Round 4 Qualfier: Armagh v Meath

Started by armaghniac, July 20, 2014, 03:49:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

illdecide

Quote from: Jinxy on July 25, 2014, 12:45:01 AM
In my opinion, we can't cut the S&C gap with this current group of players.
Everyone can get fit but everyone can't be an athlete.
There's an important distinction between the two.
Our young players need to be arriving into the senior set-up with 4-5 good years of intelligent, science-based S&C training.
It may sound harsh, but we need to weed out players who don't have the necessary athleticism.
We have too many players that are not physically or biomechanically suited to the elite level of the modern game and trying to pack muscle on them won't make much of a difference.
It gives me no pleasure to say it, but some of our younger guys that played against Dublin will never be able to physically compete with them no matter how much training we throw at them.
And Dublin are the benchmark ultimately.
Of course, the other way to compete is to develop an ultra-defensive, ultra-physical, ultra-disciplined system of play.
That will narrow the gap in fairness, but it's a short-term solution to a long-term problem.

Jasus you'll be looking to play in Ulster next...Dublin are good but they're not robots and they can be beaten, remember they are still city men and when a bunch of hungrier culchie men get at them they'll give Dublin their fill of it...for me Mayo or Donegal and possibly Kerry are the teams to knock them off their perch...

Anyway enough of that dung how many points defeat for u Meath men is acceptable :P...seriously though I think this game could finish up level after 70 mins as I don't see a big difference between the two teams. Meath now know there is no safety net and will be defensive like Armagh and they'll be hard to break down
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

thejuice

you're probably right there Jinxy , but that said we're good enough to be in the top eight in the country with is group of players if they can improve their s&c. If they can get Meath consistently well placed in div 1 then they will have achieved something important from the county going forward though they might not get much silverware for it.
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

Jinxy

Quote from: illdecide on July 25, 2014, 01:08:35 AM
Quote from: Jinxy on July 25, 2014, 12:45:01 AM
In my opinion, we can't cut the S&C gap with this current group of players.
Everyone can get fit but everyone can't be an athlete.
There's an important distinction between the two.
Our young players need to be arriving into the senior set-up with 4-5 good years of intelligent, science-based S&C training.
It may sound harsh, but we need to weed out players who don't have the necessary athleticism.
We have too many players that are not physically or biomechanically suited to the elite level of the modern game and trying to pack muscle on them won't make much of a difference.
It gives me no pleasure to say it, but some of our younger guys that played against Dublin will never be able to physically compete with them no matter how much training we throw at them.
And Dublin are the benchmark ultimately.
Of course, the other way to compete is to develop an ultra-defensive, ultra-physical, ultra-disciplined system of play.
That will narrow the gap in fairness, but it's a short-term solution to a long-term problem.

Jasus you'll be looking to play in Ulster next...Dublin are good but they're not robots and they can be beaten, remember they are still city men and when a bunch of hungrier culchie men get at them they'll give Dublin their fill of it...for me Mayo or Donegal and possibly Kerry are the teams to knock them off their perch...

Anyway enough of that dung how many points defeat for u Meath men is acceptable :P...seriously though I think this game could finish up level after 70 mins as I don't see a big difference between the two teams. Meath now know there is no safety net and will be defensive like Armagh and they'll be hard to break down

I'm not worried about the robots, we can beat them!
If you were any use you'd be playing.

hairyUlsterman

Ard Mhacha will win this, Derry never recovered from when they were attacked by the Dublin Vikings in May, it'll be the same with the men from Tara.

thejuice

Bookies have Armagh as slight favourites. It's an unusual situation where it's really hard to gauge how good either team really are. We've seen both bad and good from both this year. Hopefully we'll get a clearer picture after this for Meath.
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

Syferus

Quote from: thejuice on July 26, 2014, 05:45:40 PM
Bookies have Armagh as slight favourites. It's an unusual situation where it's really hard to gauge how good either team really are. We've seen both bad and good from both this year. Hopefully we'll get a clearer picture after this for Meath.

To be fair Armagh have been pretty consistent in this year's championship. The league seems an ancient memory for them at this stage.

Armamike

It's a really hard one to call. Arguments can be made for both teams.  I don't think Armagh will be reading too much into Meath's defeat to Dublin.  Last year we met Galway off the back of their drubbing by Mayo and who weren't expected to be up to much.  They turned their game plan around completely in the space of a few weeks and really tightened up.  Would expect Meath to react in a similar way and to have learnt a good bit from the Dublin game.
That's just, like your opinion man.

thejuice

RealSpiritof98

As an Armagh Supporter I know its hard to say this given we are a pessimistic bunch but I feel we might win this one comfortably. Cant really break it down but we have a lot of momentum ATM and I feel this team will thrive in Croker. I know I could be wrong however its how im feeling as opposed to the its gonna be tight blah blah.

armaghniac

QuoteAs an Armagh Supporter I know its hard to say this given we are a pessimistic bunch but I feel we might win this one comfortably. Cant really break it down but we have a lot of momentum ATM and I feel this team will thrive in Croker

The Wexford hurlers might have been said to have had momentum, but they've crashed and burned today against provincial final losers. Armagh should be careful with this one.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Jinxy

Quote from: RealSpiritof98 on July 27, 2014, 02:51:59 AM
As an Armagh Supporter I know its hard to say this given we are a pessimistic bunch but I feel we might win this one comfortably. Cant really break it down but we have a lot of momentum ATM and I feel this team will thrive in Croker. I know I could be wrong however its how im feeling as opposed to the its gonna be tight blah blah.

Sickening arrogance.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

naka

To be fair
Most Armagh supporters think this will be a tough ask but are quietly confident.
Even if we do get over it can't see us going any further

Captain Obvious

Armagh have already beaten Tyrone who are a better side than Meath however the Leinster lads could be like a wounded animal after the lashing received last week and sometimes the croke park occasion can get to a side.

ardchieftain

All the cute hoorism on this site would do your head in. It will be very disappointing if Armagh don't win.

Have had limited internet access over the last few weeks so forgive me asking a question which i'm sure has been asked before. Meath supporters, do you not feel that Meath lay down in the Leinster final? Never thought i'd see the day that happened, especially against the Dubs!

RealSpiritof98

Quote from: Jinxy on July 27, 2014, 03:27:44 PM
Quote from: RealSpiritof98 on July 27, 2014, 02:51:59 AM

Sickening arrogance.

I fail to see how its sickening, have a look at the Tyrone v Armagh thread pre-game and then you will find arrogance. Jaysus this place has got very sensitive. I just feel we are due a really big day when everything clicks. We have amassed quite a lot of scoring opportunities and haven't really converted a high majority in any of our games. I just thought I would document it before the game rather than say I thought we would win this easy after the game. In saying that Meath could really blow us out of water and i could have egg on my face, but Hay-ho.