Ulster Final show of solidarity with Gaza

Started by babarino, July 18, 2014, 10:06:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sidney

Quote from: whitey on July 20, 2014, 03:05:04 AM
Quote from: Sidney on July 20, 2014, 02:01:19 AM
Quote from: hairyUlsterman on July 20, 2014, 01:26:57 AM
Politics has no room is sport.
On the contrary, politics and sport have always mixed and will continue to mix - the GAA itself throughout its history is an obvious example.

Saying sport and politics don't mix is one of the laziest cliches out there.

Just out of curiosity...do you think a pro Israel demonstration should be allowed as well?
If the residents of Clones are fine with it, why not? Good luck with organising it.

Do you think it was right that apartheid South Africa was banned from international sport?

whitey

Quote from: Sidney on July 20, 2014, 08:55:02 AM
Quote from: whitey on July 20, 2014, 03:05:04 AM
On the contrary, politics and sport have always mixed and will continue to mix - the GAA itself throughout its history is an obvious example.

Just out of curiosity...do you think a pro Israel demonstration should be allowed as well?
If the residents of Clones are fine with it, why not? Good luck with organising it.

Do you think it was right that apartheid South Africa was banned from international sport?

I have a pretty good memory, but I dont seem to recall the ANC lobbing thousands of missiles into the residential neighbourhoods of Johannesburg and Pretoria.

Youre comparing apples and oranges here

armaghniac

QuoteI have a pretty good memory, but I dont seem to recall the ANC lobbing thousands of missiles into the residential neighbourhoods of Johannesburg and Pretoria.

So people that bomb residential neighbourhoods are clearly in the wrong, in your opinion?
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

whitey

Quote from: armaghniac on July 20, 2014, 02:12:13 PM
QuoteI have a pretty good memory, but I dont seem to recall the ANC lobbing thousands of missiles into the residential neighbourhoods of Johannesburg and Pretoria.

So people that bomb residential neighbourhoods are clearly in the wrong, in your opinion?

I'm talking about Hamas....not sure who you're referring to

armaghniac

Does Israel not also bomb residential areas, beaches and the like?
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

hairyUlsterman

So lets just say the British take a lot of interest in the GAA over the next 50 years, would you support the GAA being used as a tool for British political issues? When someone refuses to wear a poppy the majority of Irishmen say that politics has no room in sport.

Milltown Row2

You're fond of bringing politics into sport
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

hairyUlsterman

'Ulster Gaels'

I've never understood 'Gael' being used to describe GAA people, the Gaels were people who lived in Gaelic Ireland centuries ago, it's a bit like calling  Cork City FC Vikings.

give her dixie

Well done Donegal as they raise the Palestine flag high in Clones at the final whistle.
next stop, September 10, for number 4......

orangeman

Quote from: give her dixie on July 20, 2014, 05:41:24 PM
Well done Donegal as they raise the Palestine flag high in Clones at the final whistle.

There'll be trouble about this !!!

give her dixie

Quote from: orangeman on July 20, 2014, 05:42:37 PM
Quote from: give her dixie on July 20, 2014, 05:41:24 PM

There'll be trouble about this !!!

The BBC are beside themselves trying to cut away every time the camera picks up the flags on the pitch. 

I have flown my flag at GAA grounds, and will continue to do so !!!

give her dixie

Quote from: hardstation on July 20, 2014, 08:26:19 PM
I remember being in Croke Park for an Ulster Final when there was a minute silence for people who died in England.

7/7 attacks in London if I remember correctly?

Itchy

The people at the match today are the GAA and can put up any bloody flag they want. Ive no love for Hamas, a bunch of counter productive fools but what israel is doing is breeching all rules if war. If the tools in power in this country had any moral fibre they would expel the Israeli ambassador and stop trade with that country.

Aerlik

Itchy, Israel does not recognise the conflict with Hamas as "war", just as Britain doesn't recognise the conflict in the Six Counties as "war"; by refusing to do so they do not have to abide by any "rules of war".  Hence the atrocities.

And for those of you yelping and gurning that people should not use the GAA as a political tool, cast your mind back to the 1992 European Championship when Denmark, which was invited in only after Serbia was kicked out, won the tournament.

Re. our northern Six Counties brethren who would be pro-Israel, I assume none of them were in the Spion Kop in 1992 when the loyal and faithful threw packets of bacon at the Israelis every time they got a corner! 
To find his equal an Irishman is forced to talk to God!

haveaharp

Quote from: hairyUlsterman on July 20, 2014, 04:49:38 PM
'Ulster Gaels'

I've never understood 'Gael' being used to describe GAA people, the Gaels were people who lived in Gaelic Ireland centuries ago, it's a bit like calling  Cork City FC Vikings.

So when did they move out ?