100 Years ago today

Started by AZOffaly, July 28, 2014, 11:18:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AZOffaly

The dynamic of the ruling families was interesting too. I know the German and Russian monarchs were cousins, and very friendly, and indeed I the British King was another cousin. First cousins actually. Queen Victoria spawned the lot of them. So really this was probably the last major conflict where royalty had a big role, and where it was all very 'gentlemanly' up to the beginning of the war.

The second world war was a much more 'modern' conflict in how it came about, but if the first world war hadn't ended with Germany being humiliated at Versailles, it's possible the second war may never have happened.

guy crouchback

I read Jeremy Paxmans book ''Great Britain's Great War'' it kind of mixes social history with the political history without ever going into too munch depth on either.  All in All a good read and a good introduction to the topic if don't know too much about it.

LeoMc

29th July: the Germans realise to late that the British will fight if Belgian territory is violated and encourage Austria to pull back and open discussions with Russia but the wheels are in motion.

Rossfan

Is anyone getting a bit fed up of RTÉ's and other 26 Co media almost canonising the Irish people who took part in this immoral war?
Unlike the English, Scots or Welsh the Irish participants were all volunteers who took part on their own initiative for whatever reasons.
I have no bother with people just stating the facts and maybe having local lists of those who died etc. but less of the love in.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

LeoMc

30th July: Russian mobilisation. When the German army mobilised it meant war, there was no standby mode. For the Russians mobilisation was only a precursor, a way of rattling sabres. Even as the Russians mobilised the Emperor was talking to his cousin the Kaiser looking for a diplomatic solution with Austria/Hungary. However once the Russians mobilised the Germans felt the need to do so to and so it began.

AZOffaly

Quote from: Rossfan on July 30, 2014, 10:53:02 AM
Is anyone getting a bit fed up of RTÉ's and other 26 Co media almost canonising the Irish people who took part in this immoral war?
Unlike the English, Scots or Welsh the Irish participants were all volunteers who took part on their own initiative for whatever reasons.
I have no bother with people just stating the facts and maybe having local lists of those who died etc. but less of the love in.

I don't really have a problem with commemorating the men who fought and died int the world wars. I was listening to some music there last night, from the period. Pack up your troubles, a long way to tipperary etc etc. the old scratchy sound is gas, but it struck me (not for the first time) that the propaganda of these songs was so hypocritical. They mentioned the brave lads fighting for 'the rights of small nations' etc. at the same time Britain had an empire that stretched across the globe, and included many small nations, including our own.

LeoMc

31st July: Germany sends ultimatums to St Petersburg & Paris.

Bud Wiser

2nd August. Laois beat Kilkenny 3-2 to 2-4 in the Leinster Hurling Final. Clare won the All-Ireland that year but Laois, cute as ever waited until the following year when everyone was away fighting in the great war and won the All-Ireland. What makes Bud happy is that it was Cork they beat to win their All-Ireland. They never played Cork again in a championship game until 2011 and that used sicken Cork 'cause we used to ask them, who was the team that beat Cork in an All-Ireland that Cork never, ever bate?

However, even though Laois went on to do more for the development of vulcanite false teeth and could take a mans ear off with the precision of a bacon slicer they never won foook all again and today when someone points out one of the Bergins or some other hero of the '15 team in some old faded photo on a wall in a pub, you will often hear "they could have won another five All-Ireland's only for that Hitler bollax and them all having to go off and fight the war"

" Laois ? You can't drink pints of Guinness and talk sh*te in a pub, and play football the next day"

LeoMc

01 Aug: French and German armies mobilised.
Austria / Hungary shell Belgrade from boats on the Danube.

easytiger95

Re the rights of small nations AZ, surely this was not hypocritical as the situations of "poor little Catholic Belgium" were linked by the Irish politicians of the day? Was it not sold to Redmond by Asquith, and then by Redmond to the Volunteers, that if they aided in Belgium's struggle for freedom, our own freedom, as in Home Rule, would be guaranteed at the conclusion of the war? The hypocrisy resided in the highest levels at Whitehall, but I'd say the normal Irish and British Tommy could well profess to have acted in the interests of small nations.

Except ones populated by black or brown people. They didn't count.

Lecale2

Quote from: Bud Wiser on July 31, 2014, 08:20:27 PM
2nd August. Laois beat Kilkenny 3-2 to 2-4 in the Leinster Hurling Final. Clare won the All-Ireland that year but Laois, cute as ever waited until the following year when everyone was away fighting in the great war and won the All-Ireland. What makes Bud happy is that it was Cork they beat to win their All-Ireland. They never played Cork again in a championship game until 2011 and that used sicken Cork 'cause we used to ask them, who was the team that beat Cork in an All-Ireland that Cork never, ever bate?

However, even though Laois went on to do more for the development of vulcanite false teeth and could take a mans ear off with the precision of a bacon slicer they never won foook all again and today when someone points out one of the Bergins or some other hero of the '15 team in some old faded photo on a wall in a pub, you will often hear "they could have won another five All-Ireland's only for that Hitler bollax and them all having to go off and fight the war"

Surely it was Queen's County?

Lecale2

Quote from: easytiger95 on August 01, 2014, 01:15:07 PM
Re the rights of small nations AZ, surely this was not hypocritical as the situations of "poor little Catholic Belgium" were linked by the Irish politicians of the day? Was it not sold to Redmond by Asquith, and then by Redmond to the Volunteers, that if they aided in Belgium's struggle for freedom, our own freedom, as in Home Rule, would be guaranteed at the conclusion of the war? The hypocrisy resided in the highest levels at Whitehall, but I'd say the normal Irish and British Tommy could well profess to have acted in the interests of small nations.

The Home Rule Bill had already been passed by the British Parliament. Implimentation was delayed due to the war.

theskull1

Quote from: easytiger95 on August 01, 2014, 01:15:07 PM

That's what my history teacher told us
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

LeoMc

02nd August: Germany occupies Luxemburg.
Queens County defeats Kilkenny