grub spy

Started by lawnseed, August 06, 2014, 08:52:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Harold Disgracey

Uluru in Armagh has a great kids menu, can get small steaks etc. have not seen this in many other places.

screenexile

Apparo Draperstown is a great spot. Excellent food, excellent service.

Their early bird menu is very reasonable and the food is excellent. The main menu is a bit limited but again very good. Steak is about £18 so slightly pricey but very good.

Only issue is service can be a tad slow at times but definitely a good restaurant!

blewuporstuffed

Quote from: Rois on August 06, 2014, 12:34:26 PM
Quote from: billabong on August 06, 2014, 10:11:57 AM
Had a voucher for the much talked about James Street South in Belfast a couple of months ago. Went with great expectations but was sadly disappointed. Far too over the top fancy for my likings and wished they just got back to basics. Think they prime themselves on their beef and lamb, however the beef that I got was tasteless and had plenty of gristle. Salad for starters wasn't great either. Any others been?

Would give 2*, wouldn't rush back
Went a month ago, I really enjoyed it and love the atmosphere.  Mr Rois's steak was a bit underdone, but everyone else in our party of 6 had a lovely meal.  Will definitely go back.  You may have had a bad meal - I've been four or five times, would be up there in my favourite restaurants.

Went to its 'sister' restaurant Hadski's about a month ago as well and thought it was excellent.
Booked it for the wifes birthday and they really made an effort (even though i dont eevn remember mentioning it was her birthday when i booked it!)with complimentary Cava and a birthday card on the table.
Food was good and the service excellent. You can see the kitchen when sitting at the bar so can watch them prepare the food.
Price was pretty typical for one of the nicer belfast restaurants, not cheap, but not out of the way either. 

4* out of 5*
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

Milltown Row2

In Jordanstown we've Bureau Bar, Lanyon's Restaurant (which is the part upstairs) The food is great, never had a bad meal, priced as much as anywhere else I would go.

Service would not be as quick as some people would be looking, which is fine as it's cooked fresh. and if it were to come to the table quickly I'd be worried.

Also we've a great Indian place beside it as well, Kinara, you can bring your own booze or they sell it also. The food is great
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

take_yer_points

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on August 06, 2014, 02:06:57 PM
In Jordanstown we've Bureau Bar, Lanyon's Restaurant (which is the part upstairs) The food is great, never had a bad meal, priced as much as anywhere else I would go.

Service would not be as quick as some people would be looking, which is fine as it's cooked fresh. and if it were to come to the table quickly I'd be worried.

Also we've a great Indian place beside it as well, Kinara, you can bring your own booze or they sell it also. The food is great

What's the place just down from the bureau? Have been out running that way and there's a restaurant or cafe or something facing out over the water - think there's a gym upstairs?

Milltown Row2

Soso. Bring your own place eaten in it couple times. Standard stuff.
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

southdown

Whistledown in Warrenpoint is top class for everything.

God14

Quote from: screenexile on August 06, 2014, 01:55:35 PM

Their early bird menu is very reasonable and the food is excellent. The main menu is a bit limited but again very good. Steak is about £18 so slightly pricey but very good.

Only issue is service can be a tad slow at times but definitely a good restaurant!

Apparo is indeed excellent. Now that Gardiners in magherafelt is closed id say Apparo is the best restaurant in South Derry IMHO.

Rois

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on August 06, 2014, 03:28:43 PM
Soso. Bring your own place eaten in it couple times. Standard stuff.
Aptly named?

oakleaflad

Quote from: God14 on August 06, 2014, 05:23:11 PM

Apparo is indeed excellent. Now that Gardiners in magherafelt is closed id say Apparo is the best restaurant in South Derry IMHO.
Ate in it once after hearing great reviews but didn't have a good experience at all.
Family meal. My food was ok, others said theirs was good.
Anyway the service was poor enough, air con machine broke and started leaking on someone at our table, the response from staff was to move the chair around slightly and nobody asked about the issue again whilst we were there. Food took far too long. Experience probably wasn't helped by a hen party of around 15 women next to us who had indulged in slightly too much alcohol and became a little rowdy.
Anyway i haven't been back since and am in no rush to. I have heard others say they have had lovely meals in it before and since my experience so i assume that it was a one off.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: Harold Disgracey on August 06, 2014, 01:53:09 PM
Uluru in Armagh has a great kids menu, can get small steaks etc. have not seen this in many other places.
Aye Uluru is good for kids as is Zio in Portadown.

Quote from: AZOffaly on August 06, 2014, 01:51:19 PM
I find most places will do that if you ask them. The Kids menu is normally got that rubbish on it because that's what kids like, but if you ask for a child's portion of the 'roast of the day' or whatever, I find you usually get it.
True enough. The eldest is 10 so less interested in the kids menu. We generally do ask but it can be a hit and miss affair.

glens abu

Quote from: God14 on August 06, 2014, 05:23:11 PM

Have you tried Church St in Magherafelt I think it's as good as there is around.

lawnseed

Cabra castle near kingscourt.
Beautiful grounds to this historic cavan venue. The main entrance leads to a reception and cosy well staffed bar. Just a sunday lunch treat for the lawnseeds and my elderly parents. The good thing about cabra is that its in cavan so sunday weddings and a working kitchen no microwaved saturday night leftovers.. We were shown to an upstairs room and the local girls who work there had us organised quickly. Dad and me ordrered two steaks well done the ladies have pasta and salmon and the kids had stuff off the kids menu.  even though we didnt bother with starters our meals arrived fairly quickly. Jeez the steaks were hanging over the sides of our large oval plates.. Yee hah! Then followed a plethora of sides all very tasty.. Get this I love my grub but this steak was a hill that threatened to beat me.. As I entered the championship quarter I had to come up for air and sweat abit off.. Pops had already caved and just ate steak no sides.. ! A quick juke at the menu and I saw apple crumble and custurd so I surrendered and left some steak behind..  Theres a first time for everything. The apple crumble landed none of your huge plate squiggly sauce bullshiite. Just a mega bowl of beautiful apple crumble and custurd and wee bit of icecream.. Class world class. 25 euro for adult 12 for kids.. Cheap as chips then down to huge sofas in lounge to snooze or watch footy and read complimentary newspaper while kids play wirh huge irish wolfhound outside..

4* imo or 4.5* great spot
A coward dies a thousand deaths a soldier only dies once

blewuporstuffed

Quote from: hardstation on August 07, 2014, 10:47:34 AM
The Irish Republican Felons Club, Falls Road, Belfast.

Who would have thought that having the specky bake of Thomas Clarke peering down on you would be such a magical experience as you tuck into your roast beef. "A dinner like your ma would make" costing as little as £6.95. Staff are delightful, taking time to call you love at every given opportunity as well as throwing in the customary 'wee'. "So you're having the wee bowl of soup, love, and the wee chicken tempura for yourself love? And what about your wee mains? Sorry, give me a wee minute, I'm busting for a wee shite, love."  Customers are treated to songs such as 90 miles from Dublin town, Grace & Roll of Honour, played romantically low. And with pints costing £2.80 and the option of sunning yourself in the beautiful beer garden, watching the hustle and bustle of lower Andytown blow by, it's hard to resist this little gem.

5/5

sounds delightful
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

Jeepers Creepers

Quote from: lawnseed on August 07, 2014, 12:33:50 AM
Cabra castle near kingscourt.
Beautiful grounds to this historic cavan venue. The main entrance leads to a reception and cosy well staffed bar. Just a sunday lunch treat for the lawnseeds and my elderly parents. The good thing about cabra is that its in cavan so sunday weddings and a working kitchen no microwaved saturday night leftovers.. We were shown to an upstairs room and the local girls who work there had us organised quickly. Dad and me ordrered two steaks well done the ladies have pasta and salmon and the kids had stuff off the kids menu.  even though we didnt bother with starters our meals arrived fairly quickly. Jeez the steaks were hanging over the sides of our large oval plates.. Yee hah! Then followed a plethora of sides all very tasty.. Get this I love my grub but this steak was a hill that threatened to beat me.. As I entered the championship quarter I had to come up for air and sweat abit off.. Pops had already caved and just ate steak no sides.. ! A quick juke at the menu and I saw apple crumble and custurd so I surrendered and left some steak behind..  Theres a first time for everything. The apple crumble landed none of your huge plate squiggly sauce bullshiite. Just a mega bowl of beautiful apple crumble and custurd and wee bit of icecream.. Class world class. 25 euro for adult 12 for kids.. Cheap as chips then down to huge sofas in lounge to snooze or watch footy and read complimentary newspaper while kids play wirh huge irish wolfhound outside..

4* imo or 4.5* great spot

Got married there. Top spot.