Obesity in England. What's going on?

Started by AZOffaly, July 24, 2014, 01:45:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AZOffaly

Just back from a very enjoyable break in Devon, as recommended by a couple of lads on the holiday thread, but one thing struck me over there. The amount of morbidly obese people is unreal. I'm a good few years removed from svelte myself, but good Jaysus this was woejus.

Remember I've lived in America in the past, so I've seen the problems some people have over there, but I have to say, on a proportional basis, this was worse.

I know in Ireland we have a lot of people deemed 'overweight', but we are not a patch on what I saw over in England. I was talking to a lad who had just been in Blackpool as well, and he said the same thing to me before I said anything at all.

What's going on over there?

Incidentaly entrepreneurs, massive market for womens Mumus and those little buggy/scooters for huge people.

gerrykeegan

AZ

Come up and spend some time in Dublin, where I work (near the Coombe hospital) every second person (in particular women) are gross. It doesnt help in this weather that they wear shorts and belly tops i can tell you.
I remeber reading somewhere renectly that Ireland are above the EU average for obesity.

2007  2008 & 2009 Fantasy Golf Winner
(A legitimately held title unlike Dinny's)

AZOffaly

I've seen a good few in Ireland, but honestly not like this. There's a difference between over weight and holy shit.

Under Lights

A lot of boys, under 16 team, in my area are carrying a serious amount of weight. Too many fast food outlets and junk food. All young lads have a pocket full of notes now as well, most get money to go to school in the North, so spend it on food- the woman's wee brother ,16, eats some amount of junk and gambles with his money.

seafoid

http://www.independent.ie/lifestyle/health/irish-will-be-fattest-europeans-by-2030-says-study-30263365.html

The UK and Ireland, where obesity prevalence is among the highest, possess unregulated liberal market economies similar to the US, where the collective actions of big multinational food companies to maximise profit encourages over-consumption," she said.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

AZOffaly

I think what I've seen in Ireland is 'fat' lads. Lads like myself to be honest, carrying too much around the middle. What I saw in England however was brutal. I'm talking about men and women being unable to see their toes, I'm sure. Crazy stuff. so while our statistics might say Ireland has a similar proportion of over weight people, my little sample size says that your talking about a major difference in scale. (no pun intended).

guy crouchback

maybe its just the old story of England being a few years ahead of us.
I'm just back from France and even there its a growing trend. 5 years ago it was noticeable how few over weight people especially young people you would see in France. what struck us this year was the change in that. a very noticeable increase in the amount of people who were over weight especially children.

having said that if you saw an overweight kid chances were he was English or Irish, where we were staying it was mainly french and Belgian and dutchand the few Irish and English really stood out in the weight stakes.  it was quite sad really to see all these 8 to 12 year olds who are already so fat, its hard to understand how middle class educated parents could let this happen.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: AZOffaly on July 24, 2014, 02:54:42 PM
I think what I've seen in Ireland is 'fat' lads. Lads like myself to be honest, carrying too much around the middle. What I saw in England however was brutal. I'm talking about men and women being unable to see their toes, I'm sure. Crazy stuff. so while our statistics might say Ireland has a similar proportion of over weight people, my little sample size says that your talking about a major difference in scale. (no pun intended).

Get you on the running thread, we'll sort you out soon enough!! Never had a belly, never will and I'm probably a fat snob
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

johnneycool

Fat, sugary processed food is the cheapest shit in a supermarket, try buying a load of fruit and veg and its a good bit dearer than those ready made shit..

Ever notice really fat people near always drink diet Coke..

blewuporstuffed

Quote from: Under Lights on July 24, 2014, 02:48:02 PM
A lot of boys, under 16 team, in my area are carrying a serious amount of weight. Too many fast food outlets and junk food. All young lads have a pocket full of notes now as well, most get money to go to school in the North, so spend it on food- the woman's wee brother ,16, eats some amount of junk and gambles with his money.

This grinds my gears, but is probably for another thread
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

Under Lights

Quote from: blewuporstuffed on July 24, 2014, 04:15:36 PM
Quote from: Under Lights on July 24, 2014, 02:48:02 PM

This grinds my gears, but is probably for another thread

The gear grinding thread?

heganboy

the amount of sugar in processed "food" is absolutely unbelievable. The price of this "food" is a significant part of the problem. Tax may be a good way to deal with that...
Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity

EC Unique

Strange thing is that around here a lot more people are into fitness more. Cycling has exploded and little fitness gyms are flying! 30 years ago there was nothing!

johnneycool

Quote from: EC Unique on July 24, 2014, 04:40:24 PM
Strange thing is that around here a lot more people are into fitness more. Cycling has exploded and little fitness gyms are flying! 30 years ago there was nothing!

But good old fashioned manual hard labour for 12 hours straight.

EC Unique

Quote from: johnneycool on July 24, 2014, 04:47:28 PM
Quote from: EC Unique on July 24, 2014, 04:40:24 PM

But good old fashioned manual hard labour for 12 hours straight.

I said 30 years ago. 1984. Tractors existed as did washing machines, cars, diggers etc.