Round 4 Qualfier: Kildare v Monaghan

Started by Dinny Breen, July 20, 2014, 05:40:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GrandMasterFlash

Quote from: charlie linkbox on July 25, 2014, 02:26:42 PM
Quote from: GrandMasterFlash on July 25, 2014, 01:24:55 PM
I'd definitely have McGuinness on from the start, and even in the half forward line (where score generation is needed), as he is an instinctive scoring forward i.e. get the ball and head for the sticks..

That's why I'd have McGuinness in the full forward line.

When he gets the ball, beats a man and heads for goal he might as well be through on goal as having to face another line of defence.

Sure, my preference would be the FF line too but I was thinking about the minimal return we get from our HF line when writing the post. Jury's out on Eoin Duffy but he may be the better option than Donaghy who was really lived up to his 2013 USFC final IMO!

babarino

Quote from: GrandMasterFlash on July 25, 2014, 09:57:56 PM
Quote from: charlie linkbox on July 25, 2014, 02:26:42 PM
Quote from: GrandMasterFlash on July 25, 2014, 01:24:55 PM
I'd definitely have McGuinness on from the start, and even in the half forward line (where score generation is needed), as he is an instinctive scoring forward i.e. get the ball and head for the sticks..
That's why I'd have McGuinness in the full forward line.

When he gets the ball, beats a man and heads for goal he might as well be through on goal as having to face another line of defence.

Sure, my preference would be the FF line too but I was thinking about the minimal return we get from our HF line when writing the post. Jury's out on Eoin Duffy but he may be the better option than Donaghy who was really lived up to his 2013 USFC final IMO!

A fully fit Eoin Duffy is the man, if he's anywhere near full fitness. I'd use him, much like CL was thinking. He'd suit the more orthodox way non-Ulster teams set themselves up defensively moreso than the likes of Donaghy.

Doogan should expect a good run out in this one. Midfield are going to have to go into this one at full pelt, which will mean he should get close to 30 minutes. I'd be confident that Darren and Dick will hold their own. As soon as either flags, positional switches or substitutions have to be made. This took too long last Sunday.

Such a pity about Lennon. It would sort out so many issues if he was in there, but that's life when you're drawing from a small pool.

Was Kildare the last non-Ulster team we played championship in Croker? Kerry before that.

rrhf

This game is too tight to call. Monaghan are not as good as I thought they were and Kildare probably better

babarino

Quote from: rrhf on July 25, 2014, 10:46:15 PM
This game is too tight to call. Monaghan are not as good as I thought they were and Kildare probably better

Ye can tell that the Kildare boys fancy their chances, as do we. I'm hopeful of a bit of a cracker.

They understandably don't want to meet the Dubs and are hopeful of an alternative. We know we can only face them, if we come out on top. That focus will stand to us, while they fret over the chances of getting another roasting. Maybe we'll get roasted...but somehow I doubt it.

Monaghan haven't had it easy up to now, but there's a lot more left in the tank.

armaghniac

QuoteThey understandably don't want to meet the Dubs and are hopeful of an alternative.

Let the Kildare people cheer for Meath to avoid meeting the Dubs. Let them abandon their usual carryon with horses and armoured cars and head into Croker to provide some atmosphere.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Main Street

Strange that Kildare are so scared of meeting the Dubs?
No wonder when it comes to dolling out the Leinster cash, the Dubs swagger out with bags and bags of it.

Ohtoohtobe

Some men for deciding what Kildare players think and want on the back of zero evidence.

INDIANA

From a Dublin perspective we need to play a team that plays a blanket.

I'd prefer if Monaghan won for that reason.

Whitnail

The monaghan blanket was ticking nicely until the Ulster final and fully expect it to get back to optimum levels here.
I'd have questions about whether Kildare can improve a leaky defense in just two weeks.
At times they're as good as any going forward but it's tough to rack up scores against Monaghan.

I'll  have be put my money on the ulster team for this one.

Captain Scarlet

Jaysus I wouldn't say Kildare are even close to being as good as any going forward. There isn't enough spark up front but to be fair the team are missing Broohy and Mulhall recently who are quality players.
Just from the Farney folk here, is it just my notion it would ye love to see Tomas O'Connor on the edge if the square? Or Podge Fogarty type who is the big man type.
I just feel they would be eaten up by Wylie and co?
them mysterons are always killing me but im grand after a few days.sickenin aul dose all the same.

Jinxy

The Kildare lads are fierce quiet about this game.

If you were any use you'd be playing.

Syferus

Quote from: Jinxy on July 28, 2014, 04:54:53 PM
The Kildare lads are fierce quiet about this game.

Who let Kildare train at the Hyde???

armaghniac

Quote from: Captain Scarlet on July 28, 2014, 04:43:23 PM
I just feel they would be eaten up by Wylie and co?

Wylie has been training especially for the Kildare threat

If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

babarino

http://www.u.tv/Weather/dublin It looks like a hard rain's gonna fall, during the game.

inexile

At the moment I'm reading this thread using Firefox on Linux and I can see the photos in replies 40 and 41, now I know from the last time I looked at the thread that post 42 has a photo as well, but it is completely missing , not a traced of it using this browser/OS.  But when I look at the phone the photo is still there. Gas isn't it? Hope Monagan go missing like that on Saturday night.