Three Cheers for Cavan finally getting to play in the New Croke Park

Started by Maximus Marillius, April 16, 2007, 02:53:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

North Longford

Watched the 97 semi on the hill with the missus (to be at the time). She's cavan to the bone (although during my absence on Sunday the young fella who's only 4 convinced her to bring him to the Longford/Clare game so we are making slight progress).
Anyway one of my abiding memories from the game was the hill for the couple of minutes after Russells goal. I remember (fairly bravely) saying to herself on the way home that I never thought I'd see the day that I'd be in the middle of 10 ones from Cavan let alone 10,000 and for not one of them to have something to say!!!! Jesus the silence!!!

CavanCola

Other Abiding memories from 97:

1. Cavan warming up. Running between the Hogan and Cusack and getting a standing ovation on both sides of the park.
2. Damien O'Reilly getting stuck into Paudi O'Shea when Paudi came on to the field to give some advice to one of his players.

realredhandfan

Watched the 97 semi in the old Hogan.  Cavans corner back had a mare and lost the ball coming out many time leading to many scores.  They obviously werent up for it, until they got a glimpse of winning and by then it was too late.  For Cavan 97 see Westmeath in 2004.  partied out after winning their provincial.  They ultimately lacked ambition and Mc hugh knew it and got out.  Possibly could have achieved more had they took the 95 Ulster only Tyrone stopped them that day.    That 97 was the worst Kerry team  to win an All Ireland from then to current day.  They preceded to play Mayo in the original puke football match, and their victory will always be tainted by the allegations made vehemently in some circles afterwards that it was another handy all ireland for the cute hoors.   

Fishead_Sam

Realredhandfan as everbody knows Kerry did not beat Mayo in the 1997 All-Ireland Final, Mauricew Fitzgerald did. The rest of the Kerry team was as poor as Mayo.

realredhandfan

I still maintain if Tyrone were bovered in 97 it was their campaign to lose.  not bovered though.

Fishead_Sam

That was a crazy year 1997, Kerry where not that good, we blew it big time yet again. That Kerry team would be no match for the ones that gave us hidings in 2004 & 2006

BallyhaiseMan

There was supposedly arguments in the Cavan Camp that day,in Croker aswell,Between McHugh and Donal Donoghue etc.
Didnt McHugh take a seat for most of the game?
rrhf Tyrone took a fair and suprising beating in the Ulster Semi Final that year didnt they?

Kerry Mike

97 was not a great one for the purists but we beat the Ulster and Connacht champions along the way and we were the best of a bad lot that year. The fact we only played Tipp and Clare in Munster probably reflects on a poor championship. Kerry were raw at the time with the bulk of the team just out of underage teams and it was 2000 before they reached their full potential.
After the debacle of Meath in 2001 the team was rebuilt and we have just missed one final since then.

But we will take 97 it was a turning point for us in the transition from the Glory days of the 70's and 80's, and I'd still rather win an AI in a crap year than lose in a good one.
2011: McGrath Cup
AI Junior Club
Hurling Christy Ring Cup
Munster Senior Football

realredhandfan

Tyrone scored a superb early goal from centre back Noel Donnelly (manager of Omagh CBS) and Derry never looked back.  The infamous Brolly kissing scenes etc.  Tyrone were still suffering from a hangover form the Meath defeat the year before and did not show the bouncebackability that Mayo have shown consistently since after truly earth shattering defeats.   

FarneyMan

1997, the only year in recent history that i didnt supported the Ulster Champions in the All-ireland Semi's................... ;D

BallyhaiseMan

Quote from: FarneyMan on April 18, 2007, 02:06:25 PM
1997, the only year in recent history that i didnt supported the Ulster Champions in the All-ireland Semi's................... ;D

i was going to support you lot against Meath aswell,Being fellow Ulstermen and all,Well f**k that.
Come on Meath!!!

>:(  :D

cavanmaniac

Quote from: FarneyMan on April 18, 2007, 02:06:25 PM

Jasus, you'd never know, but if we hang around on God's good earth for long enough, Cavan people may even live to be faced with the same Hobson's choice some day, who knows?

MaroonAndWhite

Careful of the Rossie boys.....theyll be well aware theyre not the best of footballers and will attempt to kick ye off the park. Theyve been trying that trick with Galway and Mayo for years!!!