that damned flag

Started by lawnseed, July 24, 2014, 02:14:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

never kickt a ball

Quote from: lawnseed on July 24, 2014, 03:32:26 PM
Is there any street cred for a boxer with a commonwealth medal.. ?

Yes of course. Especially the heavy weights.

Milltown Row2

Jez you are a moany fecker!! You might get one for gurnning about flegs, whole feck these lads knock their fecking pan in for years to try and be the best they can at a sport and you are complaining over a fleg!! I'd say most of them don't give a hoot.

That's like saying is their any street cred in getting a medal for Juinor B
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

screenexile

Sure there is. . . 3 lads won Gold in Delhi 4 years ago... all Nationalists I think and they would have all had to stand under the 'NI' Flag listening to Danny Boy. It's obviously a bigger deal to some people than others.

A lot of people couldn't give a fcuk about a flag one way or the other especially in Sport. Should Sport and Politics not be separate anyway?

Plenty of Ulstermen have stood under the Tricolour for the Irish Rugby team so why the outrage now when it's the other way around?

lawnseed

Quote from: screenexile on July 24, 2014, 03:41:43 PM

Sure there is. . . 3 lads won Gold in Delhi 4 years ago... all Nationalists I think and they would have all had to stand under the 'NI' Flag listening to Danny Boy. It's obviously a bigger deal to some people than others.

A lot of people couldn't give a fcuk about a flag one way or the other especially in Sport. Should Sport and Politics not be separate anyway?

Plenty of Ulstermen have stood under the Tricolour for the Irish Rugby team so why the outrage now when it's the other way around?
Is the tricolour a sectarian coat trial?  You need to google ulster banner
A coward dies a thousand deaths a soldier only dies once

Milltown Row2

Quote from: lawnseed on July 24, 2014, 03:49:38 PM

It's used by some to be, you need to turn the TV off and not bother getting yourself in a frenzy
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

never kickt a ball

Quote from: lawnseed on July 24, 2014, 03:28:07 PM
Quote from: never kickt a ball on July 24, 2014, 03:24:06 PM
I see the English anthem is Jerusalem. Dare I ask what is the anthem for the "damned flaggers"? Mind you we will probably never get a chance to hear it!
Sweet jeez! The whole things a minefield :o
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on July 24, 2014, 03:51:23 PM
Quote from: lawnseed on July 24, 2014, 03:49:38 PM

It's used by some to be, you need to turn the TV off and not bother getting yourself in a frenzy

Correct

hairyUlsterman

It's a disgusting flag, at least the Irish tri-colour originally was supposed to represent the protestants, the Ulster banner wasn't intended to represent Roman Catholics in any manner what so ever, a crown on top of the red hand just doesn't cut it given its Gaelic roots, may as well stick a photo of Robert the Bruce on it.

When driving in the countryside yesterday I noticed a house with union flag bunting all around it and a massive Union flag and an Ulster banner flying from flag poles in the front garden, I don't know what sort of bigoted tr**p you need to be to feel the need to do that.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: hairyUlsterman on July 24, 2014, 03:54:08 PM
It's a disgusting flag, at least the Irish tri-colour originally was supposed to represent the protestants, the Ulster banner wasn't intended to represent Roman Catholics in any manner what so ever, a crown on top of the red hand just doesn't cut it given its Gaelic roots, may as well stick a photo of Robert the Bruce on it.

When driving in the countryside yesterday I noticed a house with union flag bunting all around it and a massive Union flag and an Ulster banner flying from flag poles in the front garden, I don't know what sort of bigoted tr**p you need to be to feel the need to do that.

And is a bitter twisted fecker no doubt, where have you been for the past 40 years? Take a dander up the Shankill  or Rathcoole, they have three poles coming out of the holders, Israel British and Norn Iron. Sad but that's the way it is

BennyCake

Talk of a new flag for NI won't happen, because no side will recognise it. Having a new neutral NI flag for events like this makes sense though so as not to "offend" any competitor.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: BennyCake on July 24, 2014, 05:21:24 PM
Talk of a new flag for NI won't happen, because no side will recognise it. Having a new neutral NI flag for events like this makes sense though so as not to "offend" any competitor.

How many competitors do you know are offended? Wouldn't be happy myself but where does it stop? It would end up people being offended representing N.I or having prods in the team

I'd say if they are offended will try and get in the Irish squad, have you ever been to the amateur boxing championships in Dublin? If you are from the north ya have to knock him out ........ twice to get a result lol

RealSpiritof98

The Flag of St. Patrick.

The ole boy always though this would be dead on, it on the Union Flag, PSNI badge but many Catholics recognize it too.

Orior

Quote from: RealSpiritof98 on July 24, 2014, 06:02:48 PM

The Flag of St. Patrick.

The ole boy always though this would be dead on, it on the Union Flag, PSNI badge but many Catholics recognize it too.

Can you check the URL? All I can see is a large red x
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

hairyUlsterman

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on July 24, 2014, 03:59:57 PM
Quote from: hairyUlsterman on July 24, 2014, 03:54:08 PM

And is a bitter twisted fecker no doubt, where have you been for the past 40 years? Take a dander up the Shankill  or Rathcoole, they have three poles coming out of the holders, Israel British and Norn Iron. Sad but that's the way it is

This is in mid-Ulster though, people on both sides usually are seen to be more moderate than Belfast, I see no need for it, the only time nationalist have flags waving from the house is when the GAA team are doing well and its never a political flag that is waved. The house I was talking about is up on a hill so that all the trafic can see it, the road actually leads to strong nationalist villages not surprisingly.

hairyUlsterman

Quote from: RealSpiritof98 on July 24, 2014, 06:02:48 PM

The Flag of St. Patrick.

I have no problem with it, I actually don't find the union flag offensive but lets face it, loyalists don't decorate the towns with the flag as a way of wanting to include the catholics.

They say they are 'Brits' but they don't have a monopoly on Britishness in Northern Ireland, I could call myself British if i wanted, Catholics even have genetic links with the Scottish highlanders from medieval times as well.