Maigh Eo v Ciarrai, 1700, 30ú Lúnasa, Gaelic Grounds

Started by macdanger2, August 03, 2014, 10:36:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jinxy

I dunno if winning a game you should win is a sign of incredible mental strength.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Mayo4Sam

Quote from: Zulu on August 22, 2014, 02:14:05 PM
While I can understand why some think Mayo could beat Kerry comprehensively I don't expect that to happen. The Kerry jersey will give the younger players the confidence to perform (as trite as that sounds) and they still have plenty of quality in their team but if I was to pick a team made up of both squads then I think I'd have Hennelly plus four of the Mayo back six, the 8 and 9's on each team are probably about even and I'd have three of the Mayo forward line for sure. So that's 8-10 Mayo players and with the exception of O'Donoghue I think you could also make an argument for 5 Mayo forwards on a joint team, though some of them wouldn't be any better than the Kerry alternative.

:o :o :o
Excuse me for talking while you're trying to interrupt me

joemamas

Quote from: Jinxy on August 22, 2014, 02:34:49 PM
I dunno if winning a game you should win is a sign of incredible mental strength.

Given the way it unfolded and the backdrop that Mayo were a team that were on the go for four years, they could have collapsed like Donegal last year and an easy excuse would have been that they were a tired team etc.

Keane

A midfield pair of Seamus O'Shea and Donal Vaughan is strong, but probably as overrated as could be since the quarter-final.

Zulu

Quote from: Mayo4Sam on August 22, 2014, 02:38:56 PM
While I can understand why some think Mayo could beat Kerry comprehensively I don't expect that to happen. The Kerry jersey will give the younger players the confidence to perform (as trite as that sounds) and they still have plenty of quality in their team but if I was to pick a team made up of both squads then I think I'd have Hennelly plus four of the Mayo back six, the 8 and 9's on each team are probably about even and I'd have three of the Mayo forward line for sure. So that's 8-10 Mayo players and with the exception of O'Donoghue I think you could also make an argument for 5 Mayo forwards on a joint team, though some of them wouldn't be any better than the Kerry alternative.

You disagree? When SOS and David Moran were in UL together Moran was the star man on the Sigerson team. Although he has had serious injuries since then and SOS has grown into an excellent midfielder I don't think you could say there is a massive difference between a midfield pairing of Maher/Moran and Vaughan/O'Shea.

joemamas

Quote from: Zulu on August 22, 2014, 03:04:16 PM

Unfortunately for him injuries have had a serious impact on Moran's mobility. That was very evident in Q/final

You disagree? When SOS and David Moran were in UL together Moran was the star man on the Sigerson team. Although he has had serious injuries since then and SOS has grown into an excellent midfielder I don't think you could say there is a massive difference between a midfield pairing of Maher/Moran and Vaughan/O'Shea.

larryin89

The middle third isnt just about the 8 and 9 though, i have my doubts Vaughan will line out there anyway but going back to your point , we will murder Kerry around that area and will dictate the game because of this.

Kerry hf line no pace , Mayo hb line pace power pace and more power.

This game will be over after 20 mins.
Walk-in down mchale rd , sun out, summers day , game day . That's all .

joemamas

Quote from: larryin89 on August 22, 2014, 03:08:24 PM
The middle third isnt just about the 8 and 9 though, i have my doubts Vaughan will line out there anyway but going back to your point , we will murder Kerry around that area and will dictate the game because of this.

Kerry hf line no pace , Mayo hb line pace power pace and more power.

This game will be over after 20 mins.

Good man Larry, Is Mayo mick on Holidays ??

muppet

Bold selection, even if I think there will be a change or two before the start.

Vaughan is being groomed for MDMA imho. That tells you how the management views the season panning out. I hope they are right. Looking at the Kerry selection, they could be.

Our season really starts on sunday.
MWWSI 2017

dublin7

Quote from: joemamas on August 22, 2014, 02:15:36 PM
Quote from: thewobbler on August 22, 2014, 11:55:47 AM
This is an intriguing prospect.

While I don't think it'll be a close game, i really don't know how to call it.

Mayo have been a bit dodgy all year, maybe playing at about 60-70% potential. But if they hit 80-90% of last year's form on Sunday, I reckon they'd wipe the floor with Kerry. They're simply a much better team on paper, and if they click, they're dynamite.

At 60-70%, and if Kerry hit a early goal or two, I reckon Horan's stint with Mayo would come to a rather inglorious end, with heads dropping everywhere, discipline going out the window, and a handful of retirements on the final whistle. It's proper sh1t or burst territory for this team now. They can't keep getting their hearts broken and not lose the plot.

Personally I hope it's the former. A confident and feisty Mayo is our only hope for a competitive AI final.

Cannot agree with your second last paragraph, to be honest, I was worried that this could have been the case V Cork, and when Cork were let back into the game and equalized, Mayo did not collapse but in fact showed incredible mental strength to kick on.

Mayo teams in fairness over the last few years haven't had an issue will the mental side of the game(except for all ireland final day)  I expect them to beat Kerry on Sunday as it's only a semi final in August.  For whatever reasons the big name players just haven't done it for them on all ireland final day over the last few years & I don't see how this year will be any different.   

Zulu

Don't agree Mayo have frozen on the big day, they've lost finals to two of the best teams in the country. I'd be shocked if Mayo flop in any game they play in from now on, if they are good enough they'll win the All Ireland, if they aren't they won't.

squire_in_navy_slacks

Quote from: muppet on August 22, 2014, 03:14:08 PM

Vaughan is being groomed for MDMA imho. That tells you how the management views the season panning out. I hope they are right. Looking at the Kerry selection, they could be.

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D Mdma would destroy that pup, Flynn owned him all over the park last year, Cannot wait to see what Mdma would do with him

muppet

Quote from: squire_in_navy_slacks on August 22, 2014, 04:09:28 PM
Quote from: muppet on August 22, 2014, 03:14:08 PM

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D Mdma would destroy that pup, Flynn owned him all over the park last year, Cannot wait to see what Mdma would do with him

Flynn just happens to be the best player in the country. And while he was good, Flynn has played a hell of a lot better than last year's final.

A large part of MDMA is his big engine and his connection with Cluxton. Hence Vaughan.
MWWSI 2017

macdanger2

Quote from: Zulu on August 22, 2014, 03:04:16 PM

Mayo played Kerry when these two were U21. SOS & Parsons destroyed Moran and his MF partner for 45 minutes until Walsh was moved out to MF, Kerry broke even after that and won by a pt I think, possibly after et? Moran has a hell.of a lot to prove on Sunday.

Champ15

Unfortunately for the first time in a long time i will be not attending a Mayo game but i suppose the couch will have to do or maybe a bar stool. On the game it's one i'm cautiously optimistic about it. I say cautiously because it's Kerry and no matter what 15 players they line out with they are extremely talented. People say they're in a transition period which i agree with but on the day, with their tradition and skill level they have just a good of a chance as we do. It's a game that's too close to call given the team news in the last 24 hours i would slightly favour us but something tells me the teams that are named wont be the teams that start the game. More often than not games are decided in the 3rd quarter but i see this one coming down to who has it in them in the last 10 minutes with impact subs playing a key role. I'm hoping like every other Mayo supporter that its our "middle 8" that decides the result of the tie as its the key area in stopping the platform for Kerry attacks and putting us on the front foot where we can get a decent spread of scores. Heres hoping we're still alive and kicking in the championship sunday night!
Ballina Stephenites
All Ireland Champions 2005