Maigh Eo v Ciarrai, 1700, 30ú Lúnasa, Gaelic Grounds

Started by macdanger2, August 03, 2014, 10:36:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Champion The Wonder Horse

Quote from: cornafean on September 01, 2014, 05:09:23 PM
Quote from: sans pessimism on September 01, 2014, 04:13:40 PM
That rule was done away with a few years ago,Farr

About 30 years ago, actually.

Who was the first beneficiary of the rule change?

With regards to this year's selection, I reckon Higgins, Flynn, Connolly and  O'Connor have done enough. O'Donoghue, Murphy and McHugh should make up the forward sextet. Moran and Gallagher should be centre-field. Duncan and Lacey will have to have very bad days in the final to miss out. Rest depend on the result of the final, but you could see McHugh positioned at half back.

mylestheslasher

Lot of Mayo people singing the praises of James Horan but did his decisions, or lack of decisions, not cost Mayo the win more than the Referee did. A lot of people were laughing at Grimley in Ulster last year with his naive tactics, for me Horans refusal to make changes in areas where Mayo were getting slaughtered is almost as bad. He must have no faith in any of his sub backs to leave the FB on Donaghy.

Syferus

Quote from: mylestheslasher on September 01, 2014, 09:51:15 PM
Lot of Mayo people singing the praises of James Horan but did his decisions, or lack of decisions, not cost Mayo the win more than the Referee did. A lot of people were laughing at Grimley in Ulster last year with his naive tactics, for me Horans refusal to make changes in areas where Mayo were getting slaughtered is almost as bad. He must have no faith in any of his sub backs to leave the FB on Donaghy.

Midfield mattered a hell of a lot more than Donaghy and his basketball antics. People are over-rating how important he was. It was the sheer supply of balls that even made factor.

It was much more important to win the middle and Mayo utterly failed there and whereas Donaghy winning his battle was understandable, losing the middle was anything but for a team with the best group of midfield players in the country.

Jinxy

Quote from: highorlow on September 01, 2014, 09:11:23 PM
Just read there now that Reilly didn't let aos back on as a blood sub and regarded him as a full sub. He deemed o'connor a blood sub though.

The man shouldn't be let into an agricultural field again never mind a football field.

There's a time limit on blood subs though, isn't there?
Aidan O'Sé was kept off because the medical team were worried about concussion.
He'd stopped bleeding ages before he came back on.
O'Connor came back on a good bit earlier.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

blanketattack

A few boring stats from the Mayo-Kerry tie...
Kerry had 16 different scorers over the 2 games.
11 Kerry players started either their first or second semifinal in the first game, another 3 made their semifinal debut in the replay.
Only one of Kerry's starters from the 2009 final started the replay.

highorlow

Jinxy, I'm just going on what I read on the article in the examiner. Maybe your right but you would presume your county man would have explained it to our sideline?

I can't link the piece as I'm on a phone here. Google it.
They get momentum, they go mad, here they go

Mayo Mick

Take All Stars chat somewhere else and don't distract from Reilly's win. Let there be no doubt but Reilly decided early on that Kerry would win this if it was anyways close. He decided not to send off Enright, he decided to give soft scorable frees to Kerry anytime they  fell behind and allowed them to foul at wil and only give us a free as a last resort. Bannon's column today is the most damming indictment of a ref from a fellow ref that I ever read.

Reilly was not some rookie ref out of his depth and overawed by the occasion. He knew what he was at. Don't know the reason why but he has probably cost us an AI. He also has cost me more than a few bob.
If You Don't Bring Home The Bacon, You'll Get Treated Like A Pig!!

Farrandeelin

Rumour has it that he had, but all we can go by is rumours so I'm saying no more.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Chimley

Quote from: Farrandeelin on September 01, 2014, 10:34:40 PM

Rumour has it that he had, but all we can go by is rumours so I'm saying no more.

Living outside the county means that I miss all of the gossip. Left Limerick very confused about some of our tactics and match ups.

rossiewanderer

To be fair to Mayo the Ref was outrageously bad, The amount of blatant double hops and ground picks that went unpunished for both sides was comical,Allied to the two phantom frees on Donaghy and BJ Keane and the Pen, Mayo were dealt the worst hand by a distance by the gross incompetence of the Ref. I genuinely feel that Reilly went through some form of a breakdown during the game and subsequently lost all control and seemed ready to break into tears at any moment.
                          Interestingly yesterday when it looked like Dublin were all but done near the end The Referee gave some crazy decisions in Dublins favour but to no avail as Donegal were just to good.

I think the lesson in this is that you must be five or six points the better team to be sure of winning.
Tight matches are all to often decided by Referee interpretation or incompetence.

highorlow

Your quiet right mick. Appears that verbals went on between reilly and our line early in 2nd half also which further swayed his bias id say.

Reilly was hardly holding a grudge against jh after his post match comments about the refereeing during the dublin league game? Sad state of affairs if that's the case.

Farrandeelin

Quote from: highorlow on September 01, 2014, 10:49:36 PM
Your quiet right mick. Appears that verbals went on between reilly and our line early in 2nd half also which further swayed his bias id say.

Reilly was hardly holding a grudge against jh after his post match comments about the refereeing during the dublin league game? Sad state of affairs if that's the case.

You never know what he'd have in his (uncovered bald) mind.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

highorlow

blast05

Thats 1 seriously generous sub-editor who put that title on that piece !