd have preferred him to remain in power than have his successor.....

Bertie or Michael Noonan?
MWWSI 2017

macdanger2

Bbbbbbbbbbbbbbbertie

(apologies to anyone with a Stutter)

magpie seanie

I think he means Bertie and as much as I detest the anorak man I think the peace process clearly puts Ahern ahead of Bruton. God knows how many more people would have been killed in the troubles if Bruton stayed in power for another 10 or so years.

muppet

Quote from: magpie seanie on August 08, 2014, 12:38:56 AM
I think he means Bertie and as much as I detest the anorak man I think the peace process clearly puts Ahern ahead of Bruton. God knows how many more people would have been killed in the troubles if Bruton stayed in power for another 10 or so years.

God when you think about our back catalogue of leaders, it is quite depressing.
MWWSI 2017

magpie seanie

Quote from: muppet on August 08, 2014, 12:40:39 AM
Quote from: magpie seanie on August 08, 2014, 12:38:56 AM

God when you think about our back catalogue of leaders, it is quite depressing.

Very depressing. Not much hope for the future either which is the worst of it.

Mayo Mick

QuoteHi Mick, good to see you're expanding your horizon beyond your wheelhouse of trolling Mayo supporters.

My horizon is considerably expanded and if you spent more time educating yourself and living in the real world you might have views formed on some intelligent basis rather than throwing out soundbites to make you sound grown up.

As for marking other important aspects of Irish History I agree that there are many other important achievements (and failures) that could be better commemorated. However over the years I have been to many lectures, workshops etc on various areas of our history so there is plenty out there if you are interested.

On 1916 it is of course very appropriate that it is now in the limelight as we approach the 100 years anniversary. And while some some questioning of it's necessity is valid it is also a fact that many of the revisionist historians and commentators - Dudley Edwards, Foster, John A Murphy, Myers, Harris etc have very open agendas which calls into question their objectivity. Unfortunately the publicity given to them especially by the Sindo means that impressionable lads like Syferus swallow their take and spew it out thinking it is "cool" and "modern"

Take my advice Syf and go back to extolling your under age teams - something you might know a bit about (or at least not be found out on)
If You Don't Bring Home The Bacon, You'll Get Treated Like A Pig!!

Eamonnca1

ONeill

Quote from: Mayo Mick on August 07, 2014, 11:37:25 PM
Quote from: Syferus on August 07, 2014, 09:56:17 PM
Sure the Irish public detested the Rising at the time. Its importance has always been openly questioned. Well, since Dev's idyllic image of catholic parochial Ireland died sometime in the 1970s and 1980s.

Don't  usually respond to this sort of nonsense but it seems you have read too much of the Sunday Indo and never read a history book in your life. There is no evidence that the rising was either popular or unpopular - there have been a lot of generalisations based on a couple of minor episodes of jeering at the leaders which took place in areas that would have been more unionist/loyalist leaning.

As for questioning its importance most of the questioning has come from revisionists who have an agenda in playing down it's importance and relevance.  Suggest you try and read and understand a bit of history before you pontificate. Spouting opinion on GAA matters is fine but you should confine your ignorance to such matters. Maybe reflect that the 1916 leaders gave their lives for clowns like you.

Would he not have been born?
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Syferus

Quote from: ONeill on August 08, 2014, 01:19:48 AM
Sure the Irish public detested the Rising at the time. Its importance has always been openly questioned. Well, since Dev's idyllic image of catholic parochial Ireland died sometime in the 1970s and 1980s.

Don't  usually respond to this sort of nonsense but it seems you have read too much of the Sunday Indo and never read a history book in your life. There is no evidence that the rising was either popular or unpopular - there have been a lot of generalisations based on a couple of minor episodes of jeering at the leaders which took place in areas that would have been more unionist/loyalist leaning.

As for questioning its importance most of the questioning has come from revisionists who have an agenda in playing down it's importance and relevance.  Suggest you try and read and understand a bit of history before you pontificate. Spouting opinion on GAA matters is fine but you should confine your ignorance to such matters. Maybe reflect that the 1916 leaders gave their lives for clowns like you.

My DOB according to Facebook is 1914, as it happens.

muppet

Quote from: Syferus on August 08, 2014, 01:29:57 AM
Quote from: ONeill on August 08, 2014, 01:19:48 AM

My DOB according to Facebook is 1914, as it happens.

You must be one of Einstein's travelling twins: http://www.einstein-online.info/spotlights/Twins
MWWSI 2017

Jell 0 Biafra

Is there part of the quote missing?  From what I read he's only saying the rising was no more unnecessary than any other conflict:

Therefore if the 1916 Rising was "unnecessary", it was no more "unnecessary" than the Great War or any other conflict of the time."

Eamonnca1

That's not a quote from Bruton, it's a quote from the article. I should have been clearer about that. The article mostly disagrees with him.

Jell 0 Biafra

rrhf

Nally Stand

Quote from: muppet on August 07, 2014, 11:45:06 PM
What is our fascination with the bloody side of things only?

Where is the celebration of Catholic Emancipation?
Where is the celebration of the achievements of the Land League?

Leaving aside opinions on 1916, why do we feel (Britain does this to an absurd degree) the need to celebrate war and conflict and we are inclined to ignore the other successes on the road to (in our case) independence.

By "in our case", I assume you mean in the case of just a part of the nation?
"The island of saints & scholars...and gombeens & fuckin' arselickers" Christy Moore