The Milk Cup?

Started by Farrandeelin, August 01, 2014, 09:12:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RealSpiritof98

My initial post was aimed at the BBC and their lopsided coverage. I know a few of the lads on the Armagh team that beat and English league team and i wanted to see the highlights. I was pissed off that the only junior side they showed was Newco, i understand there is a big following here but surely they should be showing the local lads.

On an aside its good to see the highlights were actually on the main bbc sport website and not just the local page, however i feel it a testament of how far the BBC has fell behind in their overall sport coverage this past few years.
Just thinking from my youth, they lost; The Derby, The National, The Boat Race, Cheltenham, International Cricket, International Football, by and large little or no live football, losing the Masters, losing the Open Championship. im sure theres many more too.

theskull1

It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

T Fearon

Not too long ago a Dublin team Cherry Orchard met Rangers in one of the finals attracting a capacity crowd of knuckledraggers.Can you imagine the reaction if a Celtic team was playing?

michaelg

And what happened at the final?

David McKeown

Quote from: Keyser soze on July 28, 2015, 04:10:04 PM
Cleverly able to paint itself as a premier competition my ass.

The BBC is furiously flagellating itself about how important a competition it is in order to show how great OWC is, which  shows where their priorities lie.

Anybody that believes that this tournament warrants the coverage given to it by the BBC  needs their head examined. 

If it had to stand on its own two feet it wouldn't exist.

Very few competitions particularly youth competitions would.  Its an excellent tournament which has managed to make the most of itself.  Its very small compared to some other youth football tournaments around the world but yet it can attract some major teams. It also maximises the exposure it can generate.
2022 Allianz League Prediction Competition Winner

T Fearon

Michaelg what happened at the Final? The terraces were reminiscent of Windsor Park in Nivember 1993,only it was a bunch of young Dublin teenagers that were subject to vile sectarian abuse.

johnneycool

Quote from: theskull1 on July 28, 2015, 04:17:57 PM
Quote from: David McKeown on July 28, 2015, 03:24:17 PM
I'm not saying a feile isn't a world event but the milk cup has been cleverly able to paint itself as a premier competition in one of if not the biggest sporting events in the world.

Where there's a will (and a winker  :)) there's a way you mean. Saying its solely down to some master stroke of marketing and PR is being disingenuous.

Two points, the Milk Cup organisers are certainly pushing an open door when it comes to publicity from our friends in BBC NI who do cream themselves about it, no doubt about that, but I think we all know that the GAA is absolutely shit at marketing its product and reliant on their sponsors to do a bit of it. If the GAA have a marketing and media department in Croke Park, then need shot with balls of their own dung.

During the Feile, held in Ulster with thousands of youngsters playing over the weekend from every county and beyond, there was very little of it even in the supposedly Nationalist media outlets, RTÉ and so on, let alone the BBC, UTV and whoever and I blame the GAA. They should be bumming and blowing about their product a bit more, rather than lying back with the 'sure, we've the best sports in the world' nonsense.
Time some of those hoors in Croke park earned their crust.

tyrone girl

My nephew played for the tyrone team in it two years ago. He absolutely loved it. Hes been across the water playing since though so hasnt been back to it.

Keyser soze

Well I suppose it just goes to show that the BBC 'aren't we a great wee country getting the cream of the football world to come to our wee tournament' wankfest has certainly had the desired effect, given the amount of supposed Gaa Heads who are on here listing the merits of this as  a world class event.

Need your heads examined lads.

This is a complete Mickey Mouse event. It's played on public pitches that any U-8 Gaa player would sneer at. If it wasn't in a Unionist area it would never get a mention on the beeb.

general_lee

Quote from: Keyser soze on July 29, 2015, 09:55:30 AM
Well I suppose it just goes to show that the BBC 'aren't we a great wee country getting the cream of the football world to come to our wee tournament' wankfest has certainly had the desired effect, given the amount of supposed Gaa Heads who are on here listing the merits of this as  a world class event.

Need your heads examined lads.

This is a complete Mickey Mouse event. It's played on public pitches that any U-8 Gaa player would sneer at. If it wasn't in a Unionist area it would never get a mention on the beeb.
So a prestigious youth tournament for the world's most popular sport and us Gaels are expected to turn our noses up at it because BBC NI give it too much coverage? Is that right?

Gold

Quote from: tyrone girl on July 29, 2015, 09:55:08 AM
My nephew played for the tyrone team in it two years ago. He absolutely loved it. Hes been across the water playing since though so hasnt been back to it.

Hate that saying!

I think it's a good competition, attracting professional teams from worldwide, so it is a big deal--yeah it receives a lot of local coverage but what else have they to talk about? Rory McElroy constantly? Fermanagh beating Westmeath? TT? I don't begrudge it's coverage at all
"Cheeky Charlie McKenna..."

theskull1

Quote from: general_lee on July 29, 2015, 01:18:10 PM
So a prestigious youth tournament for the world's most popular sport and us Gaels are expected to turn our noses up at it because BBC NI give it too much coverage? Is that right?

In any part of the world where people have more of an active participatory interest in other sports and would like to see those better promoted/supported by the local media/tax payer dollar, would it be wrong of them to do so rather than let global phenomenon sports win funding purely on the basis that its the world most popular sport?

general_lee

Quote from: theskull1 on July 29, 2015, 02:19:20 PM
Quote from: general_lee on July 29, 2015, 01:18:10 PM

In any part of the world where people have more of an active participatory interest in other sports and would like to see those better promoted/supported by the local media/tax payer dollar, would it be wrong of them to do so rather than let global phenomenon sports win funding purely on the basis that its the world most popular sport?
Ok, I change that to "world's most popular sport and also one of Ireland's most popular sports".

theskull1

This isnt a black and white issue GL so stop trying to make it one. No one is saying that the milk cup should or shouldn't be supported and promoted. It absolutely should. The discussion is around how there is a perception of a lack of fairness in regard to exposure and promotion by tax funded bodies. Is it wrong to discuss and try to understand if there any foundation to those perceptions?